Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

My stone centipede had babies

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Jororo, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Jororo

Jororo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    And these things are TINY!! I was able to find five of them "swimming" around the substrate. They're all white except for one which has a darker head. What do I feed to a critter that is smaller than a fruit fly!? Will they scavenge? Or maybe spring tails? I can't imagine springtails are very nutritious.

2. Jororo

Jororo Arachnopeon

Oh, sorry, uncommon name is Lithobius forficatus.
    Cuz common names suck

3. hecklad

hecklad Arachnosquire Active Member

I think springtails will be your best bet. There are other things they would eat but I could not even begin to tell you where to get those other than outside, which you may or may not want to do

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jororo

Jororo Arachnopeon

Okay cool! Almost everything outside around here is probably gone for the season anyway. Hopefully springtails will do the trick

5. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    I’ve never dealt with stone centipedes. From my experience with the larger Pedes, when the babies are white that means they aren’t ready to eat usually.

6. Jororo

Jororo Arachnopeon

Thank you! That was also something I didn't know. I never really planned or expected baby centipedes. I also read just now that this species does really well kept together. Don't know if I'll try that but it could be fun.

7. Scoly

Scoly Arachnobaron Active Member

I keep these. They will feed on dog food, mites and springtails. So basically, throw in a bit of human food once in a while to boost the mite and sprintail numbers (don't worry, you already have mites, and that's fine).

8. Jororo

Jororo Arachnopeon

Oh trust me, I know about the mites haha. They don't bother me. They're ugly but thats about it. I gotta say I could never picture a centipede eating dog food though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.