My spinifer hide a lot...

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some spinifer in my 15 gallon tank.. four of them... The first day they were clumsily exploring the tank all day and now theyve just been hiding for 2 days straight. I thought they were more active than emps? I have the temp between 72 and 78 degrees throughout out the tank with moisture. When will they come out?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's normal for them to hide. If you are lucky you might see them early evening or early morning or somewhere inbetween.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks... i got them 3 days ago how long should i wait to feed?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personal preference. i feed my scorps once a week...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hardly ever see the spinifers. I have two. I usually go to bed around 2:30am and I still rarely see them. I look under their rock once every week or two just to see if they are still alive. I'd rather them be under their rock than running around all stressed out though:).

polphot

Arachnopeon
Its normal for emps/spinifers to be often buried or inside the hides. I usually get sight on my spinifer around 1am when all of the room lights are off and usually strolling around the tank early morning.

You can try by putting a feeder at night then take it out of the enclosure after two days when its uneaten. You can re-try feeding it after two days again from there on you can know its feeding habits.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Without having all sp of Hetrometrus it's hard to say but certainly my H.laocticus, spinifer, cyanae and longimanus are never out in the daytime and i only ever rarely see them of an evening/nighttime. In fact i haven't seen my laocticus for approx 3 months now allthough he takes his weekly cricket (usually!) so i know he's still alive.
As for spinifer, cyanae and longimanus, they are basically just the same........not exactly what you could call "Display Scorpions";)

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My trio of laoticus have been pretty active. I had all three of them out one night. But yeah, big ole burrows aren't display scorpions really. If I didn't check to see if the female has dropped kids yet, I'd probably forget about them. ;)

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to get scorpions that aren't in scorpioniiade. Try buthids, you'll find some active ones in there.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah i know, but i love the forest species. Their claws and size are so cool, i just wish they wouldnt hide so damn much... arent buthids really small?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah i know, but i love the forest species. Their claws and size are so cool, i just wish they wouldnt hide so damn much... arent buthids really small?
Some are, some aren't. There was a nice discussion going out about V> spinigerus, not a buthid, but an interesting scorp nonetheless.... Bark scorpions are the types that like hanging out in the open/during daylight hours, some centruoides some lychas etc. But you are correct, forest scorpions do get large and are really interesting to look at but once they hide they start getting real boring. That's why this hobby is so addicting, just like a bad drug, once you dont get that high anymore, it's time to move on to bigger and better things,lol. Best of luck though... if you want you can try to raise the temp by a few degrees, that might spark they're ambitions.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tried that... i have it nearly 80 degress right now. I want to see them out and about but more importantly... If they are out and about i can make sure each one eats...