My spiders.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Aye. They're so comical when they dig their little pits and then cover themselves over.
I agree... it's probably more fun watching them dig their little pits and covering themselves than watching them pounce on their prey :rofl:

basin79

ArachnoGod
4 new spiderlings joined me yesterday.

Linothele fallax. Little rascal fed this morning.

Hogna schmitzi. Again fed this morning.

Liphistius yangae

Liphistius sp Khao Luang

basin79

ArachnoGod
Platythomisus octomaculatus

She wasn't best pleased to see me this morning.

Soon calmed down though.

My little Liphistius yangae fed this morning too. Also fed the lass above.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Got to love just how incredible these spiders are.

A tiny Liphistius yangae sling has done that. That is a tiny trapdoor with trip wires inside a sling pot. The trapdoor is 5mm across at most.

BA1BD3C6-09AB-4576-8A65-A3759A6EE5EA.jpeg

basin79

ArachnoGod
Got a screen shot from a video I recorded earlier today of my Liphistius yangae.

AA28DEA6-B61F-47EC-8DD8-02E22D6C65A5.jpeg

basin79

ArachnoGod
All 4 of my recent slings feeding.

Liphistius sp Khao Luang
Linothele fallax
Hogna schmitzi
Liphistius yangae

basin79

ArachnoGod
Like the train spotter that got hit with a steam train I'm chuffed to bits. My Hogna schmitzi has moulted. 30E1F2B3-0A4D-4C61-A8DB-53876EAE9AE0.jpeg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I recently got some of these too, they’re about the same size as yours. Crazy how they’ll take down prey nearly twice their size (at least one of mine did).
I was surprised at just how forward they are with prey. Reminded me very much of a Phidippus sp jumper in how they quickly spot the prey and run in towards it.

basin79

ArachnoGod
3 spider moults.

Liphistius yangae sling
86E88E5B-FFBF-406E-B893-9FD343429534.jpeg

Linothele fallax sling
5901292A-93AB-4DE2-8A03-AF72C2DCB991.jpeg

Young juvenile Sicarius thomisoides
F978AFE6-8142-4934-9655-4ECAFE8DA26A.jpeg

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So glad I found this thread!

Two questions:

1. How big do the Hogna Schmitzi get? I tried looking around this forum and Google and the only information I found was in technical papers where I wasn't sure if the size was body only or diagonal leg span.

2. Where would you rate the Schmitzi on difficulty to keep or required experience level of the keeper? I've always thought wolf spiders were neat and one with orange legs is just awesome. That said, I'm basically a beginner when it comes to T's and am not used to / comfortable with over aggro or defensive T's. Super fast ones that always try to escape would probably qualify as too much as this time.

Thanks and awesome spiders!

basin79

ArachnoGod
So glad I found this thread!

Two questions:

1. How big do the Hogna Schmitzi get? I tried looking around this forum and Google and the only information I found was in technical papers where I wasn't sure if the size was body only or diagonal leg span.

2. Where would you rate the Schmitzi on difficulty to keep or required experience level of the keeper? I've always thought wolf spiders were neat and one with orange legs is just awesome. That said, I'm basically a beginner when it comes to T's and am not used to / comfortable with over aggro or defensive T's. Super fast ones that always try to escape would probably qualify as too much as this time.

Thanks and awesome spiders!
I'm not sure how large they get to be honest. In terms of care this is the 1st wolf spider I've ever had. I'm keeping the sling on dry substrate and add a drop of water that I let sink into the substrate once a week. Thankfully mine (assuming all) is extremely forward with regards to hunting feeding so hatchling crickets are taken pretty much straight away.

You might want to start with a juvenile so you don't have to deal with such tiny prey though.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure how large they get to be honest. In terms of care this is the 1st wolf spider I've ever had. I'm keeping the sling on dry substrate and add a drop of water that I let sink into the substrate once a week. Thankfully mine (assuming all) is extremely forward with regards to hunting feeding so hatchling crickets are taken pretty much straight away.

You might want to start with a juvenile so you don't have to deal with such tiny prey though.
Hi basin, thanks for the reply!

Do you view yours as aggro, defensive, or flighty? Obviously they are fast from the feeding video. But does yours use its speed to try and escape or charge you when you enter the enclosure?

What size was yours when you got it?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi basin, thanks for the reply!

Do you view yours as aggro, defensive, or flighty? Obviously they are fast from the feeding video. But does yours use its speed to try and escape or charge you when you enter the enclosure?

What size was yours when you got it?
Mine is tiny. Have you not seen the pics?
C88006D2-FDEC-4F7B-81FE-6C0472322EFA.jpeg

basin79

ArachnoGod
Looks about the size of my pumpkin patch. Maybe 1/4 of an inch? I would try to feed pre-kill pieces for scavenging purposes at that size.
After the recent moult I'd think so yes.