My sons spider escaped, what to do?

Casey9996

Arachnopeon
I am sorry to hear that this happened.

Is the spider completely gone or is it still alive?
She had kind of a larger abdomen (my son stated overfeeding her a bit before he left and advised me to feed her 1 cricket only once a week and a half to slim her down a bit) and it's safe to say she's gone

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A cat (unless one under drugs or Tavor, or totally dumb) will literally destroy a Theraphosidae if he/she wants, mark my words. Yeah, including an OW one.

Here the issue is for the eight legged only IMO. People in general tend to underestimate cats skills, and act overprotective with them: bad mistake :-s

Cats are ninja predators & pure architects. Here (and btw not exactly against a pet rock potato one, but a NW arboreal... yeah, a 'Psalmo'):

Please note the Japanese vintage style sound u_u

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I really hate these ____ vs _____ videos that people put together, essentially cock fighting with different animals for entertainment and clicks/views. As is usually the case, animals are preferable to humans.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It did not end well I am sorry to say :(

I tore my room up last night, and found no trace, and blocked off the door with a towel but my husband moved it while I was asleep, so she must have found her way back into our room, and hid underneath the sheet on the very end of my bed.

My husband pulled the sheets off to wash them after we checked the laundry room to make sure she wasn't in there, and she was here right beneath the last thin sheet but fell off almost as soon as it was pulled and hit the hard tile floor and our bed is quite high up :(

I feel very upset guilty and sad about this. We could have scooped her right up if I had more forethought.

And still paranoid, as if she were still about and in danger of being stepped on; although that is impossible and the other three are safely in their containers.

Thank you all for being so polite and helpful to me, it made this ordeal much easier and I have better knowledge in case it were to ever occur again- although I have moved them elsewhere as a precaution because nobody wins here, and I would like to prevent it from ever occurring again.
You know, it was not a happy ending, but all things considered, it still could have been worse. You or one of your animals could have been hurt AND the spider destroyed. Don't beat yourself up too much...at least you sought knowledge here when so many people would not have.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
A cat (unless one under drugs or Tavor, or totally dumb) will literally destroy a Theraphosidae if he/she wants, mark my words. Yeah, including an OW one.

Here the issue is for the eight legged only IMO. People in general tend to underestimate cats skills, and act overprotective with them: bad mistake :-s

Cats are ninja predators & pure architects. Here (and btw not exactly against a pet rock potato one, but a NW arboreal... yeah, a 'Psalmo'):

Please note the Japanese vintage style sound u_u
Its like the climax of a 1970's samurai film batlle scene

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She had kind of a larger abdomen (my son stated overfeeding her a bit before he left and advised me to feed her 1 cricket only once a week and a half to slim her down a bit) and it's safe to say she's gone
Oh dear, that must have been a gruesome sight. So sorry you had to go through this :(

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It did not end well I am sorry to say :(

I tore my room up last night, and found no trace, and blocked off the door with a towel but my husband moved it while I was asleep, so she must have found her way back into our room, and hid underneath the sheet on the very end of my bed.

My husband pulled the sheets off to wash them after we checked the laundry room to make sure she wasn't in there, and she was here right beneath the last thin sheet but fell off almost as soon as it was pulled and hit the hard tile floor and our bed is quite high up :(

I feel very upset guilty and sad about this. We could have scooped her right up if I had more forethought.

And still paranoid, as if she were still about and in danger of being stepped on; although that is impossible and the other three are safely in their containers.

Thank you all for being so polite and helpful to me, it made this ordeal much easier and I have better knowledge in case it were to ever occur again- although I have moved them elsewhere as a precaution because nobody wins here, and I would like to prevent it from ever occurring again.
I am sorry for your loss and the stress this has caused you. I would just be honest with your son about the loss. That species is easy to replace so it would be better to have a clear conscious that you are sorry, and explain what happened. Sheets, clothing, and towels are a hiding place T's like when they are scared.

The positive here is that you have learned more about the fragility of many spiders. People see the exaggerations of them in various videos and movies that make them look vicious and agile, but that isn't the case on the giant majority. Almost none of them really want to bite you. They just want to protect themselves and use their venom on food (which is much smaller than a cat).

Walker253

Arachnobaron
That wasn't the conclusion I had hoped for, too bad. I swear the beginning of the thread was going to end like this; "I looked in the enclosure and there was a King Baboon sitting there"..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That wasn't the conclusion I had hoped for, too bad. I swear the beginning of the thread was going to end like this; "I looked in the enclosure and there was a King Baboon sitting there"..
i remember that thread, but can't find it anymore. That was pretty hilarious. Losing a G.pulchripes i believe, and find a King Baboon instead...:rofl:

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
That gives me an idea.
If you want a new Grammostola sp. you just need to lose a P. muticus! It's that simple!

Jokes aside. Sorry for your loss :(

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Hi. So this is what happened:

I went away for 6 months and told my mother to take care of my tarantulas until I come back. Everything was going fine until one day (cant really remember when, but probably around 3 months ago) my mom said that my King Baboon escaped. Lucky, they found her and placed her back to her enclosure. Yesterday I came back and found out that what is now in the enclosure is a G. pulchripes and I have no idea where she came from.

So this is my guess: King Baboon escaped and somehow, my mom found a some stray or escapee golden knee and, thinking that it was the escaped baboon, placed her in the enclosure.

So my questions are: 1) what are the chances that the baboon is still alive (its probably around 3.5 when it got away), 2) any ideas on how I can find her (if shes still alive).

Any help would be much appreciated.
i remember that thread, but can't find it anymore. That was pretty hilarious. Losing a G.pulchripes i believe, and find a King Baboon instead...:rofl:
Right here, 12/1/16 LOLOLOL