My solution for dishless enclosures.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Dont you just hate it when ur precious little turd overturn/bury ur waterdish, putting you in a unnecessary and unneeded maintenance mode? Well heres a solution for you!!

plastic sheets like plastic envelopes (which i used) could be a good alternative for water dishes,just cut it up to adequate size pieces(preferably big enough to hold more water but small enough for the T to get a hold of it and drag it if it needs to),spray water on both sides, place it inside the enclosure, and you're good to go!

But theres a catch, you should try to place it very near ur pet or 'spoon feed' it to them(like how they feed pre-killed prey on most T feeding videos) because the water could dry up very quickly specially on bone dry setups,so its better for the them to grab onto it as quickly as possible to get the water they need.

Sure theres spraying the whole enclosure,but most of the time,that leads to the T being sprayed as well,and thats a no-no,sure you can prod the thing with a brush to get it in its hide first but for someone like me who respects the speed and the feistyness of tarantulas,this usually leads to breath takin',heart poundin',ball sweatin' moments.

Theres also the spraying of just the sides of the enclosure as another alternative,but that usually leave stains,and if your pet is still at juvie stage(like mine),then your enclosure is probably still too small for spraying just the sides,also in the habitual monitoring of my pets,it seems like they're having a hard time grabbing onto the sides when its wet,specially the terrestials.

Ive uploaded a pict of my A.seemanni (my beautiful turd who loves to dig and bury its water dish) when i placed the water dish and its reaction about some minute after

I do this once a week,usually 3-4days after/before feeding time(which is also once a week)

So why dont you try it out now and save urself some precious time for other things than cleaning and battling for the water dish!!

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!!

No there isnt,i just feel like i had to type that part :p.

Actually there is, ive only tried this on slings and juvies as theyre the only ones i got so far,so i dont have any outputs for adult size. I've only been in the hobby for 7months so im still new and still thinking and researching for various ways to ease life for my Ts and my maintenance,so other innovative ideas that you are willing to share are very welcome. Some inputs about this ideas' possible disadvantage for the Ts would be greatly appreciated too :)

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
uh, no. just use a deep dish and bury it in the sub. that sounds really inefficient. might as well not include a water dish at all.

takes 10 min to clean every dish in the room. itd take an hour to try to spoon feed all my spiders water. not to mention the constantly pissed off OWs would not appreciate it.
IMG_20170509_163321148.jpg

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try using an ice cube. It's a solid form of water that steadily drips liquid water. They love it.

No don't do that. Also, I think you may be overthinking the water dish thing. Unless you have a few hundred T's, watering shouldn't be a huge concern, more a minor task. Water bowls aren't that big of a headache. If mine aren't buried, I fill them with a syringe with an 18g. needle. I can stick it through the vent holes and shoot it into the bowl without opening the enclosure. It works well with minimum fuss.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I just use bottle tops,,, dirty ones go in bucket, fresh ones go in.
wash the old ones. Repeat every few days.

It really doesn't take long and allows me time with my T's

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I dont worry about dumped dishes. They will get moisture from the sub or get it from the humidity, same as if the dish were in there. Don't keep refilling if they are dumping, unless u want mold and mites running around. I put the dish on top the enclosure, and refill/replace when the wet spot has dried a bit.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Try using an ice cube. It's a solid form of water that steadily drips liquid water. They love it.

No don't do that.
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! Now what the hell am I supposed to do with all these damn ice cubes covered in cocofiber and moss :mad: ?

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a magnetic feeder dish for my G. pulchra. She's flipped or filled every souffle cup I've put in. I keep it about an inch above the sub so she doesn't bury it when she's making hills. So far so good. Similar to this:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I use a magnetic feeder dish for my G. pulchra. She's flipped or filled every souffle cup I've put in. I keep it about an inch above the sub so she doesn't bury it when she's making hills. So far so good. Similar to this:
I had a similar idea a little while ago where i thought i could hot glue a little platform to the wall an inch above the substrate and put a water dish on that, but I thought a tarantula could still pile up enough substrate to make a mound over it anyway. You know they would try :l

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A feeder dish? o_O

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I had an idea of making dish holders out of clay.. They are heavy enough to prevent the T from flipping them. Also if there is a really tight fit they wouldn't be able to pull the cup out.. I might try it one day and we'll see

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If the enclosure is too small for me to fit in a water dish then I just put in a small clump of moss and pipette a few drops of water onto that twice a week, they drink from that.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
i think it was @viper69 who once suggested little cups tattoo artists use during tattooing. I know a guy who does tattoos and went to check them out. For slings in tiny enclosures they are great. You need a syringe to fill them but they are awesome and cheap too! I'll be definitely getting them soon!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think it was @viper69 who once suggested little cups tattoo artists use during tattooing. I know a guy who does tattoos and went to check them out. For slings in tiny enclosures they are great. You need a syringe to fill them but they are awesome and cheap too! I'll be definitely getting them soon!
Well, I have promoted them a lot lately, but in point of fact, it's my good friend @14pokies who told me about them. He should get the credit ;)