My sling only hangs out at the top of the enclosure, how can I improve the enclosure to make it more appealing?

Sather

Arachnopeon
Title, I recently purchased a Brachypelma Smithi ex Annitha sling from a reptile store that offered complete packages for beginners. I've never owned a tarantula before, and it came with the sling, enclosure, substrate and decorations, etc.

I placed my sling in it and for the first few days it seems alright, it accepted meals and I misted the enclosure as necessary. For the past few days I've seen the sling spend most if not all of it's time climbing to the top of the enclosure. I did some research and I thing the T might not like the set up of the enclosure, but I've also heard that you should re-house your Ts as a little as possible, especially when they're in the sling stage.

If anyone could give me some advice or constructive criticisms about how I can possibly improve the enclosure and get my tarantula to stop trying to climb out, I'd really appreciate it :)

I uploaded some images of my enclosure from different angles.

Attachments

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
First of all, stop with the misting.

Second, it can take a while for a spider to settle in. It's active and crawling around, just exploring. The set up looks good. Spider looks fine.

Search the forums here, lots of good info.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
First of all, stop with the misting.

Second, it can take a while for a spider to settle in. It's active and crawling around, just exploring. The set up looks good. Spider looks fine.

Search the forums here, lots of good info.
Agreed! You'll also need more ventilation. There's not a lot of ventilation holes in what you have there, at least to my eyes

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I placed my sling in it and for the first few days it seems alright, it accepted meals and I misted the enclosure as necessary. For the past few days I've seen the sling spend most if not all of it's time climbing to the top of the enclosure. I did some research and I thing the T might not like the set up of the enclosure, but I've also heard that you should re-house your Ts as a little as possible, especially when they're in the sling stage.
Substrate looks wet. T on the wall is usually a sign that the substrate is too wet as well.

Given the T colour and size, as compared to the bottle cap, that probably is more a juvie than a sling.
That means you shouldn't need to mist the enclosure at all. The water dish is sufficient.

And as the others have said, you need to drill more ventilation holes.
If you are not keen on rehoming the T, you can just take the enclosure cover off and just drill holes on the cover.
(obviously put something on top of the enclosure while waiting to prevent escape, a light paperback will do).

Once there's more ventilation, the substrate will dry out eventually and the T should get back to ground level.

Magicis3

Arachnosquire
It's just getting familiar with its surrounding in a few days it should be back on the ground and comfortable 😃😃

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi,

I have since yesterday my first T.

A bbg sling. it is very small now.
I also noticed that it is crawling al over it's enclosure and was wondering the same thing.
I have also rahter moister substrate in it (petstore seller told me that it should be like this) and he also told me that he had feeded it the day i bought it. i did not see any feeder remains in it's original enclosure and there was it's first mold in it also.
My question is now. what should i feed my new T for this first time and how long should i wait to feed it.

thanks for any response.

Greetings

Steve.

ps my spelling may be bad. because my natie language is not english. but i try my best.
Hi Steve,

Despite what the pet store told you, this species needs quite dry substrate. Can you post pictures of the enclosure?

Degreef Steve

Arachnopeon
it is still sitting in here for now.
and most of the time it is crawling over the lid of the little box.
i want to make shure i have the right substrates for when i want to give it a proper enclosure

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
A bbg sling. it is very small now.
I also noticed that it is crawling al over it's enclosure and was wondering the same thing.
I have also rahter moister substrate in it
If my bbg you mean GBB (C. cyaneoubuesencs) you do not want moist substrate. This is an arid species, meaning the substrate should be bone dry. The fact that mold is forming indicates that there is way too much moisture for this species. I raised mine from sling to now subadult on bone dry substrate with a water dish. Some may argue that a small quantity of moisture in part of the substrate when they are still very small could be beneficial. Mine is fairly active, even was as a sling. Rarely in the same spot between times I check on it.

Edit: the pictures went up as I was writing this. At that stage, definitely bone dry substrate with water dish.

To the OP. You have already received good advice. Dont mist, some extra ventilation should help the substrate dry out. I would not have the substrate fully damp. While slings need more moisture than adults, this is not a moisture loving species.

Last edited:

Degreef Steve

Arachnopeon
it wanders around alot. it is not sitting still it is like it is on reconaisance all the time

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I misted the enclosure as necessary
This is not necessary. Your T needs to settle in. ALL PRISONERS CHECK OUT THE JAIL CELL THEY LIVE IN :rofl:

It's good you have been reading, continue to do so, your Ts life depends on YOUR level of interest.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Way to hijack a thread Steve. I have a hard enough time keeping straight who is the OP around here...

Anyway, that sub looks way too fluffy. Can't tell by the crappy pics though. Did you tamp it down well when you set the enclosure up? If a T feels unsteady on the substrate or is too fluffy or has too much crap in it they may act like that.

Degreef Steve

Arachnopeon
i'm sorry i didn't want to high jack this tread. that was not my purpose. so again sorry. To answer your question. yes i pushed it in with a good amount off presure. then on top i sprinkeled a bit of supstrate and some dryed leaf chips. the onley thing that is in there besides that is a little drink dish that's all there is.

Again sorry to pose my question here i could off started my own topic. i will keep this in mind next time i have a quesion. i didnt want to offense anyone by asking my question in here.

have a nice day sir.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
It may be the sprinkles you added. It will probably just web over it all anyway. It most likely will calm down. Although, it does look a bit small maybe? I also don't see any anchor points.

Go ahead and start a new thread with some clear focused photos of the entire enclosure. No need for close up shots. A few feet away is great (we can zoom in if need be).