My scorpion pictures

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's been a while since I posted a picture thread. Here goes.

I'll start with Centruroides

1. C gracilis

2. C vittatus

3. C. sculpturatus

4. C. sculpturatus

Attachments

Last edited:

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess I am biased towards the c. sculpts since that is what I find at my house, but I do like their size and coloring the best. :) Nice photos! I like the scorpion kissing the cricket. LOL.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I am biased towards the c. sculpts since that is what I find at my house, but I do like their size and coloring the best. :) Nice photos! I like the scorpion kissing the cricket. LOL.

Hi Kathy
As much as I love the Arizona natives my favorite Centruroides is gracilis. The stripped sculpts are very cool as well. They might take the place of gracilis as my favorite. I can't find gracilis in my back yard, there is somthing about collecting your own that makes them seem nicer.

John

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Fascinating. How big are the Tityus silvestris? Are they common in the hobby? (I'm a newbie so please excuse my ignorance)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fascinating. How big are the Tityus silvestris? Are they common in the hobby? (I'm a newbie so please excuse my ignorance)
They are small. They are also fairly new to the hobby.

John

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are those C. gracilis the other color form? by other i mean different from the ones you sent me.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi John,

I liked that C.sculpturatus "gertschi morph", those where "my first Buthids" :) And of course the Tityus, but I am biased. Those T.bastosi are incredibly fast growers. The latter of what was born on june 10, is now instar 4. T.silvestris is a bit slower, although on the same feeding regimen in my care. Nice to some new shots from you.

Cheers, Michiel

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi John,

I liked that C.sculpturatus "gertschi morph", those where "my first Buthids" :) And of course the Tityus, but I am biased. Those T.bastosi are incredibly fast growers. The latter of what was born on june 10, is now instar 4. T.silvestris is a bit slower, although on the same feeding regimen in my care. Nice to some new shots from you.

Cheers, Michiel
Hi Michiel,
Thanks for the information, it will help me a lot. The newer Tityus species are very nice. I had a brood from each species while I was on vacation. Close to when your's were born. Bad timing, when I got home each mother had a single baby. I imagine the rest were picked of the back by the tank mates. I then removed the mothers to a seperate enclosure. They then threw the babies of within a day. I think I provided way to much stress. All of which could have been prevented had I been home. I know they came in gravid. I do have a few that were bred the day I got them, they got started the moment they were introduced. That was on May 18, so after 4 months, I'm checking daily. They are getting big. I've got my fingers crossed.

John

PS, the gertschi morphs are one of my favorites as well. These babies are the resuts of a "gertschi" and a normal female. I had one WC male and a bunch of females that I collected for the purpose of breeding to the male. All the babies had the gertschi morph traits. Seems like it's the dominent trait even though it's much rarer in the wild. I've only seem the one gertschi morph in all my collecting trips.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Michiel,
Thanks for the information, it will help me a lot. The newer Tityus species are very nice. I had a brood from each species while I was on vacation. Close to when your's were born. Bad timing, when I got home each mother had a single baby. I imagine the rest were picked of the back by the tank mates. I then removed the mothers to a seperate enclosure. They then threw the babies of within a day. I think I provided way to much stress. All of which could have been prevented had I been home. I know they came in gravid. I do have a few that were bred the day I got them, they got started the moment they were introduced. That was on May 18, so after 4 months, I'm checking daily. They are getting big. I've got my fingers crossed.

John

PS, the gertschi morphs are one of my favorites as well. These babies are the resuts of a "gertschi" and a normal female. I had one WC male and a bunch of females that I collected for the purpose of breeding to the male. All the babies had the gertschi morph traits. Seems like it's the dominent trait even though it's much rarer in the wild. I've only seem the one gertschi morph in all my collecting trips.
That happened to me last weekend. I opened the box of T.ecuadorensis and I saw one female walking around with one young in her mouth and one in each claw. What a b*tch....LOL, and wasn't on holiday.
I separated the female carrying young in time.
Good luck with your breeding projects.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aaah.....glad to see some real O.dentatus for a change :D A lot of B.jacksoni's are sold under this name.
Those princeps look like instar 4-5 specimens, good work John! You have a great collection for an American (no pun intended)

You see people, he seems to know where to get them. Do the math! (For all you "I am looking for P.imperator for 10 years, but I can seem to find them anywhere" out there {D)......LOL

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Michiel, I know exactly what you mean about US collections. It might be good in some ways. If I lived in Europe I might need to get a bigger house. I'm already thinking about adding a room as it is.

John

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great photos and what an amazing collection! I am looking to get back into scorpions. Do you know how to get in touch with BrianS? I tried reactivating my Venom List account but to no avail. If you eve get in a place where you are looking to sell some of your surplus please PM me. And please more pics!

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great photos and what an amazing collection! I am looking to get back into scorpions. Do you know how to get in touch with BrianS? I tried reactivating my Venom List account but to no avail. If you eve get in a place where you are looking to sell some of your surplus please PM me. And please more pics!
I don't think Brian is around much any more :/ There are very very few scorpion breeders in the US right now.