my scorpion burrows and doesn't ever come out

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
welcome to the wonderful life of keeping pet holes. if i recall you had an asian forrest scorpion or something similar. most scorpions stay in there burrows untill night, and even then may just sit at the opening waiting for prey to walk past. it is perfectly normal. and if you do not see your scorpion for awhile it is possible it could be gettkng ready for a molt and should not be disturbed.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
This is very normal behavior. I have been keeping scorpions for only a year and have found they are most happy when they are hidden, one hid for a month and molted after. Most scorpions like to be hidden, but there are more active species like the Hadrurus Arizonensis. I see mine roaming around its cage in the middle of the day occasionally :happy:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Genus Heterometrus especially... those are pet hole basically :-s

I love that we don't even know which kind of Scorpiones we are talking about, here :angelic:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is normal behavior and a good indicator you're providing adequate care from a shelter perspective.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This is very normal behavior. I have been keeping scorpions for only a year and have found they are most happy when they are hidden, one hid for a month and molted after. Most scorpions like to be hidden, but there are more active species like the Hadrurus Arizonensis. I see mine roaming around its cage in the middle of the day occasionally :happy:
Question for you, did you notice your H. arizonensis go into diapause this winter ?

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Question for you, did you notice your H. arizonensis go into diapause this winter ?
Not completely. I even turned off its heat lamp and he was still mostly active. There were a few times where he would block off his burrow, but that never lasted longer than a week or two at a time. Just recently actually he blocked off his burrow again after being active for a month and a half and I haven't seen him for 3 days.

Last edited:

do0gles

Arachnopeon
my scorpion seems to burrow is this normal?
What species? Most Scorpuons will burrow during the day. If you have a burrowing species, it's very common for them to burrow and not come until later at night. I currently have three burrowing species and they've all built. What I call ant farm tunnels in their tanks.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Hadrurus actually dont require heating at all. For their dormant period they need temps under 50 degrees for long periods