My Scolopendra morsitans just being adorable

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
After sharing that horrific video yesterday, I feel obliged to post something a lot nicer to compensate. Here's some pics and a vid of my S.morsitans being his adorable self.

First are a few images of him sleeping in his water bowl (he does this all the time). Note that the woodchips are only present around the bowl and are not the main substrate - it's simply because of my pede's habit of dragging substrate into the bowl, and woodchips are easier to remove. Each of these images were taken on seperate occasions.
IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0804.JPG
And here he is sleeping in my hand. He nearly always chooses to rest in my palm of all places.
IMG_0887.JPG
Finally here is a video of him playing hermit crab. Hope you enjoy these, and hope they make up for the horror I shared yesterday.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Holy cow, I'm sitting here thinking pedes are biting hellspawn (I say that in the most loving way possible) and here's your little dude being as sweet as a doll. Definitely put a smile on my face :)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Holy cow, I'm sitting here thinking pedes are biting hellspawn (I say that in the most loving way possible) and here's your little dude being as sweet as a doll. Definitely put a smile on my face :)
He certainly wasn't like that at first, but it took only six days of interactions to get him to calm down.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thanks! Unfortunately, he's getting old. Winter is coming here in Australia...I hope he makes it through.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks! Unfortunately, he's getting old. Winter is coming here in Australia...I hope he makes it through.
How old do they get? And maybe a dumb question since I don't know anything about pedes, but why is it bad that winter is coming? If it is the cold, couldn't you just use a space heater or heatcable?
These animals give me a knee-jerk reaction, but yours looks relaxed and nice :)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How old do they get? And maybe a dumb question since I don't know anything about pedes, but why is it bad that winter is coming? If it is the cold, couldn't you just use a space heater or heatcable?
These animals give me a knee-jerk reaction, but yours looks relaxed and nice :)
Well, I lost one of my old T's to a heat mat. As for worrying about winter, I'm not completely sure, but he always slows down every winter. I will say that, after I posted my last comment, I handled him again, and once the sun came up, he started to speed up. I imagine the colder temps just slow him down a little. Regarding lifespan, most sources suggest a lifespan of 7-10 years, however, I recently heard a wildlife photographer from here in Australia say that they may live to 30 years. Normally, I'd dismiss such a claim, but for the fact that it was coming from a guy who clearly knew what he was talking about, and who had kept hundreds of pedes in his lifetime. I might shoot him a message.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'll also add that I would estimate my pede at around 10 years old, as I've had him for nearly six years, and he was practically adult when I bought him. In addition, he is a confirmed male, so I imagine females would live even longer.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How old is he? Why are you worried for him if they get that old? I think i'm missing something essential in your posts, but I don't understand your worry if they live that long. Is it temps dropping only?
Heatmats meant for reptiles are not suited for inverts, especially not when used the same as for reptiles. I use a cable to keep the temps above 20°C. I place it five cm away from the glass/plastic, and always on the sides or top of the enclosure. How cold does it get there in winter? You could just run the central heating as well..