My rose hair tarantula that I got yesterday just sits and the top of a corner and moves sometimes

Dylan rose hair

Arachnopeon
She's no very large so I think she's young. I don't know if she's about to molt but I just want to make sure I'm caring for her the correct way. I have her in a tank 4 times her body, shallow water dish, and heat pad on the side. Am I doing this right

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no, get rid of the heat pad, they burn and kill tarantulas. use a space heater for any heating. if temps are higher than 70 youre fine. tarantulas commonly explore and wander when introduced to a new cage, dont worry about that.
post a pic of the spider and cage, please.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas in general dont move a lot. Yours might just be exploring as this is a new environment for her. She needs to get accustomed to it. Another reason for her climbing might also be the heat pad which is not necessary as was previously mentioned. The heat from the. bottom might be bothering it so this is why it is climbing. Also excessive heat might cause evaporation which raises the general humidity above this species' liking.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Definitely post a pic of your setup. When you say "top of a corner" do you mean it climbed up to a corner or is it down on the substrate? They will climb, but G. rosea is an arid species so make sure your substrate isn't wet.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas in general dont move a lot. Yours might just be exploring as this is a new environment for her. She needs to get accustomed to it. Another reason for her climbing might also be the heat pad which is not necessary as was previously mentioned. The heat from the. bottom might be bothering it so this is why it is climbing. Also excessive heat might cause evaporation which raises the general humidity above this species' liking.
Heat pad is on the side. ;)
Is she sitting in the corner where the heatpad is?
I don't think additional heating is needed for where you live, and G.rosea can handle a lot in terms of temperature. Room temp should be fine.
Damp substrate is not what they like, she could be climbing to avoid it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
My Rosie lived theough 11 Scottish winters at room temps of 17C just fine :)

Dylan rose hair

Arachnopeon
no, get rid of the heat pad, they burn and kill tarantulas. use a space heater for any heating. if temps are higher than 70 youre fine. tarantulas commonly explore and wander when introduced to a new cage, dont worry about that.
post a pic of the spider and cage, please.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Which kind of substrate you used, man? Btw I would raise a little bit part of the substrate, just for create and offer to your G.rosea an alternative.

Also I will add a piece of cork bark for hide (Theraphosidae loves those, trust me on this words, man).

Keep the water dish full.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
not as bad as some. :)
i dont know what sub youre using but i highly recommend peat moss or eco earth. raise the sub level another couple inches, add a water dish and keep it full, remove heat pad, switch out that hide for something else more solid. also, if you have a screen lid on there, you might want to look into switching it out for acrylic.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
not as bad as some. :)
i dont know what sub youre using but i highly recommend peat moss or eco earth. raise the sub level another couple inches, add a water dish and keep it full, remove heat pad, switch out that hide for something else more solid. also, if you have a screen lid on there, you might want to look into switching it out for acrylic.
Agreed . Get rid of that gravel . A big bag of peat moss will only set you back a few bucks .

cold blood

Staff member
A hide should be made from wood, or something that won't break down like PVC. Cardboard has no place as a hide.

That sub is not appropriate, like mentioned, coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix, peat moss or just plain cheap topsoil are all better options.

Just so you are aware, rose hairs can deal with cooler temps than most, even consistent low 60's. If there is a species that has no use for added heat, this is it.