My rescue would eat yours

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of all the crazy, rare, or exotic animals I've kept over the years, one of my favorites will always be any of the humble, common Bufo species. Not many people have even thought of keeping a a toad and I have no idea why. Toads are a lot of fun to have, and they're incredibly hardy and easy.

This one here I found in the parking lot at my work with a piece of steel stabbed completely through it's lower leg. I took it home, removed the steel, and treated it with a weak mix of water and iodine. She healed up beautifully.

Here she is 3 or 4 months later. Also, she is no fatter now than she was when I found her... she was easily the fattest Southern toad I've ever seen. I don't usually name my animals, but Princess Butterchubs seemed like a great name for her.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty eyes! Some things a person just really has to look at to appreciate. I have kept little wildcaught froggies before, but toads are a little harder to find here. I like to be able to watch more closely the types of creatures that are around here, see how they behave and gain a greater appreciation of them.
So, in your opinion, what is it about keeping toads that makes it so fun? Just curious about another's perspective.
Nice pictures, by the way.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty eyes! Some things a person just really has to look at to appreciate. I have kept little wildcaught froggies before, but toads are a little harder to find here. I like to be able to watch more closely the types of creatures that are around here, see how they behave and gain a greater appreciation of them.
So, in your opinion, what is it about keeping toads that makes it so fun? Just curious about another's perspective.
Nice pictures, by the way.
My favorite thing about Bufo is that they have a lot of personality for an amphibian. They're not particularly active animals, but they're a lot of fun to watch gobble down food in the blink of an eye. They also seem to get used to people very quickly. Within a week or so, that particular female was taking dubias enthusiastically right from my fingers.

I also think they have a subtle beauty to them, but then again, I'm an unusual kinda guy. {D

TheDeathStalker

Arachnopeon
Hey there! Nice toad!

I think it's a good thing you rescued her :clap:
When I was a child I also kept toads I caught in the swamp and I can regonize what you are saying about them being cool around people and having personalities!

Best of luck to Princess Butterchubs ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think toads are swell :) I keep figuring I need to get some toads and turtles and do a whole terrarium set up with my gecko and them...

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've kept a few species of toads, but the plain old Southern toad is the best. I've kept American toads, oak toads, and I even had a Bufo marinus, which was pretty cool, but never seemed to get used to people being around it, but was awesome because it could power down small rats.

That fat little toad up there is eyeballing my dog. It's used to my dog now and doesn't even try to hide... so cute.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw a regular toad at my apartment about two months ago. I almost caught it to keep as a pet, now I regret not doing it. I miss my leopard geckos, one of them used to give my cat the stink eye.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL I spent a week at Myrtle Beach last summer, and there was a toad on the back porch of the house that came every night to devour insects attracted to the porch light. I had a great time just watching him go after bugs. They are pretty neat.

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I kept toads for several years when I was a teenager and I was completely smitten with them. They really do make brilliant pets and do great in captivity. They are also a bit smarter than your average amphibian, mine came to associate the terrarium lid being opened with food arriving and would come out of their hides and wait for food to start 'falling from the sky' lol.

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didn't really noticed until another toad keeper mentioned it but toads like to wiggle their toes when hunting crickets{D

Here's a picture of my two American toads. Sadly the normal phase one passed away not long ago.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Toads are pretty cool. When I was a kid living in Fl, My dad was mowing the lawn. This toad would hop in front of lawn mower and put it's front feet on it as if it was trying to stop it. My dad would take his foot and scoot it over and the toad would be waiting for him when he came back! It did this over 6 times, lol.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Looks like he's flashing a gang sign, lol.
Da boyz in da hood is always hard. What an awesome shot, Eelnoob! Always wanted a toad, but was afraid it would eat me out of feeders.

In your all's opinion, what is the least skittish/most visible toad...the ideal display toad?

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome toad! I know I enjoy my bufo murinus toads.. although they're still young. we used to have a toad who lived on our front porch, and every night all summer long it'd be right at the doorstep greeting me while i was on my way to work. Eventually they were going to spray, so i moved the toad to the woods in the backyard, since i figured it'd have a better chance that way

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I was visiting Maryland,I found a toad in my step dad's running shoe.It cracked me up.I went to move the shoe,and picked it up.I noticed the left shoe felt heavy in the toe.I gently shook it out and a pretty toad of decent size plopped out.I busted out laughing because I could totally see my step dad in a hurry putting his foot into the shoe and flipping out and screaming(he's a marine,so it's pretty rare to find him freaking out.I usually only see it when I bring him creature:evil:{D{D)Anyways,I would love to find a So Cal toad and keep it if it got used to humans.I used to catch them at my Grandma's in Montana during the summer.I spent hours of my childhood playing with them in the kitty pool.Anyways,awesome toad!