my reptiles

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1 Male Acanthosaura capra
1 Female Chamaeleo calyptratus

My female Chamaeleo calyptratus is very gravid, and is now digging in her substrate in the bottom of her cage, she has 6 inches deep of substrate.

Attachments

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Your Acanthosaura capra doesn't look like most capra I have seen. It also doesn't seem to have a very appropriate enclosure for an arboreal lizard. Those crystals may be pretty but they aren't the best thing for your lizard.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That would be my husbands idea, i keep telling him he needs plants, and propper stuff to climb on, not "pretty" things.

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought chams needed 12"+ of sub to lay their eggs in?

Cass

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont know, the books i was reading and the cham owner i was talking to told me 6 inches in captivity, in the wild thay dig 12-16 inches deep. And i will have to throw all the eggs away after she lays them, there is absolutly no male around her at all so thay are not fertalized at all, up untill yesterday i did not know thay would produce eggs without a male.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems like you don't do a lot of research on your critters and keep blaming your husband for things. Well, man your the wife and should have some say.. Why not just go out and remodel the aquarium? it's best the reptile, and would look more pleasent in a natural inviroment as well.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems like you don't do a lot of research on your critters and keep blaming your husband for things. Well, man your the wife and should have some say.. Why not just go out and remodel the aquarium? it's best for the reptile, and would look more pleasant in a natural enviroment as well.
Seems to be a popular opinion

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really don't understand this gang-up that's going on. Why pick on this nice woman? You're acting like a bunch of bullies. She says she's read books and it's not uncommon that all the material getting passed around is correct, so it's wiser to educate than to continue with the put downs. Plus, she seems eager and willing to do any necessary changes and learn. I'm not going to even talk about her getting involved with her husband's pets because I don't know the situation.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really don't understand this gang-up that's going on. Why pick on this nice woman? You're acting like a bunch of bullies. She says she's read books and it's not uncommon that all the material getting passed around is correct, so it's wiser to educate than to continue with the put downs. Plus, she seems eager and willing to do any necessary changes and learn. I'm not going to even talk about her getting involved with her husband's pets because I don't know the situation.
Look, if this was about a poor new keeper having their cornsnake escape, no one would say a thing. All new keepers have at least one escape... but by the time you're experienced enough to even think about keeping a retic, you should be way beyond that. If you have a retic escape (with the exception of say, an earthquake knocking a wall over the cage), YOU ARE AN IRRESPONSIBLE KEEPER. Period.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps you are right and those last comments were a bit harsh and unnecessary and we should be more constructive in our criticism.

To Earthwormsoul, its like Meatloaf said, 2 outta 3 aint bad!

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So as pertaining to this thread here goes some constructive criticism!
1) First thing is you need a full or atleast 2 sides of mesh screen cage for that Veiled for ventilation not 2 glass aquariums stacked on top of eachother for cross ventilation.

2) Glass cages will stress the Cham out when seeing its reflection to the point of death.

3) Cage look a little dry and should be misted 2x a day

4) Your horned dragon will definately need atleast a 3ft tall X 2ft wide and about 18" deep cage for proper establishment of territory.

5) As stated above your cage is bare and needs to be pretty heavily vegetated, by either false plants or live for the animal to feel safe and disappear to when it needs.

6) Also as stated above you sincerely need to put some strong branches and vertical climbing spaces immediately. These Horned Dragons that you see on the ground in their cages are usually in very poor health and more than likely anout to die. Noit saying thats the case but you will not be able to guage if you do not give them the proper climbing areas.

7) These guys (if it is A capra)are from Cambodia, Laos and Vietnamese penninsula and dwell in primary rainforest habitat, and as with your Veiled due to the lack of water droplets it seems that you need more humidity. These guys need atleast 75-80%.

8) they will also require a large drinking dish in which they can drink and swim. Also they are not as likely to drink from standing water as they will generally not notice it if it is not moving. So buy a little whisper pump to move the water.

9) The Horned Dragon will also need 6-8in of substrate to make nests if it is a female and gravid. They can produce 4 clutches a year form a single mating and since most in the pet trade are WC there is a good chance it may be.

10) MHD's have developed "humps" when kept in glass aquariums.

11) Most importantly and I cannot stress this enough, take them for atleast 2 check ups and get a fecal smear done at a reputable herp vet. Most people think this is unnecessary but as anyone whos been in the hobby long enough knows NEVER take anyones word for animals being free from parasites. And due to the fact that most reptiles will hide their illnesses until it is too far long in its advanced stages to matter.

12) UVB bulbs for both animals to synthesize vitamin D3. And the proper supplements.

If you find that you cannot provide the big 3, proper husbandry(all aspects included proper size cages, vet check-up etc, etc.) finances and space available then give them to someone who will. Alot of these animals that you see often as inexpensive and interesting animals are actually rather difficult to care for properly. Especially with lizards and like species.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The deal with my husband is hes the "Im the man what i say goes so shut up or ill scream at your for 3 hours over the subject" type, BUT i did get him to remove the rocks and put in fake plants for now till i get a few plants, i mist both the lizards twice a day, there humidity gage is reading at 90% there temps are at 85 the cages are still in the construction stage, both of them are getting another tank added on top, more plants, and the side pannels on ALL the tanks removed and replaced with wire mesh screen. once thats finish i WILL post the pics of the finished cages. and my Capra is male. i had the petco vet look the capra over and take a fecal smear before i bought him. He is deffinate male, and healthy, no parasites got the phone call conferming that yesterday, just alil shed stuck in a few places, but im keeping him misted to help remove the last of his shed.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The above is exactly what I'm talking about. Anyways, playing the blame game and pointless jabbing does nothing for this woman or the well-being of her pets. Sorry, but you can't expect everyone to be up to date and I would think members of this community would want to share their knowledge. Thanks for taking the constructive criticism and making the necessary changes, Ookamii. Good stuff there, Toe Cutter :clap:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
All members can rest easy now, OK? Ookamii has left the 'Boards because of all the negative feedback.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't trying to be 'mean' but pointing out a fact based on her other posts. However, she can take it as she likes.

It's good to see her do the adjustments toecutter mentioned. I would have liked to see the finished product..

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, unfortunately she left. That's what I'm saying, why point out a fact that several others already mentioned in another post? The result of all that bashing is her leaving and not being able to get any more good advice which means her animals continue to suffer. What a shame.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, unfortunately she left. That's what I'm saying, why point out a fact that several others already mentioned in another post? The result of all that bashing is her leaving and not being able to get any more good advice which means her animals continue to suffer. What a shame.
I am still getting good advice, i joined another site, my cham cage is alot better, still glass, but i dont have much money and am still working on it, but the 2 reptiles and my 2 T's cages are the best i can do ATM. and according to what the people on the other forum say, its VERY good for my lack of funds. starting next payday i am working to make the entire cham cage mesh. one peice at a time