My Red Rump sling died out of nowhere, I think? plz help

HeavyMetalTarantula

Arachnopeon
So my Red Rump has been in pre-molt for a little bit now, along with a few of my other slings. I haven't checked on him in a few days maybe 2 or 3 at most, wanting to leave him be not add any extra stress. I got home from work and checked on him tonight by lifting up the deli cup to see him through the tunnels hes dug for himself. He's been in those tunnels almost the whole time I've had him. I lift it up expecting to see him crawling around like usual, only to see his body next to a molt. I cant 100% tell if hes just still on his back and is freshly molted? Or if hes actually dead. It looks like he might be upside down still but i cant tell without digging him up. So I'm going to give it some time in case he is still alive and just hasn't flipped over yet after his molt. But then again could he be in a death curl? But I'm not seeing the legs when I look at him. So He may be on his back still. Idk Maybe he molted right before I got home from work and just hasn't finished yet....Any Thoughts on this/Or advice? I'm riddled with anxiety about this....FRICK lol

Dman

Arachnosquire
Leave it alone. It may have just molted and may take sometime to right itself. Give it up to 48 hours and if no change then you can try to expose it and check if it is alive.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
He’s probably fine. If it stays in that position for more than a day, then maybe start being concerned.

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
I am no expert but he sounds fine, give him until tomorrow and check on him then. If you can provide pictures then it would help of course.

HeavyMetalTarantula

Arachnopeon
So its a good possibility he was just still on his back from molting? I guess I just assumed he was like this for a day or 2 already but maybe he just molted shortly before I got home from work tonight? Idk why I'm freaking out, I've been through enough molts and this one just feels weird haha.I'm going to give it a couple hours and check again and update you guys and If if can get pictures without disturbing him I will do my best! Thanks guys

Dman

Arachnosquire
So its a good possibility he was just still on his back from molting? I guess I just assumed he was like this for a day or 2 already but maybe he just molted shortly before I got home from work tonight? Idk why I'm freaking out, I've been through enough molts and this one just feels weird haha.I'm going to give it a couple hours and check again and update you guys and If if can get pictures without disturbing him I will do my best! Thanks guys
Wait till you get a T that disappears for months at a time. I have had this happen and everytime I dig them out they are always alive and good. Currently I have not seen my C. elegans for three months.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
So my Red Rump has been in pre-molt for a little bit now, along with a few of my other slings. I haven't checked on him in a few days maybe 2 or 3 at most, wanting to leave him be not add any extra stress. I got home from work and checked on him tonight by lifting up the deli cup to see him through the tunnels hes dug for himself. He's been in those tunnels almost the whole time I've had him. I lift it up expecting to see him crawling around like usual, only to see his body next to a molt. I cant 100% tell if hes just still on his back and is freshly molted? Or if hes actually dead. It looks like he might be upside down still but i cant tell without digging him up. So I'm going to give it some time in case he is still alive and just hasn't flipped over yet after his molt. But then again could he be in a death curl? But I'm not seeing the legs when I look at him. So He may be on his back still. Idk Maybe he molted right before I got home from work and just hasn't finished yet....Any Thoughts on this/Or advice? I'm riddled with anxiety about this....FRICK lol
what kind of tarantula do you have? Is it a brachypelma vagans? sorry I just want to know

cold blood

Staff member
house it in a condiment cup instead. In a small cup it will adopt the whole cup as a burrow, so it will sit in the open...this means you can monitor it easily at any time, and more importantly, it will eat more readily and as a direct result, grow much faster.

HeavyMetalTarantula

Arachnopeon
what kind of tarantula do you have? Is it a brachypelma vagans? sorry I just want to know
Yes it is

house it in a condiment cup instead. In a small cup it will adopt the whole cup as a burrow, so it will sit in the open...this means you can monitor it easily at any time, and more importantly, it will eat more readily and as a direct result, grow much faster.
He's got a whole intricate tunnel system in this one and I can always see him through the bottom and sides and he still eats when the crickets make their way down there. (besides in pre molt obvi lol) I'll post a pic of the enclosure in a little bit. I'm just giving him a little more time

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I agree with the others... your sling is most probably fine and just resting. :) And by the way, it's Tliltocatl vagans now. ;)

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Yes it is

He's got a whole intricate tunnel system in this one and I can always see him through the bottom and sides and he still eats when the crickets make their way down there. (besides in pre molt obvi lol) I'll post a pic of the enclosure in a little bit. I'm just giving him a little more time
Like everyone else said, your tarantula is ok. Tarantulas from the genera brachypelma, aphonopelma, grammostola, and Tliltocatl all burrow. Even tarantulas that don’t burrow as adults will burrow as slings. I have a dolichothele diamantinensis sling that made a little burrow, but a lot of dolichothele diamantinensis owners say theirs dont burrow as adults.

HeavyMetalTarantula

Arachnopeon
Hey sorry on the late reply guys I've been pretty busy with work! Luckily my Vagans turned out fine but it took it a while to flip over and go back to normal. Longer than all the other T's I have that have recently molted. As of right now its all back to normal *knock on wood* lol Thank you so much for the concern and advice from you guys. It really means a lot and its great to have a knowledgeable community to turn to when in need!