My red knee can't climb anymore and is gettin pi**ed

bigjim76

Arachnopeon
Hey ppl

My red knee used to love climbing all over the tank,roof walls you name it it climbed but now when it tries to climb it just can't get anywhere.I can hear like a scratching on the glass and there's mad foot movement but no climbing.This is gonna sound really un-educated but have they got like suckers on there feet that enable them to climb and if so can these stop working properly?.
Thanks to the guys that replied to my last little query too it was most appreciated.

jim

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey ppl

My red knee used to love climbing all over the tank,roof walls you name it it climbed but now when it tries to climb it just can't get anywhere.I can hear like a scratching on the glass and there's mad foot movement but no climbing.This is gonna sound really un-educated but have they got like suckers on there feet that enable them to climb and if so can these stop working properly?.
Thanks to the guys that replied to my last little query too it was most appreciated.

jim
Well I can assure you that your T is not getting "angry" the quicker scratching is just it coninuously trying something it has always done. They dont have suckers but they have two small hook like barbs that grab onto imperfections on the glass. The reason it once climbed the glass but no longer can could be from substrate dust filling the imperfections and or water stains from misting with tap or bottled water. Don't worry about your T it will be fine! It will stop attempting to climbing in due time, and honestly its better than your Smithi can't climb anways as it can get hurt doing so.

Good luck.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the fine barbs on the ends of the feet (i think) are called scopi. they get worn off like all the hair that its kicked and will be fresh again with its next molt.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey ppl

jim
They tend to loose the adhesion qualities of the "foot pads" as they approach a molt. I think that capiliary action (as opposed to use of claws) is how they climb verticle smooth surfaces. In effect, they have many thousands of "suckers" which make up the "pad". Correct me if I'm wrong.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, most likely those adhesive foot pad barbs are worn down a bit. they will regenerate by next molt.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say also, HUH? How is 'probably broken beer bottles and nails' very helpful?
To the poster, probly as stated the sides of the enclosure have lost the adhesion the T was using to allow the climbing. The scopula pads do act as suction cups, and misting the sides of the enclosure actually helps adhesion.
After a mist, my arboreals can climb right up. Preferable for the terrestrials to stay near the substrate tho.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
probably thumb tacks and roofing nails.

or shards of broken beer bottles.
I asked that question because my sister kept a G. rosea on crushed walnut and it destroyed her feet. Anyway that T should not be trying to climb glass unless there is something bothering him or he’s a mature male.

I say also, HUH? How is 'probably broken beer bottles and nails' very helpful?
To the poster, probly as stated the sides of the enclosure have lost the adhesion the T was using to allow the climbing. The scopula pads do act as suction cups, and misting the sides of the enclosure actually helps adhesion.
After a mist, my arboreals can climb right up. Preferable for the terrestrials to stay near the substrate tho.
Exactly…thanx spid142

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As was stated, moisture (miniscule amounts) is required for the smooth surface climbing abilities of tarantulas. very tiny hairs that form pads are also required to hold the moisture (via capillary action). Surface tension makes the pads "stick" to the glass. This thread has hit on 2 possible causes: A) the hairs are damaged and don't form a flat pad or can not hold moisture properly. This could be from rough bedding, an accident, or it's been a long time since the last molt. B) The spider or environment is too dry. The B. smithi is not a wet environs spider, but it isn't a desert spider either. In the summer the air conditioning can severely dry out the air and your Tarantula. The smithi likes about 65% humidity and house humidity can easily be 40% or lower. Make sure there is enough water in the dish. I will sometimes mist half of the smithi cage during a dry week so he can hang out in the moist half if he is feeling dry.

Last edited:

bigjim76

Arachnopeon
Thank you all

Cheers guys,could possibly be due a moult as it was around october for the last one.I hate to refer to my t as an it but i am not sure whether it is a he or a she,the shop i bought it from was rancid and has recently been closed down which is a good thing as most of the reptiles t's and scorpions looked like they had been mistreated or under nourished.I am using a vermiculite mix with a little bit of small bark scattered,i'm not sure about the bark though?.Also i have read a few threads on here about tank size and i am slightly worried that the one i have is way too big,my t loves it cause it is big and its got plenty of room but it is tall.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cheers guys,could possibly be due a moult as it was around october for the last one.I hate to refer to my t as an it but i am not sure whether it is a he or a she,the shop i bought it from was rancid and has recently been closed down which is a good thing as most of the reptiles t's and scorpions looked like they had been mistreated or under nourished.I am using a vermiculite mix with a little bit of small bark scattered,i'm not sure about the bark though?.Also i have read a few threads on here about tank size and i am slightly worried that the one i have is way too big,my t loves it cause it is big and its got plenty of room but it is tall.
Lol, you just described how I came across rose hairs number two and three.
I would change the substrate to potting soil and/or peat moss and/or cocoa peat. Fill the tank high enough so your T can reach up to the ceiling and stretch it's legs.

bigjim76

Arachnopeon
Gutted my Red knee has died

My red knee had been very up and down for a good few months,used to climb all over the place and be pretty active but since around july and due to the fact it couldn't climb very well anymore became very subdued and didn't do a lot.For the last few weeks it got slower and slower and everything looked to be a struggle.Two days ago it crawled up near its log and just sat there,i didn't think anything of it until i went to freshen up its water bowl and realised there was no movement whatsoever.On closer inspection it was totally limp and legs were buckled underneath.I've owned three t's now and this is the first that has died on me.

A very sad day.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am so sorry bigjim, the first T I lost was a smithi also. Many condolences being thought your way. ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have this funny feeling you had a mature male. You talk about it "Liking" to climb all over the place and was very active. That is only something that a mature male would do females don't climb all over anything, once they are settled into a tank my females rarely climb anything. And even your description of how he ended up dying sounds like a mature male.

Losses are tough. Sorry he passed. :8o

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry you guy died:(
I'd guess you had a mature male, they will wander around like yours was, unfortunately their life span isn't very long.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have this funny feeling you had a mature male. You talk about it "Liking" to climb all over the place and was very active. That is only something that a mature male would do. And even your description of how he ended up dying sounds like a mature male.
I have to agree, recently witnessed a MM rosea acting this way in a pet store. I saw hooks, so I am 100% on my gender determination.

AaronT

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss bigjim76, Like stated before it could have been a MM looking for a mate. That might explain the behavior.