My recent excursion - pics

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are some pics of the local wildlife I found around New Braunfels, Texas, along the Guadalupe river:
Puss moth caterpillar: these were all over the place.
DSCN07507.JPG
pale-bordered cockroach: caught 3 females, one has an egg sac!!!
DSCN08467.JPG
eyed click beetle:
DSCN08447.JPG
unknown spp caterpillar: I'm going to make another thread just for these; I found two on the same tree.
DSCN07527.JPG
unknown spp house centipede: caught 5 of these, but the wind blew over the cup they were in and all but one escaped. I let the last one go.:mad:
DSCN08267.JPG

Last edited:

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is some... thing undergoing a metamorphosis under a rock. I'm going to start a thread for this one, too, as I took it home with me to see what it turns out to be.
[edit]Dobsonfly larvae in burrow
DSCN08357.JPG
and the other wildlife, not-so-spineless:
this is not a zoom in!!
DSCN07967.JPG
goats!!!
DSCN08067.JPG
these guys came right into our camp after a large hawk started circling. We made them feel at home
DSCN08117.JPG

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha great pics! Looks like you had fun, wow that Racoon was extremely close.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife took that pic. She could've touched him without reaching. They acted like they couldn't see us. Little bastards ate my grilled corn I was saving for the next day that I had in a box. I ran after the theif, but he made it under the truck so I just gave it to them. I try not to get into arguments with wild raccoons. The good food went in the truck after they took that. There was still leftovers, though.
Man that corn was good... I found it eaten on the other side of the truck in the morning.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should have stowed me in your backpack so I could come with you! ;P

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That larvae is a dobson fly. Cool pics!
Excellent. I thought that's what it might be, just didn't know what they were called. Looks to be a female from the size of the mandibles and antennae. I hope she survives into adulthood, she is that size now.
So these are the helgramites I always see under rocks in the water.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live up in College Station and find those pale bordered field roaches every now and then...usually only one every week or so when I'm out looking...Always wanted to set up a colony! I'll have to check out that way for some!

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey
Very nice pics. I love the Guadalupe River. I always see tons of turtles and water snakes when I go toobing. Thanks for sharing.

Andy

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I'm not sure. I just noticed quite a few of the distint cocoons they make in the area, and the body shape of these guys is fairly distinct as well. I didn't bother to verify, but if you want to it won't hurt my feelings any.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:clap: Holy Smokin' Joe!

You have to love a wandering around to look at local stuff.... North America really has so many cool things when you look for them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a lot of action on your trip. That 4th pic might be of a pillar in the Noctuidae family, of moths.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I once found one of those(dead), it was definetly impresive:)

-Eric

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a lot of action on your trip. That 4th pic might be of a pillar in the Noctuidae family, of moths.
It sure was a feisty one. I have a vid of it lashing back at me when I touched it, throwing spit.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha! I find them on the trees in my yard someties, trying to fake me out on the bark. Was it pink, black, pink, black.... underneath?

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha! I find them on the trees in my yard someties, trying to fake me out on the bark. Was it pink, black, pink, black.... underneath?
I don't think so. I think it was just other shades of grey, with some yellow.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm, well, Google the Ilia Underwing moth caterpillar if you get the time. It's not the same species but I'm leaning towards the same family. That's why I was thinking Noctuidae. I've seen them before but never seriously checked it out.