My project for today

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Getting ready to make a new enclosure for my P. regalis. She's actually fine in the pasta container she's in now as far as her size goes, but I really want something that opens in front instead of having to pull the top off. I feel like it's safer that way. The container she's currently in needs some maintenance (quite a bit actually), but I'm so worried that she'll bolt out the top once I get in there. I think it's easier to keep an eye on where the T is if I can get in from the front instead of the top. Make sense? Or do I sound ridiculous?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree front opening is the way to go my P. metallica bolted on me last night (I have a top opening container.) Was crawling around all my other cages, I didn't want her to get lose but she ran into the catch cup just in time, if she had not have done that I would have had to grab her, regardless the chance of getting bit. So I agree front opening is best.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I agree front opening is the way to go my P. metallica bolted on me last night (I have a top opening container.) Was crawling around all my other cages, I didn't want her to get lose but she ran into the catch cup just in time, if she had not have done that I would have had to grab her, regardless the chance of getting bit. So I agree front opening is best.
Glad she cooperated with the catch cup and is safely back home! Thanks for posting your experience. Now I definitely feel like I'm doing the right thing.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Michigan!

All my poecs are in upright aquariums. I have never had even a close call to one getting loose. They are just prone to running "UP". now, My smaller acrylic cubes... Different story with the opening up top!

My adult poecs hang out in a 5 gal tank and my smaller and juvies hang out in a 2.5 gal.

As long as they don't get freaked out, they always stay put for me.

I can attach pics when I get home. Photobucket is blocked at work. :wall:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Hey Michigan!

All my poecs are in upright aquariums. I have never had even a close call to one getting loose. They are just prone to running "UP". now, My smaller acrylic cubes... Different story with the opening up top!

My adult poecs hang out in a 5 gal tank and my smaller and juvies hang out in a 2.5 gal.

As long as they don't get freaked out, they always stay put for me.

I can attach pics when I get home. Photobucket is blocked at work. :wall:
That's my fear - it running UP and out. I'm putting it in a 2.5 gallon on it's side with a front opening door. Looking forward to the pics.

I hear you.. everything is blocked at work. Luckily I have today off :)

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's my fear - it running UP and out. I'm putting it in a 2.5 gallon on it's side with a front opening door. Looking forward to the pics.

I hear you.. everything is blocked at work. Luckily I have today off :)
Honestly, they are pretty good at wanting to stay in their cage once they get settled in. I find they fight pretty hard to stay where they are if I need to rehome them.

I use plexi on the front a lot like Rob does and I use vents from Midget Louver that I just cut down. I buy them from Linda there for $13 per dozen.

I'll attach some pics tonight for ya! I've got what I do down to a pretty good science.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have found that front/side opening is better but they are still fast enough that if you open it and they spooke they will be out of there before you can even close the door... i.e. this is where teleporting comes from.

I would say of all my poec's my miranda is by far the quickest and tends to jump side to side. My second most difficult to deal with is my Ceratogyrus darlingi... that thing is just ridiculous too.

If you're careful with any enclosure you will be fine.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I have found that front/side opening is better but they are still fast enough that if you open it and they spooke they will be out of there before you can even close the door... i.e. this is where teleporting comes from.

I would say of all my poec's my miranda is by far the quickest and tends to jump side to side. My second most difficult to deal with is my Ceratogyrus darlingi... that thing is just ridiculous too.

If you're careful with any enclosure you will be fine.
True, and I am extremely careful, but I think it's easier to keep an eye on them at all times coming in from the front instead of looking in from the top passed the leaves and such.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Well, it looks as if I'm going to have to wait on this project because I had to order the acrylic hinges and hasp. So I'll do the maintenance on the tank today (fingers crossed that all goes well) and transfer my regalis once I get the tank done - probably next weekend.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I was skeptical at first whether a front opening would be better, but I think it would definitely make it a little easier. I'd like to see pictures of your enclosures when you have time, I'm currently renovating a new home for my 1" Ornata sling, and would like to see some ideas!

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I was skeptical at first whether a front opening would be better, but I think it would definitely make it a little easier. I'd like to see pictures of your enclosures when you have time, I'm currently renovating a new home for my 1" Ornata sling, and would like to see some ideas!
Well, for my slings I use 50 dram vials. And this 2.5 gallon is probably going to be total overkill for my 2" regalis, but I think it will be OK.. and she'll have plenty of room to grow and won't have to re-home her for a while.

I will definitely post pictures when it's completed though. :)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Well, tank maintenance went very well and very quickly. She ran down into her burrow and stayed there. Good girl. {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had this same problem with my P. irminia.. She was 4" in one of them top load enclosures.. I hated it.. Any time I opened the enclosure to water & mist.. She would dart upwards.. So she is not in a 2.5 gallon front load... :rolleyes:

I had my reduncus in a top load noodle holding thingy.. Yeah.. I went to mist her.. Phew.. That booger is FAST! She is now in a front load... {D

The only critters I will put in a top load enclosure are either slings or avics.. :D

Cant wait to see your new enclosure.. :) Best of luck with cleaning today..

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I'm working on everything I can until the hinges and hasp get here. Right now I am attempting to use silicone and substrate for the walls of the tank. I didn't do that with my A. avicularia because it was my very first attempt at making an enclosure. We'll see how it goes. ;)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
The only critters I will put in a top load enclosure are either slings or avics.. :D
You should meet my A. versi then ;) I had to move him to one with the door on the side recently. Every time I opened his lid in the old one, I almost lost him. He is nuts, and it's much easier to do maintanence now.

My A. avic on the other hand, has been in a top opening enclosure as long as I've had her. I can have the lid wide open and she just sits there, while I do whatever it is I need to do.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should meet my A. versi then ;) I had to move him to one with the door on the side recently. Every time I opened his lid in the old one, I almost lost him. He is nuts, and it's much easier to do maintanence now.

My A. avic on the other hand, has been in a top opening enclosure as long as I've had her. I can have the lid wide open and she just sits there, while I do whatever it is I need to do.
My versi is a doll.. Both of them.. In fact.. All of my avics are.. :)
Sadly.. My larger versi is looking male ventrally.. And at 3.5" I am thinking the next molt he will be mature... :( But.. I have not confirmed sex by molt yet.. Either way.. I will have bunches & bunches of versi slings.. :D

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My versi is a doll.. Both of them.. In fact.. All of my avics are.. :)
Sadly.. My larger versi is looking male ventrally.. And at 3.5" I am thinking the next molt he will be mature... :( But.. I have not confirmed sex by molt yet.. Either way.. I will have bunches & bunches of versi slings.. :D
I haven't confirmed my versi via molt yet either, but ventrally it looks very male. That's ok, all of the ones I have confirmed through molts so far (A. avic, B. smithi, G. pulchripes) are female, and my G. rosea looks VERY female ventrally.

I was due for a male I suppose, and it should be easy enough to find him a gf once he matures. The majority of my collection are slings right now, so soon enough I will have a bunch to start sexing. My H. incei is next in line if it ever lets me have a molt (they are lining it's tunnels right now :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't confirmed my versi via molt yet either, but ventrally it looks very male. That's ok, all of the ones I have confirmed through molts so far (A. avic, B. smithi, G. pulchripes) are female, and my G. rosea looks VERY female ventrally.

I was due for a male I suppose, and it should be easy enough to find him a gf once he matures. The majority of my collection is slings right now, so soon enough I will have a bunch to start sexing. My H. incei is next in line if it ever lets me have a molt (they are lining it's tunnels right now :rolleyes:)
My C. huahini has its molt lining its tunnel to.. It has molted twice in its new enclosure.. I peaked in its tunnel.. They are both webbed to the top.. Its neat looking.. :D

I cant wait for my male LP to mature.. I want to breed him with Big Momma.. :D

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Same here. Mine is a sling - about an inch - and ran out about a week ago. I had the hardest time getting it back in that vial! Today I did tank maintenance on that one too because it had a couple food remains in its web. This time it actually went to the bottom and let me do my thing. I was quite impressed. :p

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Ok, this whole silicone/substrate for the backdrop.. a major pain in the behind! I've made more of a mess than anything. I'm running out of patience. :mad: