My Praying mantids

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice, I was considering buying some at the reptile show the other week.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Nice, I was considering buying some at the reptile show the other week.
just be careful buying exotic mantids here in the US, they are in the same category as phasmids.. technically. (that being that whilst they are banned in the US, no one really cares unless you go and tell the government "Hey look what I got" at least from what I've read.)

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Sphodromantis lineola cocoon just hatched today, so many of them :eek::D Separating is really needed :astonished: But how cute

IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Nice, we used to hatch out local mantis in the spring on the farm for fun. We found them in the fall and kept them over the winter. Once they got bigger we turned them loose in the fields we planted. I've really be thinking about getting some since the pet show.
Peter at bugsincyberspace has some T. sinensis ooths, or you could buy some P. paradoxa and breed them (super easy to raise, slightly hard to breed and raise the ooth) If I had the extra cash, I would so pick up some H. coronatus, but my family has the set the rule that mantids are too expensive for how short they live.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Peter at bugsincyberspace has some T. sinensis ooths, or you could buy some P. paradoxa and breed them (super easy to raise, slightly hard to breed and raise the ooth) If I had the extra cash, I would so pick up some H. coronatus, but my family has the set the rule that mantids are too expensive for how short they live.
I have been thinking of heading down to Dad's and see if I can find some wild mantis egg cases. They are usually all around the barns and tree lines in the fall. You just have to keep them cool till spring or plan on caring for a lot of them over the winter.

You could anyways go hunting for some of the wild ones. The same ones we have here are common in GA too if I remember correctly.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I have been thinking of heading down to Dad's and see if I can find some wild mantis egg cases. They are usually all around the barns and tree lines in the fall. You just have to keep them cool till spring or plan on caring for a lot of them over the winter.

You could anyways go hunting for some of the wild ones. The same ones we have here are common in GA too if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I just live in an area where insects are almost nonexistent.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Well, if I find a egg case or two that look viable I'll mail you one. :D
Thanks! I'm at the point here where I get excited to see S. carolina and stuff. in AR, you could find unicorn mantids, tons of color variations of S. carolina and T. sinensis, and loads of stick insects. GA feels like a wasteland compared to that.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
SO very cool! I really want to get a few mantids but they seem to be a rarity with vendors online, plus all the cool species I want can really only be found in European markets.

Beautiful creatures!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
SO very cool! I really want to get a few mantids but they seem to be a rarity with vendors online, plus all the cool species I want can really only be found in European markets.

Beautiful creatures!
Rebecca Salutric from mantidpets has some, but her prices are very high (she has almost every mantis to grace the hobby) and Peter from bugsincyberspace has some good ones.