My power is out and no way to keep the slings warm!

marsdex

Arachnopeon
The power is out in my neighborhood due to some maintenance the electricity company is working on. The outage began at 7 am and they said it will *hopefully* be back on by 10 pm. It's rather inconvenient for me obviously but I'm more worried about my invertebrates! I keep a variety of animals with different temperature requirements but I guess specifically I'm asking about my slings. I have a C. versicolor and a GBB, both at an inch. It's about 57 in the room right now and the low tonight is 39F. I am trying to get creative as to how to warm my room, one idea involved a Sterno stove... 😂 Should I be that worried about one cold night?

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I’d start early in building your nest. Put all the enclosures in said nest, then sit on them until the morning. You’ll also be required to feed them cud.

But in all seriousness, maybe like a battery or gas powered space heater would work. That’s probably what I’d go for first.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
57 is pretty low....most, if not all species should be kept above 68F

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Typically, the temperature inside a room is higher than the outdoor temperature in winter and cooler in summer. Find yourself a decent indoor/ outdoor thermometer to get an accurate temperature of the room before panicking.

Edit: Since the concern is with two spiderlings, the best way I can think of to heat them short term is to put the enclosures in a larger container with a loose fitting lid and put in one, maybe two, of those 24-hour reusable hand warmers. Use at your own risk though. Ideally one would have a temperature gun to make sure the hand warmers don't get too hot.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Always plan ahead.
The power goes out, have alternative heat source.
I keep a kerosene heater. I wouldn't use it next to them but that part of the house is safe.
Forget the pipes. Spiders take priority.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Hot water bottle was my first thought too.
It's relatively cheap, readily available. You may already even have a cooler and it doesn't really have to be a real hot water bottle, a Tupperware container with warm water would suffice.

Lobstersign

Arachnopeon
My power went out early morning a few days ago and wasn't turned back on until 2PM. The temperature was 3C outside. My slings were fine. Just try to avoid going into the tarantula area or room as much as possible to keep the heat from escaping. If you have them in a separate room put a towel under the door to prevent heat from leaving the room. They should be fine it takes a really long time for a heated room to cool down if there is no opening to the outside.

If the room has already started cooling down then put the slings in a styofoam cooler with a heat pack.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
yup. Pack them in coolers with a heat source, even a bottle with warm water will help

they should survive a single eve so don't panic if you can't do anything

marsdex

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up driving out to the Walmart (I live in the country lol) to buy a propane heater and they were sold out of any such products. Probably because it's cold and the power was out for the whole (only) neighborhood 😛 but of course as I was leaving the store I got an alert saying power had been restored. So all my creatures are ok, but I'm still gonna find a heater (or generator, even better!)