My poor Rose Hair!

WiseWarrior

Arachnopeon
My Rose Hair has been very happy for a long time. I've made sure the temperature is right, that he gets food, ect. He has always been healthy, but all of sudden he is really sluggish. I don't know what is happening, I haven't had him long enough to die of old age, and I've cared for him really well, what could be wrong? :confused: :(

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like a molt to me... Leave him be, and maybe within a few weeks you will have a nice new (bigger) T.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Rose Hair has been very happy for a long time. I've made sure the temperature is right, that he gets food, ect. He has always been healthy, but all of sudden he is really sluggish. I don't know what is happening, I haven't had him long enough to die of old age, and I've cared for him really well, what could be wrong? :confused: :(
that sounds normal to me, my rosehair is the same way. as long as you dont see anything on him/her thats unusual, like white stuff around the mouthparts, (i forget what there called) etc, it should be fine. maybe your feeding it too much?
i noticed that mine becomes sluggish after i feed it more then normal.

WiseWarrior

Arachnopeon
Well, a few strange things have happened. A while ago he started to dig a little tunnel under his water dish. I had to put in supports because he dug so mcuh away. I though he(or she) might be having babys, and had dug a hole for them. He seems to like to go in there, no eggsacs or anything, he already has a log, I was kinda confused...He hasn't been eating as much lately, I last fed him around 10 really small crickets. He ate about half, which is about equal to his normal 2 giant ones. The others just hopped around, and every few days he'd eat one, I don't think he was being overfed, so he might be molting. I removed the remaining crickets, so they wouldn't bother him if he did.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, the way you described it, id say it was molting. at first it sounded like it was overfed.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
make sure to take all of those extra crickets out of there if (s)he's going to molt, they will kill a T if they're left in there while it's molting.

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My big female rose hair literally DID NOT move from June when I got her til the beginning of August when she moulted. If i tapped her leg with a paintbrush she would move the leg just enough to stop me from tapping her, that was it.

How long have you had him/how big is he?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of our female rosies (Bertha B*tch) NEVER comes out of her cave...once in a blue moon when all the stars are aligned and a democrat is in office - you can catch her getting a drink around 3am...lolol She's mean as a polecat, too! Don't worry about it, in other words, my friend. Rosies are psychonauts by nature. LMAO :D By the way; you're giving WAY too many prey items at once....

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're wanting a T. that is handleable AND wants to be seen - try a Grammastola aureostriata. Very beautiful and very friendly and "on display" - they seem to know how pretty they are! ;)

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's regular rosie behaviour there my friend. They do a wide variaty of questionable things..digging, building mountains, moving terrain, dragging water dishes, even making garbage cans. My rosie just finished digging a tunnle from the bottom of her hide, down to the bottom of the enclosure where it meets the wall, along the wall for about 13 inches and then dug out a bit of a cave. In turn she moved all that extra dirt out and made a mountain up the opposite corner of the tank, almost if she was devising some sort of escape plan {D . Don't worry, just make sure she's got water in the dish (not outside of it for the love of god) and watch for a molt. Good luck in the event of a molt! =)