My PinkToe Sling isn’t eating

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
Hello, so it’s been a little over a week since I got my little pink toe sling. I have tried to feed every two days but it’s just not interested. I misted twice since I’ve had it (the 10th). Where I live is pretty humid too, by the coast, and I have added more holes to the little container that it shipped with (from swift, who is amazing). From time to time it will just walk endless circles around the top, but it has webbed quite a bit. Should I be concerned? I haven’t added a water dish to the bottom as I just can’t find something small enough to fit down there, but I feel the rh is pretty high without it (Santa Barbara area).
I have really never had trouble getting avics to eat, and my curly hair has already smashed on two crickets! 8FEF9FFA-0F3D-425A-BFF4-C666DA63C2D3.jpeg DE32BA54-C5E6-41AA-AE99-2D0038A25D64.jpeg

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
definitely not experienced with this species but if one of mine refuse especially a new T or a newly rehomed T I wait at least 1 week before feeding. If it refuses after 1 week I wait another week.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Do not mist. Limited ventilation plus misting equals dead Avicularias.

You should add more ventilation (maybe you have a lot in the lid, there's no shot of the lid), stop misting. Add more leaves/cork/etc. near the top.

Not eating isn't a big deal. It'll eat when it wants

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
Do not mist. Limited ventilation plus misting equals dead Avicularias.

You should add more ventilation (maybe you have a lot in the lid, there's no shot of the lid), stop misting. Add more leaves/cork/etc. near the top.

Not eating isn't a big deal. It'll eat when it wants
Okay cool - I added a lot of holes to the top, and only misted the side a bit in the web to get it some water if it wanted. I have read that over misting is a problem so have Only done two small sprays in the week that I’ve had it. I will discontinue misting and attempt to find a small water dish. Thanks!

definitely not experienced with this species but if one of mine refuse especially a new T or a newly rehomed T I wait at least 1 week before feeding. If it refuses after 1 week I wait another week.
K - sounds about what I‘m experiencing - I’ll try again next week. Thing is my curly hair is just eating like crazy so I was a little concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Avics can be finicky eaters. I have one juvenile that pretty much flat out refuses to eat mealworms but will eat both dead and alive crickets. Slings should scavenge feed so you could try offering something like a mealworm half to see if it is interested in that. Or leave a dead cricket and see what it does.

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
Avics can be finicky eaters. I have one juvenile that pretty much flat out refuses to eat mealworms but will eat both dead and alive crickets. Slings should scavenge feed so you could try offering something like a mealworm half to see if it is interested in that. Or leave a dead cricket and see what it does.
That’s a good idea. So far I have only tried pinhead crickets alive. I will try a mealworm next time. Thanks!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, so it’s been a little over a week since I got my little pink toe sling. I have tried to feed every two days but it’s just not interested. I misted twice since I’ve had it (the 10th). Where I live is pretty humid too, by the coast, and I have added more holes to the little container that it shipped with (from swift, who is amazing). From time to time it will just walk endless circles around the top, but it has webbed quite a bit. Should I be concerned? I haven’t added a water dish to the bottom as I just can’t find something small enough to fit down there, but I feel the rh is pretty high without it (Santa Barbara area).
I have really never had trouble getting avics to eat, and my curly hair has already smashed on two crickets! View attachment 360389 View attachment 360390
Your Avic is going to die at this rate

Read my link below

Craig73

Arachnoangel
In addition to more ventilation holes I recommend putting in some bark vertically and anchor The leaves to the bark so they are higher up so it has anchor points to help web with. The circling the enclosure is normal in my experience, it’s webbing and mine circle the enclosure more when they are in premolt, which has taken a few weeks from what I observed with my avics.

They can be finicky eaters Sometimes. How big is the pray in comparison to the sling? I have one that will only take considerably smaller pray Compared to the others.

A water bowl either in the sub or glued higher up on the side works well, preferably near bark Since they usually don’t prefer to touch the sub. Stop misting, if anything a couple of drops on the leaves/bark is fine.

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
On phone? Turn it to side- pink
Yeah I saw it when I turned to the side. Great advice! I went ahead and made a new enclosure because I don’t think this one has enough ventilation. I built it from a delicup (32oz) and put a piece of cork bark hotglued near the top (I read you don’t hot glue but I opted to). Some plants, new coco at the bottom, that’s dry and a water dish at the bottom. Will post pictures soon. Thanks!

In addition to more ventilation holes I recommend putting in some bark vertically and anchor The leaves to the bark so they are higher up so it has anchor points to help web with. The circling the enclosure is normal in my experience, it’s webbing and mine circle the enclosure more when they are in premolt, which has taken a few weeks from what I observed with my avics.

They can be finicky eaters Sometimes. How big is the pray in comparison to the sling? I have one that will only take considerably smaller pray Compared to the others.

A water bowl either in the sub or glued higher up on the side works well, preferably near bark Since they usually don’t prefer to touch the sub. Stop misting, if anything a couple of drops on the leaves/bark is fine.
The crickets are half the size of the T. I have built a new enclosure posting pics soon.

Here is the new enclosure I have built. It is a 30oz delicup with a peice of corkbark near the top, some plants, cocofiber for sub, lots of 1/16 holes, and a water dish. 12B78B98-879C-409F-9DEE-2F599A524F63.jpeg 8E605502-BA8F-4D65-BB6B-12BFEF242339.jpeg FC4AAF8C-6DC4-484D-B594-20C5615B87AE.jpeg FE974625-8233-4FDA-9417-1B20E92954F8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
There’s always the possibility it could be in premolt. When in doubt prekill the food. Two of my avics (1.5-2”) haven’t eaten in nearly 30 days. As long as they don’t look skinny and your husbandry is on point I wouldn’t overly stress.

Great news on the enclosure update. It’ll need some time to settle in again.

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
There’s always the possibility it could be in premolt. When in doubt prekill the food. Two of my avics (1.5-2”) haven’t eaten in nearly 30 days. As long as they don’t look skinny and your husbandry is on point I wouldn’t overly stress.

Great news on the enclosure update. It’ll need some time to settle in again.
It’s looking skinny and pretty dark (perhaps premolt?) and I don’t think it’s current enclosure is the best. I think the stress from a new rehouse will be better in the long run. Thanks for the input! I love these forums and that you all are willing to help so much.

ruskoinabiscuit

Arachnopeon
Quick update: I gave the sling a few days to chill out in its new home. Great news! She’s eating! Yay! Thanks so much for the help especially @viper69 for the advice and approval of the new enclosure and to @EtienneN for the suggestion of a cut in half mealworm. That’s just what I did. Cut on in half and put in the web and she’s munching on it right now. I’m super happy about this. Also, I found out that the petstore I go to breeds their own dubia roaches and they are looking great, so my T’s are gonna have plenty to much on. Thanks for the help!