My Pink Toe Made an Eggsac, Help!

zazelle

Arachnopeon
Hi, all! First post here, but i’m desperate. My pink toe (her name is Ozzy Osbourne) made an egg sac that I first noticed on February 8. It could’ve been made before then, but no longer than a week prior. She had been nesting for several weeks before. I honestly just don’t know where to go from here, but I want to hatch the eggs myself. Any advice?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Was she even paired to a male? She would had to have been paired to a male at some point since her last moult in order for those eggs to be fertilized. Avicularia often make phantom egg sacs that contain unfertilized, dud, eggs. If your female has not been paired since her last moult - that is a phantom egg sac. Let her have it for a week or so, then take it away. She won't eat or drink if she has eggs and she needs some nutrition after using her resources to produce the eggs.
Has she been paired?

cold blood

Staff member
Did you pair her? If not, has she molted in your care?

If its a fertile sac, you can pull it between the 5th and 12th of March, open the sac and put the eggs in an incubator....you may have eggs, or possibly eggs with legs at that point.

From there they just sit in the incubator till they molt to first instar, they will again blacken before molting to second instar.

At this point they can be seperated and fed a week to 10 days after molting....at that point you can sell them or give them away or whatever.

zazelle

Arachnopeon
Hi! thank you for responding! she has been paired, I went back to those who I bought her from and they told me that it is almost 100% that the eggs are fertile.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm sorry, but how are you in this 'desperate' position when she has been intentionally paired? Did you not know when you got her that the previous person paired her?

zazelle

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry, but how are you in this 'desperate' position when she has been intentionally paired? Did you not know when you got her that the previous person paired her?
Hi! i totally understand the confusion. Ozzy was wild caught before I got her, which I was unaware of when i bought her. So she was not intentionally paired, and I had no way of knowing until she made the sac that this was a possibility. I’m just looking for advice so that I can be a responsible pet-parent and take care of Ozzy and her babies to the best of my ability:).

Hi! thank you for responding! she has been paired, I went back to those who I bought her from and they told me that it is almost 100% that the eggs are fertile.
EDIT- I may not know what “paired” means exactly! Ozzy was wild caught to my understanding, so there was always a possibility that her eggs could have been fertilized before i or the people i got her from, got her.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If she is wild caught, then this statement is not correct. Yes, I would always assume a wild caught female laying an egg sac is going to have viable eggs, but that is only because it is the safer way to approach the situation - since there is no way to be sure. Erring on the side of caution and all that.
However, it still could very well be a phantom egg sac. Just prepare yourself in case it isn't.
And the people who you got her from were incredibly unethical to not inform you that you were buying a wild caught spider - in the event that something exactly like this were to happen and take a totally unprepared person off guard.
I really hope that you will deal with more ethical tarantula suppliers in the future.