My Phymata has a corpse pile?

AAO

Arachnosquire
So I’ve had my Phymata fasciata for about 3 months now, and ever since I’ve had him he always stacks his discarded fruit-flies in one of the fake flowers in his enclosure. It’s like a little trash pile and he actually always sits next to it which i thought was kind of weird. I was wondering if anyone else had an ambush bug that did this? I thought it was an interesting behavior. I wonder if it’s so the ambush bug can catch and eat any bug that is attracted to the fly bodies or maybe he’s just trying to be tidy.

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
it is very commmon for tarantulas to have a designated spot to put there carcasses, suprisingly tarantulas up keep their enclosures pretty well

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I’ve had my Phymata fasciata for about 3 months now, and ever since I’ve had him he always stacks his discarded fruit-flies in one of the fake flowers in his enclosure. It’s like a little trash pile and he actually always sits next to it which i thought was kind of weird. I was wondering if anyone else had an ambush bug that did this? I thought it was an interesting behavior. I wonder if it’s so the ambush bug can catch and eat any bug that is attracted to the fly bodies or maybe he’s just trying to be tidy.
Would imagine the pile might attract more flies in the wild so I can see a method. They don't know they're in captivity so it's a good way of attracting even more potential prey.

AAO

Arachnosquire
Would imagine the pile might attract more flies in the wild so I can see a method. They don't know they're in captivity so it's a good way of attracting even more potential prey.
Thats what is was thinking. Pretty cool behavior to watch. I wonder if I could find some cadaver-munching feeders to reward his natural behavior.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thats what is was thinking. Pretty cool behavior to watch. I wonder if I could find some cadaver-munching feeders to reward his natural behavior.
So long as there's something to suck dry I think the little assassin will be happy enough.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I always figured it was just a midden so they don't breed disease. It'd be interesting to see if removing the midden in the wild reduces prey capture.