my perfect dog

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love my dog, she has been thru the worst and best times of my life with me,always by my side. I will never ever have another dog like her.She is my picture of a perfect dog. Great with my kids, other animals, etc.I have had her from four pounds to her now 110 pounds. I could go on forever, I am sure most people who love their pets can....but anyhow...
I performed an ERD test on her, and it came back medium positive...which in laymans terms means: early kidney damage. I am crushed.
It is hard to keep a professional attitude when it is your own animal. It is easy to hand out advice to someone else, quite different when you yourself have to follow your own words.

So, anyhow, my question is: anyone here have any experience with owning a dog with kidney disease?

I am curious to know how you STOPPED giving a bite of your sandwich or cake or whatever goodie you may be eating, (she looks at me so pitiful), how you managed to change them over to bland boring dog food from whatever dogfood they were used to eating...Im curious on what treatment options you were given to try...
The one disgusting question I am avoiding is : How long from diagnosis to the end of their life?

Thanks.

Kim

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rapunzel, my heart goes out to you and your dog. I didn't have a dog with kidney disease, but, I did have a dog I grew up with for 15 years. I lost her 4 years ago at 19, and I still think about her a lot. There will never be another dog, like yours or mine, because they hold a special place in our hearts. Molly suffered from arthritis and cancer. It was hard to stop giving her people food when her health started declining, but I had to think about what was best for her, no matter how much she wanted me to break the rules. I do not know how much time is left, but my advice to you is, take advantage of the time you have left. The day might come when you have to think about the dignity they have left and their quality of life. It will be a hard decision, but sometimes we have to do what is best for our animals. Feel free to PM me anytime you need to.

Bry

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you, Bry. i am sorry about your dog.

Seems I can't keep a professional attitude when dealing with my own. Much much easier when I am the one dosing and giving the tx regimen to be followed for someone elses babies.
I couldn't even read your reply without tearing up...I can't imagine not having her.
The sad thing about loving something is that right from the start, from the very beginning, you KNOW that odds are, you are going to outlive it, yet you still get it, bring it home, love it, and leave yourself so darned vulnerable to being hurt.Yet, you do it anyway.

My dog is going to be seven next month. I had her through the five hardest years of my life, and whenever I didn't think I could NOT take life for one more second, she was there, with her twenty-foot long tongue to lick my troubles away, if even for just a few minutes.

Attachments

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
My heart goes out to you too. I know what its like to be devistated by a pets illness. My cat lost her battle with cancer, and Im feeling pretty crushed myself...shes only been gone 19 days. :(

Now, we do have a cat who is 17 and who has had kidney problems. Why not look into holistic treatment as well as conventional? THere are herbs out there, and supplements that are fantastic for the kidneys and function. My mom boils parsley and puts the water into my cats water, parsley is extremely good for kidney function. Im sure you are as willing as we were to try anything to help your pet live longer, healthier life.

Why not try that?

Best wishes to you,

Margaret

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Rapunzel....
Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear the news....I have 2 furry children of my own, and I'd be devastated as well.
I don't know what to tell you, but like SS mentioned, you might want to look into holistic treatments.
Also, I am pet sitting a 10 year old American Eskimo right now, and she has kidney problems. Her owner has her on Dr Pitcairn's 'kidney diet', which involves making her food yourself.
It's not hard to do (if I can do it ANYONE can!). Her owner has the book, and he's modified the recipe somewhat to fit her requirements even more.
The website for more information (and how to find out more about the book) is www.drpitcairn.com
I always thought cooking for dogs is silly, till I found out how beneficial it can be!
Good luck, my thoughts are with you..

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kim,
Sorry about the pup.:(
I know how your feeling.
You know my pups story.:(

Ern

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rapunzel, what's your dog's name? Also, what breed is he? Looks to be a lab mix. He looks like an older version of a female black lab mix I lost two years ago.

Bry

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks everyone...

Her name is Meg. We got her two days after I took my son (then 3) to the show to see that Hercules cartoon, I think it was,. and one of the cartoon heroes names was Megera. So, that was what he named her.
She is a lab/great dane mix. Right now she is "babysitting" the button quail chicks for me. My darn cat fell through the screen lid, almost had a total disaster here last night, but I think they are all going to be okay. So, Meg came in to see what I was fussing about and met the lil chicks. I told her to "Lookit Meggie, they are just babieeeeesss". Now, she is camped by the tank, laying along side of it. The key being babies. I always tell her something is a babyyyy when I want her to be nice and gentle. She can live with any animal without ever hurting it. She sure is special. I won't be surprised when they are bigger if I don't get a few pictures of them roosting on her. She used to give kisses to my Quaker parrot and he in turn, would peirce her tongue. Never stopped her though, she would walk up and SHLLLUUURRRPPP him, and he would bite...over and over and over.
Agggggggrrrrrrhhhhhhh! Look I am rambling and rambling and rambling...kinda like a old grannie does about her grandkids...:eek:

KIM

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, I took Meg and the brat pup to the pond today.

They had so much fun! Ran and romped through the fields and swam and basically exhausted themselves. I just cannot...I stress CANNOT get the pup to listen to me though. If she didnt follow my dog everywhere, I would never be able to take her off-lead. As it is, I call Meg back when they get too far away, and the pup follows. I got aggrivated, and put the lead back on the pup..and she ALMOST yanked me into the pond.
Its not that she doesnt understand, when my b/f is around, she listens to him and follows commands like a perfect angel.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You have to become the source of the food. Don't allow her ready access to the food ... feed her her rations over the day only when she has done something for you. She won't listen to you unless you control the resources (i.e. are higher in the pack)

Cheers,
Dave

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think everyone who has owned a dog can understand what you are going through. My best advice to you on the food issue is to keep a little bit of her food with you and when you are eating just toss her a couple of pieces and I'm sure she will be content on getting what she gets. In the long run we have to do what is best for our animals because it is what will keep them with us a long time.