My P. Imp. Has A Distended Anus, Any Help?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello;
I got home from work today and checked in on my emps. and noticed one of my males buried over at the entrance of one of the hides in a communal tank (2 males 2 females). He was listless and noticeably weak, I lifted him from the tank and cleaned him off and was checking him out. there is no noticeable damage nor any mites on him. But I did notice the anus was swelled. Anyone have this happen to any of their scorps? will the swelling go down? Will he die? :(
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Thaedion.

Also has his Aculeus been clipped? It looks blunted to me.

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't know whats up with the scorpions anus but my scorpions aculeus
looks blunt aswell but it can still sting things without a problem i would show you a picture but i don't have a working camera

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that could be caked on feces. try removing it with a moistened swab. if untreated, this can block waste and impact a scorpion's bowels.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks 'Pandinus', That was one of my first thoughts and I did just what you said. It is definitely swollen though. I tried to get a better straight on shot which showed the actual orifice there at the top of the swell, but it was too blurry.

The scorpion is semi-active today he moves around but not as he used to. :(

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The the area doesn't look too good, tough to say what effect it will ultimately have on its survival. Communals often get blunted tips, as the aculeus is pretty much a needle point, and though rather strong, a strike that misses and hits something solid will often break the very tip. It's still sharp enough they can easily penetrate though.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i also have an emp with those problems, but they are all active, hide at their burrow at day and shows out at night, it also molted twice and still have that problem on the tail, i have no problems so far.
:)

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Kahoy for the help. I never saw anything like this before and was worried that it would have a detrimental effect on him. He is moving about normally now.:cool:

The night I saw him listless was also the first really cold night we had here this month (it dropped from 12° C to -5° C external in one day) and I keep the house 16°-18° C, the cage has an external heat source keeping the substrate 25°-27° C. It just could of been a mix of many variables.:rolleyes:

I am keeping an eye on him though. ;)

Thanks Thaedion

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the anus of mine also extendends out when it poo, then goes back after, but it is still noticeble, i think you got a problem on the temperature thats why it got weak. :)