My own enclosure design

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I just ’finished‘ designing an enclosure for some of my tarantulas. It’s based on the style of enclosures we use in Europe but with some tweaks.

Access to the inside:
Front panel: As I can‘t really make good door system, I decided to keep the guillotine way of taking the front lid off. That way seems rather foolproof and tarantula won’t be able to raise the glass panel on it’s own.

Top lid: After removing front panel, top lid would be also removable. I’m planning to install gliders on the top for the front lid to allow easier maintenance. It would also be made from acrylic instead of glass, that way it’s possible to drill as many holes for additional ventilation as possible.

Ventilation:
Front: I’m keeping the perforated piece of steel in the front from the original design. The only reason for that is to provide a reason to use another piece of glass to glue it there to keep the structure more steady, especially when full of substrate etc. Also, additional ventilation won‘t hurt.

Sides: on all 3 sides I’m planning to have rectangles cut out and then either find some sort of ventilation “mesh” or just drilled acrylic to glue it in there. I’m still figuring out what to place there. (any ideas?). General idea is to keep 4-5cm of glass before making the hole so the structure isn’t affected and it doesn’t break.

Top: top lid is acrylic so I can either keep it in one piece or drill holes.

What do you think? Is it good or do you have any ideas how to improve it?

Attachments

Postmalone35

Arachnosquire
I think it looks very good. I like to include few holes in the bottom to allow drainage or water flushing if necessary.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I think it looks very good. I like to include few holes in the bottom to allow drainage or water flushing if necessary.
If enclosure is watered well, then I don't see any reason for that to be honest. + drilling in glass is never a good idea becasue it could affect structural itegrity.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
hi, i just only stumbled on this thread. have you built it yet? updates please :)

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
hi, i just only stumbled on this thread. have you built it yet? updates please :)
I changed design a bit since cutting out rectangles in glass is rather expensive. I went for a small piece of acrylic with holes cut out between two pieces of glass. I had to use some sort of frame between those as silicone won't keep glass and acrylic together.

Anyways, I made the prototype enclosure and it works for sure, however I'm not that happy with aesthetics.
I'm working on another design (I'll attach what I have for now) and it seems a bit more promising.

Attachments

hibiscusmile

Arachnopeon
I have plastic and stainless steel mesh on my site. Neither no see em' s or fruit flies can get thru them. Hope it is ok to post this.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I changed design a bit since cutting out rectangles in glass is rather expensive. I went for a small piece of acrylic with holes cut out between two pieces of glass. I had to use some sort of frame between those as silicone won't keep glass and acrylic together.

Anyways, I made the prototype enclosure and it works for sure, however I'm not that happy with aesthetics.
I'm working on another design (I'll attach what I have for now) and it seems a bit more promising.
thank you so much for that!! what are the dimensions of the design (including the front piece that holds substrate)? do you have pics of a tarantula in the setup?

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Whole enclosure is 20x20x20cm. Currently I have my female X. immanis inside. I'll send you more information in message, I don't want to make it messy here.