My other hobby, skeletonization

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the finished products are cool, but i don't care much for the cleaning process. a bit too graphic for my taste.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I once had to do a whole bird of some sort for a highschool biolgoy project. Lucky for me it was duck season. Dad brought me one home, I took out all the good meat and made sweet and sour duck. Dad gutted the thing and I boiled it, then he did the brains and eyeballs part... I cant handle brains and eyeballs at all... I picked off the rest of the meat, and let it dry on a cookie sheet in our shed for a few weeks and it worked out great. I gave it a bit of a velociraptor neck twist thing for effect (I watch too many movies ;) ) Mine only one second place though, because my friends had found a dead raven and did that. Talk about awesome! It is too bad that I dont have it anymore, but my teacher begged me for it and I caved in... It had the toe nails and everything.

I had an elk head once that I was going to do up, but I had blown half the top of the skull off, and the brains and eyeballs thing got to me again. :(

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New project

New project...from my smallest skeleton (mouse) to my largest skeleton:

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What other beetles or bugs would you guys recommend for this type of stuff?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My dad gave me the carcass of a Sharp Shinned Hawk that bonked itself on a window at his house. If I can't find a taxidermist to mount it for me (I'm guessing illegally) I'll try the skeletonization thing.

I've even thought about freeze drying it perhaps. Posing it how I want, and letting it dry instead of stuffing or skeletonizing it.

I've already got an opossum decaying under some boards in the woods behind the house. So far so good. I see bones and hair, just a bit left. I'll probably take it up this spring.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In case some of you didn't think I was weird enough already.....here's what I've been doing to entertain myself while building the dear skeleton:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my fiance agreed to let me start this hobby when we get a bigger place.

SQUEEE! :D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For you in Canada - "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery channel visit Skulls Unlimited for some skull cleaning. The show rerun at midnite
Quite entertaining episode!

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I'm sure I could find this information elsewhere, I couldn't find it on this thread so I might as well ask.
How does one go about removing the brains, or do the dermestids take care of that?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A thin steelwire inserted into the brain and chop it up in small pieces which are washed out with water

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Those teaspoons with really long handles, they use for eating shakes and malts and stuff work well with bigger skulls. :D Otherwise the stick method works great, and get a hose with a power spray to spray into it. Cleans it slicker N snot.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why is this making me laugh?!?{D
That photo of the sticks being jammed into the back of the skull; that's not supposed to be hilarious, right?
God, I'm sick...

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why is this making me laugh?!?{D
That photo of the sticks being jammed into the back of the skull; that's not supposed to be hilarious, right?
God, I'm sick...
at first glance it looks like youve harvested a skull shaped raddish... LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those teaspoons with really long handles, they use for eating shakes and malts and stuff work well with bigger skulls. :D Otherwise the stick method works great, and get a hose with a power spray to spray into it. Cleans it slicker N snot.
My mom has several really long ones that came with her new silver ware set, and thats what I have been using. Just no one tell her please. {D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Sky!! I know!! My daughter saw me using one to clean out a buffalo skull and she wont eat off of ANY of them now!!!! :D I get such morbid glee out of it!! :D:D:D

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's been a while since I updated! I've got some new skulls and I tried preserving and stuffing a squirrel! Here goes:

First off, I shot this squirrel and ate it (it was tasty) but the thing was so big I decided I would try my hand at some taxidermy. The result is decent enough.

Warning, the next image may disturb some! WARNING!

I found this on the side of the road today and went for it, should make a cool skull:

Recently I've also done:

Some different species of birds found alongside the roads. If you can guess them I'll be impressed!!!!

And the above skull, any guesses?