My oldest and largest tarantula died today...

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:wall:

I awoke this morning to find my 7 inch female sericopelma rubronitens stuck in a molt. Considering that she was 5 inches when I bought her approximately 7 years ago... I think she may have been between 10 and 15 years old (only an estimate). When I first seen her I noticed she had only withdrawn one leg... she was attempting this molt right-side-up which I've never seen her do. I gently flipped her over and proceded to help remove the molt. I cut all of the exoskeleton away except for the legs I then made a cut at the base of the exo-leg so it would loosen and I pulled them off one by one. I sucessfully removed the entire exoskeleton... and suprisingly she didn't resist much at all (a little movement here and there) Though I do believe she is going to die regardless (due to old age), it was interesting to find that it can be done. Who knows maybe I can save a tarantula in the future. I plan to attempt this on a post ultimate male and later I may start a thread relating to this subject.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm very sorry to hear this, at least you did what you could to try and help her. R.I.P little one. :(

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a real bummer. Really sorry to hear :(

But you did your best, and I'm sure if she could, she'd thank you for it! :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bummer man! I have read that these guys can pull through some crazy odds, so why not move her to an ICU and hope for the best?

Last edited: