My Next Tarantula --Hehehe

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
I'm getting one (only, one) tarantula at the reptile show in Daytona, Florida in August. It's a huge show and I'm sure they'll have any species you could name.

I only have one, an adult male Chilean rose. I'm still a beginner.

I was thinking about getting:
Brachypelma smithi (spiderling)
Avicularia avicularia
Avicularia versicolor

-I would like the B. smithi because weather its male or female, I'll have it for much longer than the others. Plus, I want to try a spiderling.
(Will they feed on pin head crix?)

-I like the A. versicolor because its just beautiful, and I would like the challenge. Plus the cage would be fun to make. (How much do they cost?)

-I think it might be smarter to get A. avicularia because its more hardy than the versicolor. Also, a fun cage to make.

To give you an idea of what I'm like, I usually go above and beyond, (my g. rosea is in a ten gallon aquarium with multiple hides and a thermal gradiant in the cage). I don't believe in keeping any pet in minimum cage sizes, and I have fun making ellaborate cages.

However, I have no actual income, because I'm only 14 and I can't afford an expensive tarantula. I have enough money to feed the taranula and its crix, but thats about it.

*** By the way, I need to find that plastic screen for ventilation, should I buy one of the Avicularias, where could I buy some?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you get a small sling of any of those species it will actually be better off in a small vial or if it is large enough, one of those plastic cubes. You'd actually be doing the sling a diservice by putting it in something much larger. Either way, that's pretty inexpensive.

i think you ought to go for a B. smithi sling. Sure they grow slow but like you said they are longer lived than other species. Also, slings are a lot of fun since they molt so often. i love watching mine as they grow and their colors change.

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
Small T = Small Cage

Small T= Small Cage. It seems logical, perhaps too logical--lol

I know, I would want a spiderling just big enough to be kept in a small deli cup and hopefully it would be able to eat pinhead crix, because I don't wanna mess with that fruit fly garbage.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think you ought to go for a B. smithi sling. Sure they grow slow but like you said they are longer lived than other species. Also, slings are a lot of fun since they molt so often. i love watching mine as they grow and their colors change.
I agree, also the smithi might be a little more hardy and easier to keep than any avic. (i haven't had much luck with avics no matter how hard i try)

Pinheads should be fine for a sling.

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
As a bonus, the ten gallon cage my G. rosea is in will be open, when its time for an upgrade. :D Assuming, I dont get impatient and fill it :D

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can get one of the small AMAC display cubes from the container store for $0.69 They are perfect for slings and you can even get a larger one for when it gets big enough to transfer before reaching mature size and either going in your 10 gal. or one like it. The display cubes range in size and price...but none more than $2.99. I use them for all my slings (even when I have vials) and they work great. Plus you can get tall or short for burrowing/terrestrial/arboreal T's. You can check them all out in the link in my sig. They are towards the bottom of the page.

As far as between what you named for choices, I would say the smithi is a great choice, and seems like you already know the pros about it. Longer life, probably out in the open more, not as fast moving, doesn't require the suggested higher humidity.

Since you have a terrestrial now though...you could go arboreal, and keep an avicularia...they are amazing to watch web. I personally favor the look of the versicolor, so I would lean towards that one if you would rather go arboreal...but totally up to you. The nice thing is...the avic's are cheap enough you could get both of them for the price of the smithi...lol. :D

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
I would have to go with the smithi even though I am getting a versicolor later this month. My little smithi is awesome in my opinion so I guess I'm a little bias!! LOL :D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what show is in daytona? all that google is turning up is shows from previous years, could someone please link me to this years site. thanks in advance!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what show is in daytona? all that google is turning up is shows from previous years, could someone please link me to this years site. thanks in advance!
if you go to kingsnake.com they always have all of the show listings there, the daytona show is the biggest,the show is around at the end of august.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok me and Bay have both a versi and a smithi and both are great i love the colors on um.The only problem i have with my versi is that she likes to web a bit to much so i never see her lol.Either way when u go take a look and see which you like most andwhich one ya get a good feeling withand buy it lol..

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just remember most people get a reaction from the smithi's uriticating hairs. And some get an allergy to them..
I would make it a practice to double glove OR get a pair or dishwashing gloves.
Wash hands immediately after handling your smithi, even with gloves on.

I got a wc a. avic late last year and it is doing fine in a herp ranch style KK, that is on its side.. It has a ton of ventilation slots ON the KK itself and a great mesh w/ wide door top.
I have a plastic 16 oz cup that I cut the bottom out of, and heated the edges to make them smooth... I feed one cricket 2X a week. I put water in the dish 2-3 a week, and overflow it every time just a bit.
I have raised 1 pokie from 1 inch, 2 p. cambridgei from 1/16 inch slings. And now have a P. cambridgei, P. Irmina, and a pokie sling I am raising.
Ventilation, moisture seem to be the key.
Good luck and have fun.

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have several of the Amac cubes currently housing some G.Aureostriata spiderlings. I've been to the container store but the local one only seems to have the standard Amac cubes. The lid on the standard cubes is too deep, I only like to use the "flat top" amac cubes but can't seem to find them at the Container Store.

With the standard deep lids, the spiderlings that like to bulldoze often push substrate up past the seam and it makes it harder to get into the cube for feeding and watering. The deep lids also make it difficult to fill them enough, so there is often too much space above the substrate and the slings could fall and get injured.

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
Also, would they all be OK on the car ride back, from Daytona to Tampa,
(several hours). It would be air contioned and everything.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have several of the Amac cubes currently housing some G.Aureostriata spiderlings. I've been to the container store but the local one only seems to have the standard Amac cubes. The lid on the standard cubes is too deep, I only like to use the "flat top" amac cubes but can't seem to find them at the Container Store.

With the standard deep lids, the spiderlings that like to bulldoze often push substrate up past the seam and it makes it harder to get into the cube for feeding and watering. The deep lids also make it difficult to fill them enough, so there is often too much space above the substrate and the slings could fall and get injured.
The ones with the deep lids are the M series, and the others are just flat tops, which are the regular AMAC boxes. I still use the M series for my slings that are 0.5" and larger. They are a little tall for smaller slings, but like you said...they seem to like bulldozing the sub. up in the corners...though none of mine push it past the top of the base...so I can still open mine easily. I think my 0.5" slings have about 1.25" of open space from sub. to the top of the containers. I put sphagnum moss in there, and all my slings usually place it in corners...as if to make landing pads in case they fall. No injuries so far. A fall from 2x a slings body height into soft substrate or moss shouldn't be enough to cause issues. My A. seemani is CLUMSY as can be, and falls alot...I think he jumps from up top on purpose...crazy little T. Anyway...just put some moss in there to absorb some impact if they fall, and dont pack the substrate down...leave it "fluffy" on the top. All should be okay. You can go with the other flat tops of course if you wish...just wanted to share my experience with them.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have both that you mentioned and both are great , beautiful T's flip a coin! youll be happy either way i think so.. GOOD LUCK AT THE SHOW

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The ones with the deep lids are the M series, and the others are just flat tops, which are the regular AMAC boxes.
Well, perhaps instead of "standard" I should have been more clear and said "original". The M Series is the "original" Amac box, and that is all that the local Container Store carries. I haven't been able to find any more of tha "Flat Top" series.

From the Amac website:

Products: M Series
AMAC's original line of plastic boxes have been a favorite of designers and packagers since the 1960s.

Products: Flat Top Series
We created the Flat Top Series in response to customer requests for a box that could be filled to the top.
Unlike the tall lids on our M Series, these boxes feature closures that are flush with the top of the box, creating the perfect packaging solution for small and large items alike.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good way to drill holes in the lids without cracking the acrylic? I tried to drill as slowly as possible and no matter what I do I get small cracks around the holes that I fear will lengthen as time goes by.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, so you know what I meant....flat top vs. the original M series..just typed it backwards. I used a dremel tool to drill out all of mine...not a single crack yet in over 30 habitats made.

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
Nobody answered me, Will they be ok on the car ride home? I already know what I'm keeping it in, so save it for another thread.

Sorry, if I sound mean but this is the 3rd thread on this board where people just ignored me and went totally off topic. Its getting old.

To every one else, thanks for your help. Well if I were to get an avicularia species, which one is the most "rewarding."

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Should be fine as long as you keep it out of the sun. If you're not uncomfortably hot it shouldn't be either.

---Jen

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the A/C is on, then what are you worried about? Of course they'll be fine. They survive in a mail truck don't they?