My newest additions. I'd love some stories from other keepers!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hey guys! Long time, no post.

Anyway

I've recently gotten a few new Ts (I actually had 29 new Ts but I've sold all but 7!)

The species I'm keeping are all new to me.

I have 3 B. emilia slings as well as a 2 inch juvenile female B. emilia.

One 1 inch H. gigas sling

One 3/4 inch G. pulchripes sling

And a 4 inch female A. seemanni

I'm aware of all the basic care info, what my seller (whom I trust) told me, and what I've read here and learned from my other species.

But if anyone wants to share their tips and tricks and experiences with any of these species I'd love to hear them!!!

Attachments

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Of these I only have H. gigas.
Two 1.5" slings and a 5" adult (female I think). They're pet holes in every sense of the word. I really haven't seen the adult since I got her about 2 months ago. She doesn't even come out at night. The slings on the other hand are almost always at the base of their burrows waiting for food. All 3 are my best eaters though, by far.
Wish I could get pictures.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Of these I only have H. gigas.
Two 1.5" slings and a 5" adult (female I think). They're pet holes in every sense of the word. I really haven't seen the adult since I got her about 2 months ago. She doesn't even come out at night. The slings on the other hand are almost always at the base of their burrows waiting for food. All 3 are my best eaters though, by far.
Wish I could get pictures.
I'm used to pet holes right now with my C. darlingi making an appearance once every like 3 months.

My marshalli sits in the open more often when it's warm and she's mid molt cycle

I got this H. gigas sling as a freebie and decided to keep it as I had been wanting a king baboon... But this seems to be a good 2nd choice. Especially for free.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Nice additions, G, pulchripes and A. seemanni are easy to keep both will eat well and do OK with the occasional overflowing of the water dish,

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
H.gigas needs very high humidity. If you're ready for another OW, they're a great T to test the waters with! Mine is more tame than any of my NWs. Just don't forget that they have nasty venom and can change personalities in a split second.

gobey

Arachnoknight
H.gigas needs very high humidity. If you're ready for another OW, they're a great T to test the waters with! Mine is more tame than any of my NWs. Just don't forget that they have nasty venom and can change personalities in a split second.
Yeah I have the gigas in a pretty moist setup

It's the first T I've really needed to make that kind of environment for

The rest all do well on dry and semi moist substrate

I'm no stranger to how to treat OWs. I have 2 P. regalis, a C. darlingi and marshalli, an H. mac, and an OBT.

The gigas came as a surprise though and I decided to keep it due to a similar size and behavior to P. muticus which I had as my next on my wishlist.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have all of these. My seemani is a male. 2 g pulchripes-one female other unknown, 3 h gigas 1.5 inches and a 1" B emilia. My H gigas are not very impressive. Deep moist dirt and u will occasionally see them for a few seconds. im going to try trading them when they r a bit larger. The others are just regular terrestrial t's. The A seemani also likes to be kept a bit humid. I put plastic over the top of his enclosure except for four inches in the middle. There r two water dishes in his enclosure, which keeps him happy.

cold blood

Staff member
H. gigas is a highly under-rated t IMO. They eat like total beasts, grow pretty fast and get really large...but don't be fooled, they're still incredibly fast. But the tunnels they make, and the speed in which they make them is amazing. If you gave them 10 feet to burrow in, there's no doubt in my mind that they would use the whole 10'.

Pulchripes are also a favorite....great eaters when small, just keep them in a smaller enclosure and they will always be out and ready to eat. House them in a larger enclosure and they just may burrow away for extended periods of time. At your size, it should be molting pretty frequently, but by about 1.5-2", their growth slows a bunch...although you do get rewarded by significant growth per molt.

I've heard emelia slings are among the slowest growers in Brachypelma....if its anything like my albiceps, its gonna take some patience, but the reward will be significant...although you cheated and got a sexed female...that skippydude's been good to you:)

gobey

Arachnoknight
H. gigas is a highly under-rated t IMO. They eat like total beasts, grow pretty fast and get really large...but don't be fooled, they're still incredibly fast. But the tunnels they make, and the speed in which they make them is amazing. If you gave them 10 feet to burrow in, there's no doubt in my mind that they would use the whole 10'.

Pulchripes are also a favorite....great eaters when small, just keep them in a smaller enclosure and they will always be out and ready to eat. House them in a larger enclosure and they just may burrow away for extended periods of time. At your size, it should be molting pretty frequently, but by about 1.5-2", their growth slows a bunch...although you do get rewarded by significant growth per molt.

I've heard emelia slings are among the slowest growers in Brachypelma....if its anything like my albiceps, its gonna take some patience, but the reward will be significant...although you cheated and got a sexed female...that skippydude's been good to you:)
He's given me the majority of my collection at this point almost lol.

I literally received 23 freebies from him in 2 orders.

I'm keeping a few of the emilia slings along with the female. I have 5 total now if you include her so I can spare a couple lol. I've been notified they'll grow painfully slow lol. I just NEEDED one though. It's been on my wishlist for ages. The 2 inch female is SUPER calm. Which is awesome as I expeteced a skittish T.

I literally just upgraded the pulchripes to a larger enclosure that was freed up just because of its size. I suppose I'm going to encourage it to burrow now lol. I'm used to it. My albopilosums burrowed when I gave them space too. Way back years ago I had considered a G. pulchripes for my 3rd T species but ended up getting B. albopilosum instead. So getting one here as a freebie was sweet. I like big terrestrial Ts with good appetites. Hopefully it'll be full grown around when I need to rehouse or even replace my LP.

The gigas hasn't dug yet actually since I put it in his new enclosure.

But it ate a mealworm so I'm hoping its settling in ok.

The seemanni has barely moved at all lol.

Tried feeding her but the cricket ended up sneaking by her and is now trapped in her hide behind her as she sits at the entrance. :happy: 0125172321a.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
A.seemani can be a pet hole, so watch out.
I see mine out every night between October to April, she then seals her burrow up and does not come out or eat for the rest of the year. I just wet a part of the sub during this time until she comes out. Though when she is out she is a great eater.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
The G. pulchripes is one of my favorites. I have a roughly 2-2 1/2 inches suspect male that stays out in the open. I've seen him take down prey as fast as my OWs lol and he's been a good eater (I've had him since he was 1/4"). The H. gigas is another favorite (ok all my tarantulas are my favorites haha) Mine is around the 3 inch mark, suspect male and absolutely LOVES being in water. When I rehoused mine into one of the super large Kritter Keepers, I cut out about 8 inches from the bottom one of the big gallon bottles of water, hot glued the top ring so there was no sharp edges, washed it and dried it then buried it flush with the substrate, willed with water and some plants so it can climb in and out. I made several premade "tunnel" opportunities with pieces of cork bark for added sense of security in hopes it would tunnel against the side so it could be observed like before. It took it around 2 and a half weeks before it made its own tunnel, by its "swimming pool" It's webbed up heavily around the leafy area comes out at night. I've caught it at the bottom of the "pool on several occasions throughout the day as well the night. They are quite interesting species to own, IMO. Fortunately I have not seen a threat pose out of mine yet, generally it either dives in the water if its disturbed, or dives down it's hole. Healthy appetite for sure and takes down prey with super fast speed...blink of an eye and you've missed it lol.