My Newest Addition

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I have wanted a snake for some time now as it has been seven years since I have owned one. I went to a local pet shop to check out what spiders if any they had. and came across the ball python tank and saw the price was only thirty dollars. I thought to myself, Self, you have to get one. So I ran over to my friends house who also works there. I said I need your discount and so off we went. So I got what I believe to be a female because of the lack of spurs near the anus. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. But anyway, after all was said and done I walked out with a 15 day old ball python, a medium critter keeper and a very big smile. All for would you belive Eleven dollars total. Anyway. I'm setting up her new tank now. Boy is she a beauty. She is just stuck to me like glue. She curled around my arm and hasn't really moved much from my wrist in two days. Needless to say I am buying two more on payday.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
That sounds like a good deal for a very cool animal! Congrats!

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was stoked to say the least. I can't seem to find them for less than $80 around here, so I was pleased to see a price of $30. Even more pleased to see it drop to $11. She is so calm I have never had a snake this calm and I've had 5 ball pythons before this on. I can make sudden movments and she still feels safe and won't freak out like the others I've owned before her. I ended up having to taxi a few people around today and she stayed right on my arm. hardly moved at all. Now that she is all warmed up I let her out and she calmed right down. I put her back in the tank and she would not stop trying to get out. She fell asllep on my wrist again so she is in her cage sleeping now.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
That sounds really sweet! ;) I guess in the future you'll have to feed her on you, have to have her shed on you... poop on you... an so on :D

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not to keen on the whole pooping on me but I used to hand feed my rattlers. Sheding on me, not so likely.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The size of the spurs is not a reliable indicator of sex, but if you post a pic of the underside of her cloaca and tail (gently stretched out straight) I can visually sex him/her for you based on the proportions of the tail. Its a technique that comes with practice and I am correct 98% of the time. I don't believe in probing baby snakes when they are so small as it is to easy to damage them, and 'popping' (manually everting the hemipenes) can be equally dangerous if done incorrecty.

Btw, 15 days is shockingly young to be selling baby royals - do you know if she has even had her first shed and feed yet?

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He told me they force fed the snake when they came in four days ago. And It still has some shed left on it's right eye, but I dampened a napkin and wraped her in in for a while, I think it finally came off now. I'll see if I can get a good shot, but all i have is a webcam. I should se if my bro can take one with his digi.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hate to play devils advocate here, but im jsut curious why you would purchase an animal that had to be force fed? I just feel with a snake thats notorious for having feeding problems at times, that just makes even more of a risk.

Hopefully thats not the case and everything works out fine, Balls are great snakes (a little small for my taste, but still great snakes)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats!! Just remember, this little one needs some time in its tank to rest and get used to its new surroundings. With our snakes we always follow the rule of you bring it home, transfer it to its tank, and the first 2 weeks are hands off. Then you slowly start a handling routine. You start with about 10 minutes and work your way up

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i hate to play devils advocate here, but im jsut curious why you would purchase an animal that had to be force fed? I just feel with a snake thats notorious for having feeding problems at times, that just makes even more of a risk.

Hopefully thats not the case and everything works out fine, Balls are great snakes (a little small for my taste, but still great snakes)
When I was told "force fed" I thought how cruel. Unless it's to save the snakes life I find this to be unnecessary. I was later told they mearly wiggled the mouse and it ate it, so force feeding was not the word they should have used.

As for handling advice, Thanks but I'm fine. If the snake was in anyway stressed I would have givin it more time but she is not even so much as headshy, like many snakes I have owned. To each there own I guess. She seems just fine in her new home and is very much ok with being handled, I'm very sure she will be a very sweet ball python when she grows up.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah ok, well under their definition I guess I still "force feed" my boa too since I wiggle the rat infront of it. That makes it a completely different situation.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
By the way they described force feeding I have a funny feeling that they'd throw live food in with the snake and leave it.