My New Wolf Spider!! Suggestions???

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
Hey! I rescued this big ( about 1.5" big with legs) male wolf spider from being killed in a lawnmower. I was mowing the lawn, and I saw a thing crawling around ahead of me where I was going to mow, so I stopped the mower and ran over to find this huge male wolf spider in the area I was going to mow. I have him in a jar filled with dirt at about halfway now, but I am not sure if that is where he needs to live. I feed him random bugs because I do not know what he actually needs. He is seeming to tame, and I cannot release him since I had him for 3 days. Plus, the frost would kill him here in Colorado. I need to know some information on how to care for him. I will post a few pics later so you can get a good feel of what I am talking about. Any suggestions??

evilebe

Arachnosquire
I think a jar work. How wide is it? Heh. You can get a kritter keeper at walmart pretty cheap. I saw some there this morning while I was waiting on the money center to open... be careful what bugs you throw in with him. I caught a centipede a while back and threw a random spider in with him and the spider killed him. It was a louse hunter that evidently has a pretty nasty bite.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
I think a jar work. How wide is it? Heh. You can get a kritter keeper at walmart pretty cheap. I saw some there this morning while I was waiting on the money center to open... be careful what bugs you throw in with him. I caught a centipede a while back and threw a random spider in with him and the spider killed him. It was a louse hunter that evidently has a pretty nasty bite.
The jar is 8" ( I think) wide . I feed it things like soft shelled beetles, horseflies, worms ( which it actually eats) and (accidentally) a common house spider. I never feed my spiders centipedes, because they can tear up anything, even snakes.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
A jar is not sufficient for a wolf spider... they are very active, skittish spiders and do best in a larger enclosure with multiple dimensions and hiding places. They also need a full, clean water dish at all times.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
As far as feeding I would personally stay away from hard shelled insects like beetles, don't want a broken fang. Crickets and moths/flies (if you want to use wild caught prey) are great for them to eat.

If the jar is 8" diameter I don't see a huge problem with it, but a nice kritter keeper with a little decor (fake plants) would look much nicer and probably a bit less stressful for him. I don't believe he needs that much substrate, an inch or two should be just fine for a wolf, but he will appreciate a hide. At that size small plastic planters cut in half work well for a hide

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do you have any pics of the spider? It could be something else as there are spiders in that look similar to wolfies.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
As far as feeding I would personally stay away from hard shelled insects like beetles, don't want a broken fang. Crickets and moths/flies (if you want to use wild caught prey) are great for them to eat.

If the jar is 8" diameter I don't see a huge problem with it, but a nice kritter keeper with a little decor (fake plants) would look much nicer and probably a bit less stressful for him. I don't believe he needs that much substrate, an inch or two should be just fine for a wolf, but he will appreciate a hide. At that size small plastic planters cut in half work well for a hide
Cool! I will try to do that. Thanks for the advice.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I know. It is a spider. I will try to get pics. How old are you??, I am 14.
Post a pic if you want a positive ID, also getting a good eye-arrangement shot would make ID most accurate. Like shining said there a lot of spiders that resemble wolf spiders, Agelenopsis are especially often confused for wolfs and the fact you saw it out and about during the daytime really makes me suspicious of it being a wolfie.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know. It is a spider. I will try to get pics. How old are you??, I am 14.
I don't understand the relevance of my age but I'll bite, I'm 31 years old and have raised at least a hundred little wolfers native to my area since I was 8.

If it is indeed of the lycosidae family from your area they like it like this...

As was mentioned earlier bigger than normal enclosure and lots of hiding spots as they are extremely active and skittish. They have no problem finding food and often chase down prey.

Dry substrate with a clean and full water dish in one corner that is overflown to moisten the immediate substrate every week or two.

Also, I don't understand the need to feed it wild caught prey. Why not just feed it the same feeders you offer your Ts?

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
A jar is not sufficient for a wolf spider... they are very active, skittish spiders and do best in a larger enclosure with multiple dimensions and hiding places. They also need a full, clean water dish at all times.
Ok. I am using a critter keeper now, so, is that ok?

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
I don't understand the relevance of my age but I'll bite, I'm 31 years old and have raised at least a hundred little wolfers native to my area since I was 8.

If it is indeed of the lycosidae family from your area they like it like this...

As was mentioned earlier bigger than normal enclosure and lots of hiding spots as they are extremely active and skittish. They have no problem finding food and often chase down prey.

Dry substrate with a clean and full water dish in one corner that is overflown to moisten the immediate substrate every week or two.

Also, I don't understand the need to feed it wild caught prey. Why not just feed it the same feeders you offer your Ts?
Thank you. This info is great. Thank you so much. I will post pics as soon as I have enough space on my phone.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
bottlecap.
Ok. I was thinking a bigger dish, like the one I used for Rosie , my Chilean rose hair, before she passed. That one is about 4" in diameter. That would not work most likely . I am glad you told me this! I was close to using it!! Thanks!