My new Ts

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hi all!
Thank you for all the advice and suggestions when I joined this board. Based on many recommendations, I purchased a Euathlus sp "red" mature female and she arrived a few days ago. I had an enclosure set up for her but I just didn't expect her to be quite so small. She was in a 5.5 gallon aquarium with acrylic drilled top. That thing was just way too big so I will hold on to it for my A. anax to move into someday. Even after dumping a whole bag of Eco earth in there, the distance from the top to the ground was too far and definitely a dangerous falling risk.

I have her in a new enclosure now. Still a bit big for her but since they like to explore I think it could be ok. She's about 2.75 inches and distance from top to the substrate is about 3.25 inches. She has a hide and a water dish. So how does it look? So far she's climbing all over to check it out. The lid to this enclosure lifts off rather easily, there is no clasp but is that ok?Also I gave her a wax worm and she walked over it without even caring!

I tried to get a good picture of her but the lighting isn't great and I dare not lift the lid because she will cruise right out of the enclosure. She is lovely and very curious. Her name is Ramona.

Edited to add: I also have a 5 month old sling, her baby. It is in a small deli cup with semi damp Eco earth and some spagnum moss. No sign of that baby today so I'm assuming they are buried/burrowing.

On a totally side note, I had to put my 13 year old cat to sleep yesterday. I'm pretty sad so it is nice to work on these enclosures and focus on the Ts for a bit. I don't know about you guys, but I sure get attached to my critters!

Attachments

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
Are you the one who bought a B. albopilosum for your therapy office? Are these your new "pet" tarantulas, just for you? :p I think the enclosure could do with a bit more substrate but besides that it looks pretty good to me. Good choice on the species, too. I've got a few slings and they are tiny tiny. Also sorry about your cat :( My dog is a senior now and I worry about that.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Are you the one who bought a B. albopilosum for your therapy office? Are these your new "pet" tarantulas, just for you? :p I think the enclosure could do with a bit more substrate but besides that it looks pretty good to me. Good choice on the species, too. I've got a few slings and they are tiny tiny. Also sorry about your cat :( My dog is a senior now and I worry about that.
Yes that is me. I got an A anax sling for my therapy office. He is shy and lives in a hole so I'm excited to have a T that shows more!
Yeah the sling is teensy. Even when it is out I can barely see it.
I hope you get many more happy days with your dog. So hard to say goodbye to the fur babies. I wish cats and dogs lived as long as female Ts!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Your enclosure looks great for the adult female Euathlus sp "Red". It may take a few days to weeks for her to settle in and want to eat. try once a week till she takes prey.
If the seller bred her they will have her last molt date which will help knowing when premolt comes as they will refuse food for a very long time before molting.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Hi all!
On a totally side note, I had to put my 13 year old cat to sleep yesterday. I'm pretty sad so it is nice to work on these enclosures and focus on the Ts for a bit. I don't know about you guys, but I sure get attached to my critters!
I LOVE that enclosure! where did you get it?

as far as your cat goes, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I recently had to have my 10 year old pug put to sleep because of his age and health concerns. It's been a month and a half and I still miss him.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Congrats on getting Ramona and her baby. I shall look forward to reading your updates about them. I really want an adult of that species but as they are impossible to come by, I am going to get a couple of slings. Raising them will bring its own joy I know.

Also, my sincere sympathies on the loss of your cat. I know you had said that you knew it was coming but that doesn't make it easier to lose a dear companion. Glad you have the T's to be a bright spot.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I LOVE that enclosure! where did you get it?

as far as your cat goes, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I recently had to have my 10 year old pug put to sleep because of his age and health concerns. It's been a month and a half and I still miss him.
It's a display box from Hobby Lobby. There are lots of sizes. Very good for slings or for dwarf Ts like Mama Ramona: http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...-5-1-2-x-5-Standard-Display-Case/p/906-GU0697
Then I just drilled holes in the side.

And thank you. I miss my kitty friend dearly. He was a super cool cat and I had him for a long time, through baby changes and adventures. I'm sorry about your pug friend. It's hard to say goodbye to pets, for sure.

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry about the cat...there's little in life that's more depressing than ending the life of something you dearly love.:sorry:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Congrats on getting Ramona and her baby. I shall look forward to reading your updates about them. I really want an adult of that species but as they are impossible to come by, I am going to get a couple of slings. Raising them will bring its own joy I know.

Also, my sincere sympathies on the loss of your cat. I know you had said that you knew it was coming but that doesn't make it easier to lose a dear companion. Glad you have the T's to be a bright spot.
They are VERY hard to come by and I paid a pretty penny for her. When I saw one listed I jumped on it! It seems very worth it.

Thank you for the condolences. We are having a sad weekend in the house, but I'm also grateful we have had such nice pets throughout the years. He was a sweet cat and I am glad he's not in pain anymore!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Your enclosure looks great for the adult female Euathlus sp "Red". It may take a few days to weeks for her to settle in and want to eat. try once a week till she takes prey.
If the seller bred her they will have her last molt date which will help knowing when premolt comes as they will refuse food for a very long time before molting.
Thank you. I just emailed the breeder to ask. I do know that Ramona is 7 years old. Would she still molt at this age? And from what I've read they live to be pretty old, like even last 20 years?

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you. I just emailed the breeder to ask. I do know that Ramona is 7 years old. Would she still molt at this age? And from what I've read they live to be pretty old, like even last 20 years?
They will never just stop molting...the time between mots just gets a lot longer.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi Vanessa
I am happy about your E. sp Red girlie and her baby. Roja, my mf E. sp Red, is the sweetest, most docile and just plain nosy T I have. Know yours will be entertaining.
And I, too, add to the condolences about your kitty.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hi Vanessa
I am happy about your E. sp Red girlie and her baby. Roja, my mf E. sp Red, is the sweetest, most docile and just plain nosy T I have. Know yours will be entertaining.
And I, too, add to the condolences about your kitty.
Thank you @crone. My name isn't Vanessa though

Nosy is a good word for this T. She just pops out to see what's up whenever she can. She even ended up walking on my hand yesterday. I was shocked. Such a change from my A anax, who lives in a hole and hides out. Since I have my Ts for phobia work with clients, this is just perfect. I have to admit they are also wonderful for my own enjoyment as well, and my colleagues are even starting to warm up to them.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hi all!
Thank you for all the advice and suggestions when I joined this board. Based on many recommendations, I purchased a Euathlus sp "red" mature female and she arrived a few days ago. I had an enclosure set up for her but I just didn't expect her to be quite so small. She was in a 5.5 gallon aquarium with acrylic drilled top. That thing was just way too big so I will hold on to it for my A. anax to move into someday. Even after dumping a whole bag of Eco earth in there, the distance from the top to the ground was too far and definitely a dangerous falling risk.

I have her in a new enclosure now. Still a bit big for her but since they like to explore I think it could be ok. She's about 2.75 inches and distance from top to the substrate is about 3.25 inches. She has a hide and a water dish. So how does it look? So far she's climbing all over to check it out. The lid to this enclosure lifts off rather easily, there is no clasp but is that ok?Also I gave her a wax worm and she walked over it without even caring!

I tried to get a good picture of her but the lighting isn't great and I dare not lift the lid because she will cruise right out of the enclosure. She is lovely and very curious. Her name is Ramona.

Edited to add: I also have a 5 month old sling, her baby. It is in a small deli cup with semi damp Eco earth and some spagnum moss. No sign of that baby today so I'm assuming they are buried/burrowing.

I like that enclosure you have great length and very clear, where online can I buy one from?

Is that glass?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you @crone. My name isn't Vanessa though

Nosy is a good word for this T. She just pops out to see what's up whenever she can. She even ended up walking on my hand yesterday. I was shocked. Such a change from my A anax, who lives in a hole and hides out. Since I have my Ts for phobia work with clients, this is just perfect. I have to admit they are also wonderful for my own enjoyment as well, and my colleagues are even starting to warm up to them.
:astonished: :embarrassed::sorry::bag::bag:
Sorry. Was thinking about Vanessa's thread:banghead::banghead:
Anyhow I'm so glad you're having fun with that snoopy little girl!!!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
:astonished: :embarrassed::sorry::bag::bag:
Sorry. Was thinking about Vanessa's thread:banghead::banghead:
Anyhow I'm so glad you're having fun with that snoopy little girl!!!
No problem! @VanessaS is also a fan of this species and I've happily read her posts about her slings! We should all start a fan club! Or maybe that's what this board is...

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hey all- one last question about the enclosure- are there enough ventilation holes? I drilled several rows on two sides. You can see them in the picture. She is walking around the enclosure a lot, roaming and climbing and walks out whenever I open the top. I know she might just be settling in but also want to make sure she is in a safe set up.

Is there a way to know if there are enough ventilation holes? Like a formula or something?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Is there a way to know if there are enough ventilation holes? Like a formula or something?
Not that I am aware of. With these guys I'd add a few around the edge and a few on the lid (or maybe all of them on the lid). Then as long as you don't have condensation build up you should be fine.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Not that I am aware of. With these guys I'd add a few around the edge and a few on the lid (or maybe all of them on the lid). Then as long as you don't have condensation build up you should be fine.
Thanks. My A anax sling is in an enclosure that I am quite sure needs more holes as it has had some condensation. However he is burrowed and looking bloated, for over a week now. Best to wait until after he molts to fix that, yes?