My new tarantulas I've been wanting

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Got some tarantulas at a reptile show today that I've been hoping to get for a while now!
Juvenile female Euathlus sp. red

I couldn't resist holding this one...

Extremely tiny baby Euathlus sp. red

Cyriocosmus elegans sling

And lastly a Caribena Versicolor sling
Also, here's a picture of all 9 of my tarantulas on their shelf UrMORS8.jpg

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
That's practically an adult C. elegans.
Really? All the adult pictures and videos I've seen make them seem a lot larger. This one is only like 3/4" and I've heard they generally get about an inch and a half.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Congrats on the new additions!
I would rehouse the C.versicolor into a delicup that has more height than floor space, since they are a species that are arboreal from sling to adult. :)

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new additions!
I would rehouse the C.versicolor into a delicup that has more height than floor space, since they are a species that are arboreal from sling to adult. :)
Thanks for the heads up, I was actually wondering about that but didn't get to asking it. I will change it next time I go to the store and find something more suitable. Right now all I have are condiment cups, pill vials, and the short deli cups.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
Really? All the adult pictures and videos I've seen make them seem a lot larger. This one is only like 3/4" and I've heard they generally get about an inch and a half.
It was kind of a joke. They do generally grow to be about 1-1/2".

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Nice adds, especially the E. Sp. Red female and sling. You will definitely have your hands full (they are adventerous bulldozers)

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Nice adds, especially the E. Sp. Red female and sling. You will definitely have your hands full (they are adventerous bulldozers)
Yeah, I'm already learning how adventurous they are. When I tried feeding the female yesterday, the only thing she was interested in was what was outside the enclosure. She's definitely my current favorite.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
at least remove most of the sub from the versis cage. they are arboreal. thats like having a terrestrial in a arboreal set up, bad idea.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
at least remove most of the sub from the versis cage. they are arboreal. thats like having a terrestrial in a arboreal set up, bad idea.
I don't know why I didn't think of at least lowering the substrate for now...
I know they're arboreal but I just didn't have anything of proper size to rehouse it in yet. I was mostly just happy that it came in something that was well ventilated and had room for a cap of water.
I'll lower the substrate for now and find a spice container or something next time I go to the store.
Thanks for the advice!

Edit: That's much better for the time being! (ignore the dead cockroach) VSDcCaD.jpg

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't know why I didn't think of at least lowering the substrate for now...
I know they're arboreal but I just didn't have anything of proper size to rehouse it in yet. I was mostly just happy that it came in something that was well ventilated and had room for a cap of water.
I'll lower the substrate for now and find a spice container or something next time I go to the store.
Thanks for the advice!

Edit: That's much better for the time being! (ignore the dead cockroach) View attachment 237973
nice. let it dry out now and add a small water dish.

kamelspiders

Arachnopeon
Hey there, I recognize that versicolor. I actually have much better luck keeping them somewhat terrestrial for their first few molts. I find that a lot of times versicolors and other similar species pace their enclosures. This causes them to burn themselves out and a lot of times it kills them. This is why I put so much substrate in 2nd to 4 instar spiderling enclosures.

Enjoy your new t!
Alfie Kamel
Kamel Spiders LLC

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Hey there, I recognize that versicolor. I actually have much better luck keeping them somewhat terrestrial for their first few molts. I find that a lot of times versicolors and other similar species pace their enclosures. This causes them to burn themselves out and a lot of times it kills them. This is why I put so much substrate in 2nd to 4 instar spiderling enclosures.

Enjoy your new t!
Alfie Kamel
Kamel Spiders LLC
Ha, I'd imagine you would recognize it.
That is actually some pretty good reasoning. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be pacing much and settled down in a web hammock it made. I may just leave it where it's at for now then until it molts a couple times. Like I said earlier, I like that the enclosure takes care of the important parts by providing perfect ventilation and room for a bottlecap of water.
Thanks!