My New Tarantula!!!

Luke

Arachnosquire
Hello Arachno-world!!!

Just got this beautiful little GBB sling from Paul Becker of Petcenterusa yesterday! I just thought i would share, these were the first arachnid i ever liked once i got over my fear of spiders! So this species has sentimental value to me..(sappy moment sorry...) but ANYWAY the sling is smaller thani had prepared for so the following photo shows what he is in until i get a deli cup tomorrow..:).

(Cell phone shot..sorry)

And here are some "future nostalgia" shots as well:

(came right outta the vial)

Ain't she purdy?

"Future Enclosure" at about 2" or so..

And Just a quick question concerning humidity, I know as adults they need like a bone dry environment but i cant seem to find a whole lot of clear info on the necessary humidity requirements for slings..does the soil need to be slightly moistened (how i have it now) or what?

Thanks For Looking!!! And Thanks especially if you answer my question!!! :)

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Yea, haven't found awhole lot of info on care as slings either. I keep mine fairly dry and slightly mist once a week in the corner. That is unless it's very close to a molt. Then I do a little bit more. I'm concerned about mine though, as it molted a week or so ago and will not eat. I've had it for a little over a month and it is my only spider that refuses food. I had a juvenile violaceopes molt after it and it's already eating, so don't know what I should do... The crickets I'm giving it are REALLY small. Any ideas peeps?

Awsome shots by the way, they are freakin awsome!!!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'm concerned about mine though, as it molted a week or so ago and will not eat. I've had it for a little over a month and it is my only spider that refuses food. The crickets I'm giving it are REALLY small. Any ideas peeps?
My little GBB molted not long ago. It was a full week before he would take food, and then he preferred a slightly larger cricket. I wouldn't worry about one week after a molt, even for a sling, as long as all other factors are good (temp, humidity, etc).

Marga

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gorgeous baby!!

I have two GBB Ts which I got from Paul as well.
One of them is now about 4", and is so beautiful.

As slings I kept them in moistened coconut fiber, just moistened, not soggy.
They are awesome webbers even when they are so tiny :)

Keep us posted on your baby as she/he grows :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a link to a post by Stan Schultz that explains a bit about the way to care for sling, humidity wise. It is a different genus and species that he is referring to, but the care is the same for all slings at that size.

Basically, you want to keep them nice and humid, because their epicuticle (outer waxy layer) is not fully formed until they are around 2". Then at 2" you can start providing a bottlecap water dish for them and allow them to start drying out. You want to moisten the substrate, don't make it swampy, but don't make it a light moist either. You can spray the substrate, or you can pour a bit of water directly on it to accomplish this. You don't want puddles to remain though! You generally want to do that around once a week. If you see that it is dry before that, then you will need to do so a bit sooner. With it being winter and most people having central heating, that is entirely possible.

I would get that wood out the enclosure until it is dried out. Since it isn't cork bark, it is very possible for it to develop mold; and once that happens it will send out spores and will take a bit to get rid of. If you plan on using that wood, make sure to keep it dry for the most part.

Thank you for sharing your nostalgia with us. Those are some beautiful pictures of a beautiful T. I cannot wait until we get one from Paul too! :D

Luke

Arachnosquire
thanks everybody! i will definetly keep everyone posted about her! Starting with today! She ate for the first time today! Paul had mentioned that she was recently molted so i figured i would wait a couple of days after getting her to try a feeding. :)..i will post a pic as soon as i upload the photos!

Abby- A quick question, about how long did it take for your GBB to get that big? I understand that they are medium rate growers? Its not as slow as a Brachy right? ha

Thanks again!
Luke

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My GBB went from a sling to under 4" in over a year.

I am wondering if it's a boy, since it's kind of leggy :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Man they have BEAUTIFUL coloring, even as slings! There are too many amazing looking tarantulas tempting me to get more.