My New T is a Texas Brown, not Tan

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I feel real stupid. I had in my head that my new spider was a Texas Tan, instead, in talking with the guy I bought it from, it turns out to be a Texas Brown. No problem with me, I'm happy with it, but it does show the problem with common names. The are both Aphonopelma species, but A. anax vs. A. hentzi is easier for me to keep straight. It would also help if I was more versed in the differences among the species.

At any rate, as a Texas Brown, it is still a very nice and docile spider.

Bryan

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ye I find the scientific names mucho easier to remember actually, 'cause even if they change sometimes they only do sometimes, not every time someone selling a T is clueless or decide to get creative or both.
Only problem would be that it's probably a bit hard for most people to know how the latin names are supposed to be pronounced :p

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Vys - or spell.

I am still struggling with saying Poeciletheria (and I probably spelled it wrong too!)

Bill

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh lol :)
Yeah, with po..Po..Po..c-something...whatever..it is quite different that for most names, I find.
I don't have too hard a time to memorize latin names (how they are spelled), but the Poke..Poecilitheirhoieha for all I know :p

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, who really cares if you can pronounce the names correctly? Well, I suppose you don't want to sound stupid around other T keepers and at the pet store, but heck, you can fake it. :p

I guess I am at a bit of an advantage in this case. I am a trained botanist and for many plants all I know is the Latin name. Consequently, although I don't know a lot of the T names, none of them sounbds too awful foreign and I can usually pronounce them okay. Still, some names are pronounced in unexpected ways because people in the know simply preferred to say it that way.

Bryan

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess you're right; most of the time when you can't get another person to understand some name you're trying to say they'll eventually go 'Ohh! I see! You mean 'Gravallalowjojo Hobboo'! and you're almost certain they're not pronouncing it anywhere close to right. Still though , I'd like to know the real pronounciation, in latin, to know I'm right.

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on the new T. We also have a Hentzi and she is not docile at all. She is very feisty. Also Ron went to the ATS website and he printed out a sheet on the correct Pronunciation and meaning of the names. I think he found it in the article section. I have to tell you that I say most of the names wrong according to the article. Pam

scarkro

Arachnopeon
if u think thats bad try
eupalaestrus weijenberghi
(white collared)

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by pamandron
Congrats on the new T. We also have a Hentzi and she is not docile at all. She is very feisty. Also Ron went to the ATS website and he printed out a sheet on the correct Pronunciation and meaning of the names. I think he found it in the article section. I have to tell you that I say most of the names wrong according to the article. Pam
Ah, so you got unlucky enough to get a feisty T from a typically docile species. I guess I'm just brave enough (or stupid enough) to just stick my hand in the cage and go for it.

As for pronunciation, if kids still took some Latin in school, we would all find it easier.

Bryan

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes! I would have liked to learn some latin in primary school..nowadays it's just English. Although I did hear one of my american housemates saying he took several years of latin in school..I got the impression he meant primary..though I couldn't say for certain.