My new T. Apophysis

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it normal that my new and almost full grown T. Apophysis is attacking everything when i open the cage? It has been totally nuts this last few days and has been very unfriendly{D it has just this day allowed me to take the remaining food out without making a big fuss out of it, but for now i dont open the cage without some protection, wich means gloves(for the hairs) and a big bottle to trap her in:D

She is VERY huge btw.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What's the setup like? It just sounds like a defensive T to me, unless there is something going on in it's enclosure that it doesn't like (besides you coming in there to pick up the trash lol).

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What's the setup like? It just sounds like a defensive T to me, unless there is something going on in it's enclosure that it doesn't like (besides you coming in there to pick up the trash lol).
Ok i guess it can be the setup, i have had some feedback that the hide for her is to big and light. And she sit in the open all the time, so i gues i might look for another hide maybe! But she is bought very recently and i have not changed it because i wanted her to calm down first. But is it better to find a better hide and just change it right away?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you turn it around, so it's facing away from the light, it should be fine. the whole point of a hide, is to hide. lol. yeah, make sure it's pretty dark in the hide, and you should be good.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It could have to do with the hide. It also might be that the enclosure is too small, sometimes when T's are in a smaller enclosure they will treat the entire thing like a big burrow or hide, and be very defensive of it. Yet again another possibility might be that it is just a naturally defensive T. apophysis

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, the problem is probably the cage, size and the hide. At least that's what you should check on first imho.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok i will make some changes later today, and i will be back later with a picture;-)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok here is the new one;)
She has quickly gone under the hide and it seems to work alot better;

There will in a couple of days be added a dark piace og paper behind the terrarium so there will be darker in there.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
excellent improvement :) And that is one BIG spider! Can't wait for my L. parahybana to hit 9"...she's "only" at 7 1/8" (give or take a 1/16") at the moment.

Trying not to get any more T's until I buy my own house as I've had some unexplainable/strange deaths of my inverts since I moved in to this apartment...but then people like YOU go and post pics like THESE lol...

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great improvement. Impressive spider!

A friend of mine recently bought a female Theraphosa apophysis with a 12" leg span!!! BIG spider! And she's hopefully gravid too :D

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks;)

There have now been added a dark paper behind the tank and up to the ventilation. I will take some pics next week and put them in, i will get my digital camera there and the pics will be a LOT better.

And yes she is very big, and she is still young;-) I will try and measure her better one of the next days, probably when her mood is good, because she is not a nice lady, she is actually pretty aggressive when something enters the tank. Ask the mouse i brought in to her as a moving in gift{D But i dont feed her mouse often, i have crix and big hissing roaches for her;)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is beautiful!!! I can't imagine mine ever being that big, it is really small now, about 3 3/4 inches.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
set up looks much better, T looks awesome, I am seriously considering either getting one of these or a T. blondi

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She is beautiful!!! I can't imagine mine ever being that big, it is really small now, about 3 3/4 inches.
Thanx, she is not full grown yet, but she is a big girl.
I also have 2 slings of Apophysis, so i hope to get them this size too;)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
set up looks much better, T looks awesome, I am seriously considering either getting one of these or a T. blondi
Thanx.

I have never had a Blondi, but i can just say, go for an apophysis, they are exciting and feroucious eaters;)

And the setup is a lot better now, and there is dark now in her hide. She uses it a lot, so i think i done well this time;-)