My new T A Avic

goferris

Arachnopeon
i just got an avic yesterday and put it in it's new home and it hasn't left the walls of it's container for a minute. is this normal? the cage is a good size critter keeper, i have some fairly moist coconut based substrate, a water dish, and a piece of drift wood or grape vine or whatever for it to climb on.
i have heard that when they just chill on the wall that could be a sign of stress. my other t (a B. Albo) is doing great in it's enclosure but this one hasn't done anything since i put it in there. :? i just put a couple crix in there thinking that it might be hungry but it hasn't paid any attention to them.
any tips would be very beneficial. thanks.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
avics are arboreal, and so they like to stay up on the walls. mine took a few days to take to her half-log i had rigged to the wall. it may also take it a while to start webbing.

but as long as water is available, just let him/her settle in :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
should i take the crix out of the container?
If they aren't eaten after 24 hours, then yes. You don't want to take the chance the T might be about to molt, and crickets will try to take a bite out of anything they can (molt or no).

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi just give it time as it is arboreal give it water and get the crix out of there let it move around its new home and it will be happy and then give it 1-2 crix just look and enjoy your new ( t ) good luck :) ;) -- phil

goferris

Arachnopeon
about how long do you think until it starts to get settled in and should start acting normal?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i think ( t ) are like some humans some are happy and settled in days of move and some take days months or years its all new to the ( t )so just keep your eyes on it and you know when happy in its home :clap: :worship: -- phil

goferris

Arachnopeon
would it make a big difference if it was captive bred or wild caught?
my friend said that it might be wild caught due to the smaller sized abdomen.

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in time it will be ok if it is wc ? then it will be hard for it but a lot are cb just give it time and good luck with him or her -- phil

goferris

Arachnopeon
i am just too impatient {D i want to see it in all its glory:} my friend also said to mist the walls every couple days and that might help as well.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Avics in general are a little nervous and my A. avic was the most nervous of all of them. When we rehoused him we had to rip down his web, it took him months to build another one. He finally did though. Yours will settle in, it just may take several weeks to several months before it starts webbing. It may not eat well until it get settled either.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my friend said that it might be wild caught due to the smaller sized abdomen.
That doesn't mean anything--captive-bred Ts also have small abdomens after every molt, which SLOWLY grow fat again as they store up more food for the next molt. :)

goferris

Arachnopeon
how long should i wait til i attempt to feed it again? a couple days or maybe even a week?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how long should i wait til i attempt to feed it again? a couple days or maybe even a week?
You should only be feeding once a week anyway, so that's as good a timespan as any. :) Keep in mind that tarantulas do NOT starve easily...I just had a rosea casually not eat for six months before molting on me. The record for Ts not eating is several years. So don't panic, now. :)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know the pet store he got the Avic avic from (jays jungle) and I think most of Jays stock is WC the difference this would make is that many times from what Ive seen CB Ts are fed better then WC Ts. This Avic avic has also been in that pet store scence before christmas. Also from what I understand WC Ts get a little more shaken up then CB because they travel a little longer to get to us and in some cases they take a little longer to go back to normal eatting habits.
scott

goferris

Arachnopeon
ok it's been a week and i am currently trying to feed it again. but it doesn't seem to take any interest in the crix. how long should i wait before i start to worry? a month or so? i am sure i am being paranoid but still. are avic avics usually finicky eaters or what?