My new super big black gigantea & aff.gigantea(white leg) eating scorpion

trexpp

Arachnopeon
I agree that this wasn't necessary, however, I don't think that the suppression of views we don't like is a path we should travel down, even if we know them to be wrong. Sure, its just a few centipede-eating-scorpion videos, but where do we draw the line between what is acceptable and what is unacceptable? And who gets to decide what is and isn't acceptable? The idea of suppressing things like this, while insignificant now, could mushroom to create serious problems, especially when what is right and wrong has different, often polarized interpretations.

Please know that I am by no means condoning or supporting the spread of false information, but I do hold strongly that we will be on the way down when we start muzzling those we disagree with.

From what I understand the problem is more of the possibility of injuring/killing a very expensive centipede via a feeder for views. I have seen scorpions used as food for centipedes before, and I think that is perfectly fine so long as some precautions are taken, the first of which is making sure the scorpion is sedated/already dead. Why if the size difference is so extreme? Murphy's Law; "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong", and in this case it is possible (even if not plausible) that the scorpion could find a handle on the centipedes antenna and severely injure it.

That's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thank you for your good comments logically.
First of all, I cut the poison needles and tongs before giving them to the centipede, but I wish I had written them down in advance, which is unfortunate. Thank you for your comments.

trexpp

Arachnopeon
Actually it is basically useless from a research standpoint. There is nothing new to learn or even significant from this
I totally agree with you. This video is not for research at all. Rather, it is more about purpose for youtube hit. But it's certainly not that I didn't think of centipede's welfare. The scorpion's sting and tongs were cut off, and the scorpion was a food I used to keep paying centipede. Thank you for your comments.

I'd like to sincerely apologize to everyone who criticized me, but I'm not good at English, so... I'm not sure if my apologies will be delivered enough. I'm sorry to apologize this much. Below is what I want to say to everyone.

I didn't know there were so many comments on this comment.
First, the tongs and tails of the scorpion were cut before feeding it to centipede.
In fact, I've fed the scorpions to the centipede once a month or two.
As you say, of course I am interested in the YouTube hit. (of course I don't think it'll be hit...)
However, it is not that I am not interested in the welfare of the centipede.
I think this video was too rash.
Thanks for telling me your point of view, it stings, but I can reflect.
I'm sorry.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Actually it is basically useless from a research standpoint. There is nothing new to learn or even significant from this
Yes, that's exactly what I said...
What I meant was videos like this can sometimes, keywords sometimes, be useful.
For example I've seen this very blury video presumably taken in Africa by a bunch of locals cheering on a solifugae that's killing ants. They obviously had no intention for doing that for research purpose, but that video ended up being one of the few footage I can find of that species.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thank you for your good comments logically.
First of all, I cut the poison needles and tongs before giving them to the centipede, but I wish I had written them down in advance, which is unfortunate. Thank you for your comments.
You CUT the sting point off the scorpion for the sake of the centipede?

What a hero...........

You're repugnant.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I posted a vid on youtube showing a native centipede catching native prey specifically FOR research purposes, stated it as such with few details to note and youtube still took it down because of one irrational person.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You CUT the sting point off the scorpion for the sake of the centipede?

What a hero...........

You're repugnant.
I recently saw a YouTube video of a live mouse thrown into an Arawana fish tank. As the mouse was alien food source for the fish the mouse was panicking trying to not drown and stay on the surface. This " scientific" experiment carried on for several minutes -- but obviously not for YouTube benefit. To all on this thread that comment on " not black and white or two sides to any argument -- watch the Arawana video -- then get a life!!. @basin79 totally agree with your comments.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I recently saw a YouTube video of a live mouse thrown into an Arawana fish tank. As the mouse was alien food source for the fish the mouse was panicking trying to not drown and stay on the surface. This " scientific" experiment carried on for several minutes -- but obviously not for YouTube benefit. To all on this thread that comment on " not black and white or two sides to any argument -- watch the Arawana video -- then get a life!!. @basin79 totally agree with your comments.
Videos like that are all about views and nothing about their pet's well being.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Cutting off the stinger...In my opinion that just makes it sorse; if you had fed it prekilled then that would’ve been better but at that point it’s basically defenseless...also there’s tons of other feeder options like larger roaches and frozen mice; why use a scorpion instead of those?

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
What the heck? This is to me is the equivalent of a "normal" person watching dogs (one huge and one smaller with apparently no teeth) fight to the death for fun. Absolutely terrible.

Yeah, centipedes are very resistant to venom. In fact, there are people studying this aspect of centipedes (along with the venom's components) right now. And yeah centipedes can regrow limbs. But have you ever heard of an infection?

I don't believe in censorship (must be the American in me) but people should not support this behavior. What was gained in this? All you got was unnecessary risks and suffering and maybe a few clicks.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Cutting off the stinger...In my opinion that just makes it sorse; if you had fed it prekilled then that would’ve been better but at that point it’s basically defenseless...also there’s tons of other feeder options like larger roaches and frozen mice; why use a scorpion instead of those?
Scolopendra mutilan and Hetermetrus petersi are widely available feeders in Asia, they are used to feed lots of larger animals. Also I would be more against the frozen mice thing, they are hard to digest and probably pose more threat than a live scorpion with no stinger.