My new super big black gigantea & aff.gigantea(white leg) eating scorpion

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While I understand that centipedes are predators and eat other animals, choosing to feed it a live scorpion seems like a reckless and unnecessary risk - the sort of thing that people do when they are more interested in youtube hits than in the well being of their animals.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I know a scorpion doesn't really stand a chance against a pede that size, but the fact that you're feeding your pedes potentially dangerous prey when harmless alternatives are all around suggests you care more about views than your animals' welfare.

ArachnoChino

Arachnopeon
Damn bro you don't care if it pinches something off your pedes? I would be super annoyed since those are not cheap.

Is there even anything nutritious in that scropion anyways? So unnecessary LOL

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
While scorpions can be nutritious, that does seem too far. Already dead/sedated specimens work just as well, so why subject the centipede to the possibility of getting stung/pinched?

@trexpp, I am curious as to why you fed a live scorpion?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
So unnecessary LOL
A proper match up can help us understand how they attack harder prey.

The pede really isn't in danger, the difference is simply too big for the scorpion to do anything.

This is one of the things you will never know if no one did these things: bugs are definitely capable of aiming for the head/tail/claw/whatever pose the most danger.
(Plus, centipedes are incredibly resistant against venom, and they can regen lost limbs throughout their life.)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

The pede really isn't in danger, the difference is simply too big for the scorpion to do anything.

This is one of the things you will never know if no one did these things: bugs are definitely capable of aiming for the head/tail/claw/whatever pose the most danger.
(Plus, centipedes are incredibly resistant against venom, and they can regen lost limbs throughout their life.)
This was not done for legitimate research purposes. It was done for YouTube views pure and simple, with reckless disregard for the animal's well being.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesn't mean I can't use it for legitimate research purposes, not that there is anything special happening but you get my point.
By that logic, one could argue that it's ok to do any damn fool thing just "to see what happens" (or because it will look cool on YouTube) - regardless of whether it is necessary, provides any useful information, or takes into consideration the well-being of the animals - because someone might be able to use it for "research purposes" after-the-fact.

There is no need to perform this sort of "experiment" to learn how centipedes attack prey. That has already been well-documented many times. The only reason for doing something like this is to show off and collect imaginary internet points.

basin79

ArachnoGod

If you want to see how a centipede attacks harder prey get out and study them in the wild.

There is absolutely no place for these sickening "bug wars" videos. It's a bloody shame youtube won't delete them.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Doesn't mean I can't use it for legitimate research purposes, not that there is anything special happening but you get my point.
Great point Bob!
I would.like to see what happens if you jump from an airplane without a parachute. Ya know, just for research purposes.
We could even take it a step further and say you could be forcibly pushed out of the plane. Just like that scorpion was forcibly put in the centipede enclosure.
Edit: I just used the best feature on this forum. The ignore button.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
If you want to see how a centipede attacks harder prey get out and study them in the wild.
I don't "want" to, as in have no desire to see more, because I can tell exactly what's going to happen...

I receive backlash for this all the time, because people can't understand the world is not just black and white.
I don't support these fights, and I don't do them myself, but I also see no point in painting them all black and slap negative terms onto them just because.

Remember the vegans that raided a pig farm and let out all the pigs? Because they think it is cruel to kill animals for consumption?
Now, I know there is alternatives to feeding a centipede.
But there is also an alternative to eating meat.

The simple truth is that life is not equal, our desire for something, in this case for the majority of people is entertainment, really does weigh more than life of other beings.
It really doesn't matter what is right or wrong, because there is no such thing.
If feeding a scorpion is wrong, then how is feeding a mealworm right? And then you run into comments on youtube like "How can you feed that cute mouse to a snake?"

The world is defined by our perception of it, and if someone's perception is that mealworms are pets and scorpions are food? Then that's how it's going to be for him. And yes I've actually seen someone feeding scorpions to mealworms... It was really weird to watch for me because mealworms are food in my little bubble, and that scorpion is supposed to be the pet.
And I really wish that he is wrong, because if he is not wrong then I'm wrong, and I don't like being wrong.
But at the end of the day, I'm not going to change my perception that I should feed that mealworm to my scorpion, and he is not going to change his perception that he should feed that scorpion to his mealworms.
Instead of bothering myself and that stranger I don't even know, I'm just going to go feed my scorpions, because the world isn't going to change for me or for him.

There are tons of argument that can be made here, for example:
AFS are not meant to be food
(Counter: It happens in nature)
You can watch that in nature
(I want to watch it at my house, I want my pede to feel like it's in the natural environment)
Then why don't you stimulate earthquake too
(Because earthquake can kill my pede)
The AFS can kill your pede
(No it can not, the size difference is too much that it's physically impossible, plus I removed the stinger)
How is it fair if you remove the stinger?
(Nature was never fair)
What's the point of doing it then?
(Because I want to)
You are a terrible person
(Why, because if I'm not then you are?)

This can go on for pages but you get the idea
Learning the subtle art of not giving a crap was one of the earliest and best lessons of my life.
Alright, the guy is feeding a species I love to a pede
I'm not going to change that, I can tell that I can't
I will take what I can out of it and move on
And if not helping one side counts as evil or cold-blooded and make me deserve to die, I don't really care, I'm not the US, I don't run around liberating people.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
There is absolutely no place for these sickening "bug wars" videos. It's a bloody shame youtube won't delete them.
I agree that this wasn't necessary, however, I don't think that the suppression of views we don't like is a path we should travel down, even if we know them to be wrong. Sure, its just a few centipede-eating-scorpion videos, but where do we draw the line between what is acceptable and what is unacceptable? And who gets to decide what is and isn't acceptable? The idea of suppressing things like this, while insignificant now, could mushroom to create serious problems, especially when what is right and wrong has different, often polarized interpretations.

Please know that I am by no means condoning or supporting the spread of false information, but I do hold strongly that we will be on the way down when we start muzzling those we disagree with.

I don't "want" to, as in have no desire to see more, because I can tell exactly what's going to happen...

I receive backlash for this all the time, because people can't understand the world is not just black and white.
I don't support these fights, and I don't do them myself, but I also see no point in painting them all black and slap negative terms onto them just because.

Remember the vegans that raided a pig farm and let out all the pigs? Because they think it is cruel to kill animals for consumption?

The simple truth is that life is not equal, our desire for something, in this case for the majority of people is entertainment, really does weigh more than life of other beings.
It really doesn't matter what is right or wrong, because there is no such thing.
If feeding a scorpion is wrong, then how is feeding a mealworm right? And then you run into comments on youtube like "How can you feed that cute mouse to a snake?"

The world is defined by our perception of it, and if someone's perception is that mealworms are pets and scorpions are food? Then that's how it's going to be for him. And yes I've actually seen someone feeding scorpions to mealworms... It was really weird to watch for me because mealworms are food in my little bubble, and that scorpion is supposed to be the pet.
And I really wish that he is wrong, because if he is not wrong then I'm wrong, and I don't like being wrong.
But at the end of the day, I'm not going to change my perception that I should feed that mealworm to my scorpion, and he is not going to change his perception that he should feed that scorpion to his mealworms.
Instead of bothering myself and that stranger I don't even know, I'm just going to go feed my scorpions, because the world isn't going to change for me or for him.

(I want to watch it at my house, I want my pede to feel like it's in the natural environment)
(No it can not, the size difference is too much that it's physically impossible, plus I removed the stinger)
(Nature was never fair)
(Because I want to)

Learning the subtle art of not giving a crap was one of the earliest and best lessons of my life.
And if not helping one side counts as evil or cold-blooded and make me deserve to die, I don't really care, I'm not the US, I don't run around liberating people.
From what I understand the problem is more of the possibility of injuring/killing a very expensive centipede via a feeder for views. I have seen scorpions used as food for centipedes before, and I think that is perfectly fine so long as some precautions are taken, the first of which is making sure the scorpion is sedated/already dead. Why if the size difference is so extreme? Murphy's Law; "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong", and in this case it is possible (even if not plausible) that the scorpion could find a handle on the centipedes antenna and severely injure it.

That's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I agree that this wasn't necessary, however, I don't think that the suppression of views we don't like is a path we should travel down, even if we know them to be wrong. Sure, its just a few centipede-eating-scorpion videos, but where do we draw the line between what is acceptable and what is unacceptable? And who gets to decide what is and isn't acceptable? The idea of suppressing things like this, while insignificant now, could mushroom to create serious problems, especially when what is right and wrong has different, often polarized interpretations.

Please know that I am by no means condoning or supporting the spread of false information, but I do hold strongly that we will be on the way down when we start muzzling those we disagree with.

From what I understand the problem is more of the possibility of injuring/killing a very expensive centipede via a feeder for views. I have seen scorpions used as food for centipedes before, and I think that is perfectly fine so long as some precautions are taken, the first of which is making sure the scorpion is sedated/already dead. Why if the size difference is so extreme? Murphy's Law; "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong", and in this case it is possible (even if not plausible) that the scorpion could find a handle on the centipedes antenna and severely injure it.

That's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Centipedes are very immune to venom, and can regen lost limbs throughout their life.
Something like this might be dangerous to a tarantula, but not to a centipede. Plus AFS's venom is nowhere near Androcontus or Parabuthus's level. (A house centipede can recover from a Parabuthus sting, they are incredibly resistant)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Bob Lee, notice I did not mention anything about the possibility of envenomation (as I do not know enough about that to answer), but while they can regenerate lost limbs, losing antenna (usually only if both are severed close to the head, but still) can be fatal.

That is fascinating with the house centipedes; do you have a source?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

basin79

ArachnoGod

(Nature was never fair)
(Because I want to)

That's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
You're both missing the point. This is a dog fight. This is a Doberman being thrown in with a Caucasian Shepherd for FUN. But because it's "only" inverts it gets a free pass.

This isn't for education. This isn't to feed the centipede. This is a video to appeal to the brain dead who are of the mind "Errr a spider squish it" or "I'd set that centipede on fire".

It isn't about silencing or a black and white world. It's so much simpler.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@basin79, I was referring to your point on removing videos like this from YouTube. I agree that the problem at hand is much simpler, but the implications of having these videos removed cause we don't like them is much larger.

By the way, I looked up the video title and description on Google Translate, and it implies a dog fight a lot more than it does a feeding video.

Thanks,

Arthroverts