My new setup for my GBB Sling I just received!

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
My new little setup I made for my new GBB Sling ! It's so cute !I love these little containers! I can't wait too see how it starts webbing! I included a little hide but idk if they will use it prolly just web over It lol

Attachments

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
My new little setup I made for my new GBB Sling ! It's so cute !I love these little containers! I can't wait too see how it starts webbing! I included a little hide but idk if they will use it prolly just web over It lol
Great choice for a T, they're fast-growing, beautiful, and always hungry.

These guys go through some serious color changes so watching them grow is awesome.

Keep the substrate dry, and you're good to go.

Enjoy your GBB sling!

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Great choice for a T, they're fast-growing, beautiful, and always hungry.

These guys go through some serious color changes so watching them grow is awesome.

Keep the substrate dry, and you're good to go.

Enjoy your GBB sling!
Thanks! Got their water dish and everything so we should be good to go! And it already ate after I just got it so I know it's got a super strong appetite !

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I have 2 that are starting to show there adult colors that I need to rehome this weekend. They are at about 3". Can't decide what I want to put them in. A forever home or something slightly smaller and rehouse again in about a year.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I would remove the Ivy leaves and water dish and add some anchor points like small stick and it could be ok. Water dish is not necessary in this size, it is much better to add watter drops every two or three days. Also, they build and destroy their webs often, depending on molt cycle, before molt they build a lot of tunnels, several days after molt you will have only empty box with white carpet. Also, water dish and leaves will be covered by web and make only trouble, because you will have to clean it. Also, when you add a cricket in a premolt and they will not eat it, you need to be able to remove it simply.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I would remove the Ivy leaves and water dish and add some anchor points like small stick and it could be ok. Water dish is not necessary in this size, it is much better to add watter drops every two or three days. Also, they build and destroy their webs often, depending on molt cycle, before molt they build a lot of tunnels, several days after molt you will have only empty box with white carpet. Also, water dish and leaves will be covered by web and make only trouble, because you will have to clean it. Also, when you add a cricket in a premolt and they will not eat it, you need to be able to remove it simply.
I would keep the water dish since this species likes dry sub. If you try to provide water only by dripping it in the substrate, you would probably either end up with a dehydrated T, or soggy substrate. They won't down in the dish, and the enclosure has more than enough room for one. If they web up so much that you can't get the water dish out, there will probably be some webbing thick enough to just set another water dish on top of (that's what I ended up doing).

When it comes to feeders, if you suspect a T is in premolt you should just crush the head anyways.

I agree that it could use another anchor point or two, but I don't think you need to take anything out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Good start. How long have you owned Ts? How many do you have?

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Good start. How long have you owned Ts? How many do you have?
Thanks I have a B.Smithi and A.Versicolor. Mainly just a hobbyist getting back into the swing of things. Had a Cobalt blue about 8 years ago and was restarting and bow growing a collection :) Btw I did add an extra leaf and twig for anchor points. Also really want to add an OBT or a P.Regalis eventually :)

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I would keep the water dish since this species likes dry sub. If you try to provide water only by dripping it in the substrate, you would probably either end up with a dehydrated T, or soggy substrate. They won't down in the dish, and the enclosure has more than enough room for one. If they web up so much that you can't get the water dish out, there will probably be some webbing thick enough to just set another water dish on top of (that's what I ended up doing).

When it comes to feeders, if you suspect a T is in premolt you should just crush the head anyways.

I agree that it could use another anchor point or two, but I don't think you need to take anything out.
If you have bone dry substrate, drops stays there for several hours. Also, when you feed every day or every second day and regurally add drops on web or walls, no problem with dehydratation. And for slings are small drops on web/wall much more suitable than dish. It is valid for all slings.

And crushing heads? All of my slings hunts, I am using only live crickets. But I never leave crickets there for too long. If T is hungry, she will get it within seconds/minutes. Not necessary to leave the cricket there longer. Premolt is sometimes hard to recognize, one of my GBB eats cricket in the morning and molt at evening, the second does not eat 10 days before molt...

Also, no matter what enclosure you do, sling will rebuild it every second day. Also, it will be destroyed by you you will open it. Send photo and experience after two months :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks I have a B.Smithi and A.Versicolor. Mainly just a hobbyist getting back into the swing of things. Had a Cobalt blue about 8 years ago and was restarting and bow growing a collection :) Btw I did add an extra leaf and twig for anchor points. Also really want to add an OBT or a P.Regalis eventually :)

Good luck with the P. met, they are not to be treated lightly. And being arboreal, are more to deal with as they run on the x,y,z axis more so than a terrestrial.

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Good luck with the P. met, they are not to be treated lightly. And being arboreal, are more to deal with as they run on the x,y,z axis more so than a terrestrial.
Thanks! I have a couple Fri nds who are local with P.mets and I am super stoked for mine! I'm kinda hoping it's a male!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
If you have bone dry substrate, drops stays there for several hours. Also, when you feed every day or every second day and regurally add drops on web or walls, no problem with dehydratation. And for slings are small drops on web/wall much more suitable than dish. It is valid for all slings.
First of all, how long the water stays in the substrate varies depending on what type of region you live in. I'm not saying it's impossible to maintain a healthy sling that way, if you want to create more work for yourself, go for it. I, however, will add a water dish if the enclosure is large enough.

And crushing heads? All of my slings hunts, I am using only live crickets. But I never leave crickets there for too long. If T is hungry, she will get it within seconds/minutes. Not necessary to leave the cricket there longer. Premolt is sometimes hard to recognize, one of my GBB eats cricket in the morning and molt at evening, the second does not eat 10 days before molt...
Super awesome bro. I prefer not to worry about needing to remove feeders. I agree that it's hard to recognize premolt sometimes, especially with a fast growing sling like a GBB. Which is precisely why I crush heads the majority of the time I feed, and it's not like the feeder is completely motionless after you give them a little squish, they still illicit a good feeding response. I don't like digging up hides and destroying webs if it's avoidable. But again, that's just my own preference against creating work for myself.

Also, no matter what enclosure you do, sling will rebuild it every second day. Also, it will be destroyed by you you will open it. Send photo and experience after two months :)
IMG_5401.JPG

This is the spider that webbed over it's original water dish. The original dish is still in there, but once it got to the point that I couldn't easily pour water in it anymore, instead of tearing all the webbing to get at it, I set the new dish on the webbing. This T has been in this enclosure for three months.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
First of all, how long the water stays in the substrate varies depending on what type of region you live in. I'm not saying it's impossible to maintain a healthy sling that way, if you want to create more work for yourself, go for it. I, however, will add a water dish if the enclosure is large enough.

Super awesome bro. I prefer not to worry about needing to remove feeders. I agree that it's hard to recognize premolt sometimes, especially with a fast growing sling like a GBB. Which is precisely why I crush heads the majority of the time I feed, and it's not like the feeder is completely motionless after you give them a little squish, they still illicit a good feeding response. I don't like digging up hides and destroying webs if it's avoidable. But again, that's just my own preference against creating work for myself.

View attachment 270681

This is the spider that webbed over it's original water dish. The original dish is still in there, but once it got to the point that I couldn't easily pour water in it anymore, instead of tearing all the webbing to get at it, I set the new dish on the webbing. This T has been in this enclosure for three months.

I checked some more resources on water dish and slings, because I wanted to be sure. And, for example, at Tom big´s Spiders I found that for juvenile is good bottle cap, for older slings too, but for small and normal slings is better to use watter dropper and put some moisture on plants and webbing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I checked some more resources on water dish and slings, because I wanted to be sure. And, for example, at Tom big´s Spiders I found that for juvenile is good bottle cap, for older slings too, but for small and normal slings is better to use watter dropper and put some moisture on plants and webbing.
Always depends, man. Always depends :)

There isn't a rule, there isn't a more 'better' or damn 'wrong' way to do things when and I say when the set up offered and the (needed, according to the specie in question) parameters are respected.

For instance, I've never offered something near similar as a water dish, to my slings, altough I love to suggest to beginners to use one, when possible. This because I don't nor I can't know how good is their 'care 101' basic level, so, since using one doesn't harm, voilà.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Always depends, man. Always depends :)

There isn't a rule, there isn't a more 'better' or damn 'wrong' way to do things when and I say when the set up offered and the (needed, according to the specie in question) parameters are respected.

For instance, I've never offered something near similar as a water dish, to my slings, altough I love to suggest to beginners to use one, when possible. This because I don't nor I can't know how good is their 'care 101' basic level, so, since using one doesn't harm, voilà.
I think that problem is somewhere else and it has something to do with physics, surface tension and capillarity. As far as I know, small slings are not able to drink from dish as easy as from very small drops like dew. Also this is the reason why to try spray as much as possible (no amount, but small drops like fog or dew) and put water on webbing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think that problem is somewhere else and it has something to do with physics, surface tension and capillarity. As far as I know, small slings are not able to drink from dish as easy as from very small drops like dew. Also this is the reason why to try spray as much as possible (no amount, but small drops like fog or dew) and put water on webbing.
I always loved to pour directly, in the substrate, room temperature water. I'm not a fan at all of the so called 'misting'. Yeah, can work every now and there, on the fake leaves, for arboreals... but aside that, IMO useless.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I always loved to pour directly, in the substrate, room temperature water. I'm not a fan at all of the so called 'misting'. Yeah, can work every now and there, on the fake leaves, for arboreals... but aside that, IMO useless.
You are right, misting is the best way for mildew :) When I am writing about sprying, I mean only small place, 1-2 cm in diamater. When I am giving watter to my C. versicolor sling, I use syringe needle and add only several drops to wall and webbing. No misting at all.