my new s.polymorpha?

venom81

Arachnopeon
when out last weekend rock flipping and found some s.polymorphas. yeah there very common this time of year but the last one i found was plane color no stripes or the red head and its a bit bigger than the adult s.polymorpha since it was rare for me i took it home.

Attachments

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dude, where did you find that? there is a debate on that particular specie. i don't think that it's a S. polymorpha.

venom81

Arachnopeon
el cerro colorado tijuana but cacoseraph also seen this guys in san diego.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
NM? There are those weird terminals, again. What's the BL on this one? It reminds me of this guy:

Inverts4life

Arachnopeon
They are the same species. Adults loose the blue. What it is I don't know. People are quick to say they are polymorpha, but characteristics like the longer terminal legs say other wise. I had an adult like the first pic that was 7.5 inches. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never caught any polymorha that was that large.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Inverts, you don't still have it(I assume it is dead), do you? I'd like to examine an adult. Mine is too small to get good detailed pics.

venom81

Arachnopeon
yeah! thats how mine is i wonder if is just some color morph or maybe a new scolopendra sp.since my tarantulas are not eating i feed it a small hissing roach and found a mess.

Attachments

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I say this very tentatively and hope nobody starts parroting until a specimen can be properly identified but...I think there is a strong chance that this is Scolopendra aztecorum:

From Turgut Kocer's English key for Scolopendra:

"Antenna with 27-33 segments in total and 15-17
sparsely hirsute. Head and usually first (second)
tergite dark-blueish colored and contrasted to the
yellowish rest of the body and light-yellowish legs.
20th legpair with 2 tarsal spines each.
Distribution: Mexico, Baja California."

That said, maybe someone with a sub/adult specimen could attempt keying it out? I'd be happy to forward the link if anyone's interested.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I 'tentatively' say, "you nailed the hell out of it" haha, lol, just kidding but that's the direction of my senses also, that sps I think is prob what is is. Wow, such an early sci ID, 1930's(?) and nobody on the AB posted the possibility until now. A lesson I take to heart is to question "ego data" that's so rampant on forums, or should I say, "in life in general", the internet represents the same thing, "people". I bring that up because some people claim to get burned by info on the internet and blame the internet, but the internet is people, the internet is not "something else", the internet is info from people. Lol, but like you said, we still need a solid ID to be sure.

Inverts4life

Arachnopeon
Never heard of that species before. Thats a very possible ID. I learn new things everyday. Would like to collect some more to take some detailed picture of the terminal legs, but I'm deploying to the middle east so i hope you guys get a confirmed ID on it. Will be looking forward to it. :)

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
am i hitting all the right spots?

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here is a few more

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Man, I think we're close!

Thanks for posting those, Jason. I couldn't get a good count on the antennae segments, but I *thought* I counted over 30. Can you get a more accurate count & figure out how many are "sparsely hirsute"(fuzzy)? That, and a count of tarsal spines on leg 20? S. polymorpha has 1, but aztecorum has 2..."g" in this picture:

http://www.scolopendra.info/anatomy/fig_12_legs_detail.jpg

I had another possibility in mind, but the range is way south. Then again, NM is pretty damn far from Baja. I don't know why, but I'm just jacked up about these critters.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
John, i will try to count the segments and spikes soon.

and H. laoticus, I will try to catch some more when the rain season come back.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unusual colouration, it's very plain but cool looking at the same time.

S.Polymorpha get to around the 5-6'' mark right?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man I really want to find a couple more of these.Hey KuyZo,you don't happen to have these at that place you told me about,do ya?I would love to go find a couple!