My New "Pinktoe"

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Just wanted to share this with you all. I just picked up this "Pinktoe" from a local petshop for the lovely price of 12.99 + Tax. Anyone care to tell me what unnamed species of pinktoe this one might be? ;)

Scott

Attachments

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
That doesnt look like a pinktoe to me !!! Not even....erm,....ok.....So,....about this baby Rosea that I want that is supposedly a male, how do I go about getting them to lower the price ??? From 24 to say....less ???? Ive never negotiated t pricing b4....

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Is that a mexican red knee or red leg ??? WHAT A STEAL IF IT IS !!!

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TO FUNNY SCOTT!!!

Now for some reason i think you know very well thats a mexican redknee...geez!!!!! hehehehehe!!! ;P ;P

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It never ceases to amaze me that pet store people can be so ignorant about what they sell. Especialy in this case, where any school kid asked to pick a common name would probably select something involving the BRIGHTLY COLOURED RED KNEES! :mad:

Still, I have also profited from this sort of mixup, so I suppose there is a good side.

Cheers,
Dave

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Hey All,

Just wanted to share this with you all. I just picked up this "Pinktoe" from a local petshop for the lovely price of 12.99 + Tax. Anyone care to tell me what unnamed species of pinktoe this one might be? ;)

Scott
and you only got one?! :)
is it an emilia or smith? kind of has that triangle going on with the carapace a bit.
Ed

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why oh why do I have to have the only petstore in town actually label their T's correctly?

They've got B. klaasi in there now for $85, which ain't a bad price (assuming it's a female) but I don't want it that bad. OTOH, if it was labled Pinktoe for $12.99, well, there'd be another T in my place.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
And to think I paid 99 $$ for my B. Smithi Damn, why arent there any stupid petshop owners out here ????

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy Spider Savior you got ripped off. In Prince George BC I got my red knee for 35.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
at the risk of being called a liar by a certain someone, smithi's in my area run (usually) $50 minimum for >1.5"-2.5" juvies. that of course is based purely on personal observation of price tags.

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Let's not personally insult the pet store employees. Many of them get played low wages and aren't properly trained. While they should be, to call them stupid is not very fair. Many of them are just there to get payed, and they happen to like animals.
While agree they should be more "intuitive", I don't fault them for not knowing scientific names, or for selling a tarantula for a lower or higher then expected price.

Pauly

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Re: My New "Pinktoe"

Originally posted by atavuss
and you only got one?! :)
is it an emilia or smith? kind of has that triangle going on with the carapace a bit.
Ed
They only had the one :( As for it being emilia or smithi, I'm going with smithi. I have an emilia sling that's about the same size and looks completely different. I have to agree with you though, the triangle thing had me wondering for bit. I just hope that it's not a smithilia or an emilithi. BTW, that's a joke, no such species, just my way of saying I hope it's not a hybrid :)

Scott

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

man lucky you wish i could find great deals like that, kinda reminds me of something read off petbug forums on myriopods, tim del rosa bought a 13 inch peruvian centipede that was sold to him as a veitnamese for pretty cheap i beleave, awesome deal scott---Jeff;P =D ;P

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Paul Day
Let's not personally insult the pet store employees. Many of them get played low wages and aren't properly trained. While they should be, to call them stupid is not very fair. Many of them are just there to get payed, and they happen to like animals.
While agree they should be more "intuitive", I don't fault them for not knowing scientific names, or for selling a tarantula for a lower or higher then expected price.

Pauly
Who's personally insulting pet store employees? Ingorance is not necessarily stupidity. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. This wasn't some 16 yr old kid, this was the store manager selling this to me. I don't blame her though, if it says that's what it is on her invoice, then that's what it is. I don't really expect her to know any better. I have to admit, she was fairly knowledgable in other respects. It wasn't her fault that her distributor didn't know what the hell they sent her. If anything, I blame them. She seemed to be really trying.

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: re

Originally posted by Weapon-X
man lucky you wish i could find great deals like that, kinda reminds me of something read off petbug forums on myriopods, tim del rosa bought a 13 inch peruvian centipede that was sold to him as a veitnamese for pretty cheap i beleave, awesome deal scott---Jeff;P =D ;P
Now that was a deal that I wish I had seen. Would've bought that pede in a second.

This is actually the second time that I lucked out with smithi. About a year ago, I was in a petco and they had some sub adult smithi's about 3+ inches. Price tag said they were $99 right on the tank that they were in with a picture of the spider on the price tag. There were three of them in the tank in seperate petpals within the same tank. I went up to the manager of that section and asked if that was the price. He looked at the price tag and said to himself "$99. for a spider. Let me go check for you." Came back to me and said that they were $23.99. I told him that I'd take all three. He gave them to me with the pet pals thrown in because he didn't want to take them out of them. When I looked on the receipt, they got rung up as curly hairs. :) I sold the male and kept the other 2 FEMALES and still have them to this day. :D

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tan carapace comment

Color wise, what you've got there would fit the popularly accepted description of the B. annitha.

Now, never mind that I've seen pics of "positively identified" annitha with the almost totally black dorsal cepholothorax, and smithi with a practically orange ceph there were so many light hairs on it, but since that's about the only distinguishing character between the two, there you go. (I'm personally siding with the ATS that the two will be officially declared synonyms eventually. If Termite (my annitha sling) ever does something to convince me she's not a smithi, I may revise my opinion.)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I'm siding with the ATS on that as well. I think it's gonna wind up like with all the color morphs of G. rosea eventually being synonimized. when they were originally thought to be different species. As with any species there are the runts, the average and the beauties. Why should T's be any different?

Scott

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
color is often the worst way to determine what kind of spider you've got on your hands, but that's only anecdotal information from a source i personally believe might possibly have some knowledge of the subject so don't believe a thing i say. stan schultz is slightly experienced with tarantulas, talk with him.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Smithi

Well Scott smithi do have alot of color variations, some are real intense and some are not as i have had meny of them and they all have diffrent color on the knees but always very similar.. right now i have this one female that is very drab in color but still a very sweet T. non the less as WeaponX got to play with her while he was here..Now some of the ones i had way back many years ago had some real bright color to them.. as a matter of fact better color than they do today with all the captive bred ones.. ;P ;P =D

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good for you! Kinda reminds me of the time a couple months ago I got 2 A versicolors at $10 apiece!
They were well over 2", probably closer to 3"
I love petshop ignorance!
In fact, a friend of mine just got a C thorelli adult female for $10!!!!
I won't say publicly where he got her, but suffice it to say, they have an internet presense, but apparently the owner doesn't know a pinktoe from a redknee either ;)
She was labeled as a *very* common species too :D