My new milli enclosure!

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
Check it out, what you guys think? :) It's a 54 gallon tank. Im super happy with it! Topsoil, shredded wood and dry white wood are the substate (and all the dead leaves). The light is only on to take pictures and will not be used otherwise.
Ignore the hydrometer, only just finished it and need to give it a good wetting
😂
😂
😂

There are six of them in here, but you only ever see two or three :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
It looks great! What species are in there?
Thank you!! Theres a smokey oak, an ivory, a texas gold, a chocolate, and a 'Spirostreptidae sp 1 sp'. They are all juvis at the moment so not at their full size but not babies either, all of em have been together for a while now and no problems yet :D
Heres the a. gigas against the ivory, or what I like to call, 'maxipede' and 'minipede' :rofl:

122692565_10225105157444398_8147596063786096647_o.jpg

Luc

Arachnopeon
Looks so nice!!! Are those leaves plastic? I dont know why I never thought of that actually, makes the enclosure look very cosy and also gives a nice hiding spot.

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
Looks so nice!!! Are those leaves plastic? I dont know why I never thought of that actually, makes the enclosure look very cosy and also gives a nice hiding spot.
They are plastic yes! They hide underneath them quite a bit. I wanted to make the enclosure look like a clearing on the forest floor, and the green brings a bit of color to all the dead stuff the pedes like :D

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Looking great so far. Out of curiosity, why only 1 of each millipede species? Are you only wanting 1 to prevent breeding?

Also, what type of top soil so you use as your carrier substrate? I use organic black earth as well as organic golf green for my carrier soils then I collect a copious amount of decayed hardwood, pick out the wild critters and then bake and mulch it into my soil. I also collect all different types of moss and lichen from the forest which I wash and rinse several times and then I put it all in a pot and fill it with water and bring it to a roaring boil and then boil for 30 minutes. Then I rinse it all again with cold water and wring it all out. Then I add it to all my millipede enclosures. They absolutely LOVE it! Especially the lichen. The lichen is usually gone by the next morning. If I have a lot of excess moss left what I do so that I can store it in Zip-lock bags is set it all out to dry first otherwise it will get moldy and gross if it’s not 100% dry when you store it in the ziplock bag. I bake all my decayed wood and leaves and boil moss and lichen to kill off any harmful pests, parasites or fungus that may harm them. I do not ever recommend baking moss and lichen though because they shrivel away and burn into nothing very quickly.

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
Looking great so far. Out of curiosity, why only 1 of each millipede species? Are you only wanting 1 to prevent breeding?

Also, what type of top soil so you use as your carrier substrate? I use organic black earth as well as organic golf green for my carrier soils then I collect a copious amount of decayed hardwood, pick out the wild critters and then bake and mulch it into my soil. I also collect all different types of moss and lichen from the forest which I wash and rinse several times and then I put it all in a pot and fill it with water and bring it to a roaring boil and then boil for 30 minutes. Then I rinse it all again with cold water and wring it all out. Then I add it to all my millipede enclosures. They absolutely LOVE it! Especially the lichen. The lichen is usually gone by the next morning. If I have a lot of excess moss left what I do so that I can store it in Zip-lock bags is set it all out to dry first otherwise it will get moldy and gross if it’s not 100% dry when you store it in the ziplock bag. I bake all my decayed wood and leaves and boil moss and lichen to kill off any harmful pests, parasites or fungus that may harm them. I do not ever recommend baking moss and lichen though because they shrivel away and burn into nothing very quickly.
Youre correct! And they are all female too. I have no plans to breed, they are my pets above all! :happy: I hope to get even more aha, always one of each species.

That substrate sounds tasty (for them xD)!! I don't trust the leaves around my area or even the dead wood, I buy all mine online sterilized from woodland areas, I could bake and boil it all but I'm too afraid I'd mess up something even if it would save me a ton of money. The moss too! I wouldn't know where to get lichen from but I might have to add more moss after what youve said! :happy: I'm using top-soil thats free from pesticides and the like, it was recommended by a successful breeder and store in my country.

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Youre correct! And they are all female too. I have no plans to breed, they are my pets above all! :happy: I hope to get even more aha, always one of each species.

That substrate sounds tasty (for them xD)!! I don't trust the leaves around my area or even the dead wood, I buy all mine online sterilized from woodland areas, I could bake and boil it all but I'm too afraid I'd mess up something even if it would save me a ton of money. The moss too! I wouldn't know where to get lichen from but I might have to add more moss after what youve said! :happy: I'm using top-soil thats free from pesticides and the like, it was recommended by a successful breeder and store in my country.
If everything you buy is already pre-sterilized there is no need for you to sterilize it again another time, this is only needed to do when you are personally collecting decayed wood and leaves and moss from your forest and local area. if you are concerned about what is in your area, why not venture off for a hike somewhere to do some collecting? In fact, I am actually going on as adventure to do some collecting myself! I just love it. It’s so much fun!