My new Hyllus Argyroxus!

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
I just received my first bigger jumping spider today!
Can anyone help me telling what sex it is?

At first it was very scared but now it is running around exploring. Should I feed it yet? Or should I wait till it makes a nest?

D3F1CC0B-CC05-4626-81A9-6321D011D19D.jpeg
Just got a close up. Those pulps doesn’t look male do they? :happy:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Looks very female! Also, feed it whenever you like. It will eat if it feels comfortable (and hungry of course) and it requires energy to make a nest, so feeding it before is good

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
Looks very female! Also, feed it whenever you like. It will eat if it feels comfortable (and hungry of course) and it requires energy to make a nest, so feeding it before is good
Thank you!
I offered it food earlier but it acted weird around it. Maybe a wax mold worm is too big of a prey for her?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Thank you!
I offered it food earlier but it acted weird around it. Maybe a wax mold worm is too big of a prey for her?
Sometimes it takes them a while to hunt the prey until they feel comfortable enough to pounce. Once my Platycryptus undatus stalked her fruit fly closely for FIVE HOURS before catching it!

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
Sometimes it takes them a while to hunt the prey until they feel comfortable enough to pounce. Once my Platycryptus undatus stalked her fruit fly closely for FIVE HOURS before catching it!
Aaah thanks a lot you are being very helpful. So my guess is that I shouldn’t remove the prey unless it isn’t taken at the end of the day. I’ll do that tomorrow. She went to bed now (she already has a sleeping corner even though she hasn’t made the nest yet).

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Aaah thanks a lot you are being very helpful. So my guess is that I shouldn’t remove the prey unless it isn’t taken at the end of the day. I’ll do that tomorrow. She went to bed now (she already has a sleeping corner even though she hasn’t made the nest yet).
Just keep an eye out to make sure the spider doesn’t get bitten by the worm. But luckily wax worms don’t pupate into beetles, but into moths so you don’t have to worry about them burrowing and pupating into dangerous bugs. Jumping spiders eat moths so it’s safe. Another thing though, wax worms are very fatty and more like a cake than a steak to a jumping spider. So great occasional food, or food if there is none else available, but they definitely need something less fatty. (Store bought) House flies and blue bottle flies are great choices and most jumping spiders love flies. Some even love flies so much they won’t eat anything else lol.

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
Just keep an eye out to make sure the spider doesn’t get bitten by the worm. But luckily wax worms don’t pupate into beetles, but into moths so you don’t have to worry about them burrowing and pupating into dangerous bugs. Jumping spiders eat moths so it’s safe. Another thing though, wax worms are very fatty and more like a cake than a steak to a jumping spider. So great occasional food, or food if there is none else available, but they definitely need something less fatty. (Store bought) House flies and blue bottle flies are great choices and most jumping spiders love flies. Some even love flies so much they won’t eat anything else lol.
Cool I actually got some maggots from a store that I’m hoping will turn into flies soon :)