My new hobby! carnivorous plants

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive always been interested in them and today i just got my first carnivorous plant! sarracenia purpurea

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice! I'm trying to get into the hobby to, but I never seam to have the funds :rolleyes:. If you haven't already checkout www.cobraplant.com for all your carnivorous garden's needs. ~ Rex

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hhahahahah ive been on it all afternoon, they arent expensive although ive seen
nepenthes go for up to 70 bucks. mine was 7 bucks i keep it in the sun 6 hours everyday and then bring it by the kitchen sink window where it can cool down and have all the flies it wants.
Tomorrow im getting a red dragon venus flytrap and a cape sundew from southern africa

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been keeping CP's exclusively for a few years now.
I keep some S. purpurea and I have a terrarium set up that houses about 8 different lowland species. I've also got a few different type of exotic sundews.

One of the coolest things about them is that no matter what kind of pitcher plant you have, if you keep it outdoors you will soon have some spiders taking up residence skimming off of some of the plant's catch. My native crab spiders always seem to find my pitchers outdoors (and sometimes come to live inside for the winter).

chrispy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ve also used queenland sundews to slow the gnat populations in the spider room. Its the only one that made a difference but Ive rotatated nepenthes sarrencenia cape sundews and darrlingtonia with varied results .A purpea hybrid is my fav outdoors wide pitchers that grow taller. Judith hindle variety has great color range white to deep reds almost purple. I have thousands of different plants (I run a plant nursery) and nothing could be easier to grow here on the coast.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hhahahahah ive been on it all afternoon, they arent expensive although ive seen
nepenthes go for up to 70 bucks. mine was 7 bucks i keep it in the sun 6 hours everyday and then bring it by the kitchen sink window where it can cool down and have all the flies it wants.
Tomorrow im getting a red dragon venus flytrap and a cape sundew from southern africa
I'm glad to hear that your enjoying your knew hobby... and that I was able to help you out a bit. If everything works out in the next few weeks, I may finally have a decent job which means more funds for starting a garden of my own :) ~ Rex

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
careful, some are heavily controlled by CITES if you are bringing them in. you can get in more trouble for plants than animals it seems..sometimes.

blackbird939

Arachnopeon
I kept them for years, but stopped 3 years ago. In Orlando, none of the species grows, or can live, natively. All must be kept in green houses or flooded with purified water more than once daily. One bad drought, (we experience many), and they are all wiped out in a day or two. I would love to get back in to it, but I must erect a greenhouse first.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh and you should get some utrics. They are sometimes overlooked which is weird because they are like the most common carnivorous plant group in the world! I keep a couple species, they've got the prettiest little flowers, very mini-orchid like, plus they're easy to keep and they've got the coolest traps even though they are really small :clap: lol, enough of the sales pitch ;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lol, guess they didnt catch it. Its probably the closest to this forum maybe? Though i'd have put it in the insect and other arthropod board since that is most of what they use for nutrients ;)
yeah they are bug eaters lol
hmmm
maybe they are chickens lol

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a venus flytrap man myself although I have none at the moment.

I had some from my mother in law and then I bought some more that had larger redder leaves which turned out to have lots of little plants that I broke up and spread out. I had them for several months and they were doing fine in a little terrarium with plastic wrap over the top to keep the humidity in. Although for some reason while my wife and I were on vacation our cat decided to get into them. When I came into the kitchen, there was dirt and dried up flytraps all over the place. One survived but was nearly dehidrated, I put it outside and it started getting better in the sunlight, but then the plastic wrap blew off and I forgot to check it for a couple days, and the sun dried it out. :-(

that story was longer than I thought...

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Mr. Wilderness...no offense but Utrics are usually overlooked because they are kind of boring.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Mr. Wilderness...no offense but Utrics are usually overlooked because they are kind of boring.
Lol fyi utrics are some of the most interesting and advanced plants in the world, and their bladder traps cant be beat :worship: all venus flytraps and aldrovanda can do is close together, and pitchers just have stuff fall in. Utrics are the only ones with vacuum power!!! heh heh. Plus they are some of the easiest to keep too, and for the true collector who doesnt want all one kind of generic plant, they need to get at least one {D

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
traps cant be beat all venus flytraps and aldrovanda can do is close together, and pitchers just have stuff fall in. Utrics are the only ones with vacuum power!!!
Um yeah, don't forget your magnifying glass if you want to observe it...
{D

I guess Utrics are cool, just not for me.