my new H. Lividum

ragingcobalt

Arachnopeon
I just got and H lividum from a local pet store. I know that a pet store isn't the best place to pick up a T from but this spider seems to be alright. it moves around at night and eats about 3 crickets a week. currently it is about 3.5-4 inches and MEAN as they come.:evil:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations on your T! I have to put this out there just because I know how pet stores are. Most likely they had it on barely an inch of dried-up sandy crap for substrate with no humidity whatsoever and a light shining in its face.
Just to make sure, I want to let you know how these guys should generally be set up.
1) DEEEEP substrate, peat moss preferably or a mix of peat moss/coco, peat moss/vermiculite. When I say deep, I mean 7" bare minimum. It should probably be more around 8-12".
2) Moisture!!! Make sure that the substrate is damp. Not soupy, but damp enough that you can pack it in your hand and to where it's not really dusty. I check on it about every 2-3 days and moisten as needed. Usually, substrate that is moist enough will have a nice dark color all the way down.
3) Warmth!!! It's not really a huge issue in my place, because I keep my Tarantulas in my bedroom with a space heater. I'd say it stays somewhere around 75 degrees F constantly. So far she seems to be doing well in it. Just whatever you do, do NOT put a heat mat on the bottom of the tank. They'll burrow down to escape the heat, not knowing that they are instead burrowing to their crispy demise.
4) A hide!!! Some haplopelma lividums don't need a hide in order to burrow, but I have heard many cases which a h.lividum burrowed under a hide. It's more of a starting point than a necessity. I also know that some people will make a "starter burrow" a couple inches down to sort of give them a hint. From personal experience, mine seemed to prefer having the hide.
5) Don't worry!!! Haplo's are notorious for taking days, even weeks to settle in to their new home. If she huddles in a corner, it's fine. She'll eventuall figure things out. But my guess is, if the above criteria are met, she'll settle in just fine.

Congrats on your beauty of a tarantula! Always be careful when going near these guys, they're about as cuddly as a pit of angry vipers sitting on glass. :D

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
I have just bought a H lividum and an very excited. I will hopefully get it soon, mail order spiders, i love it!!

I was reading Truffs post and you said that dont put a heat mat under the tank. I was just wonder what would be the best way to keep the temperature, as I live in the UK its not that hot at the moment :)

Would it be ok to put half the tank on a heat mat or best to buy a heat lamp instead.

Thanks

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best way to do it if you absolutely have to have heat, is to put the heat mat on the side of the tank so that it can choose whether or not it wants to be in the heat. Heat lamps are bad, especially with more humid species because it will dry out the air too much.
I have a small space heater in my room away from the tanks. It keeps the whole room a nice even temperature all day and night. Mainly I got it for my roaches, but my T's seem to like it as well. {D

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, what Alexis said. But as long as the temperature doesn't drop below 60 , you ought to be fine without heat at all.

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
Cheers for that.
Iv also just got a B. Boehmei, which is 3/4". I have used a heat mat the same size as the tank and its dug right down and is nearly living on the mat. Whereas my B. Smithi, 4", who never really had a mat unless it was very cold tends to stay away from the mat.

Do they adapt to the temperatures and humidity fairly well as i am a bit worried that the H. Lividum will suffer if its too humid or too dry. This is the first T that i will be keeping humid.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cheers for that.
Iv also just got a B. Boehmei, which is 3/4". I have used a heat mat the same size as the tank and its dug right down and is nearly living on the mat. Whereas my B. Smithi, 4", who never really had a mat unless it was very cold tends to stay away from the mat.

Do they adapt to the temperatures and humidity fairly well as i am a bit worried that the H. Lividum will suffer if its too humid or too dry. This is the first T that i will be keeping humid.
I still say get the heat mat off the bottom of the tank, they don't know any better and will burrow down to escape heat, only to burrow down TO the heat and kill themselves.
Keeping a h.lividum humid is actually easier than I thought it would be. What I did was before housing the tarantula, pour a layer of peat, then some water; mix it up really well, then add another layer of peat and add some more water; mix it up, etc. until I had about 8" of nice moist substrate. You don't want it soupy, just moist enough that if you pick it up in your hand and squeeze, it will remain firm (and not drip). If you get it that wet to begin with, it's easy to keep it moist. Every few days, as needed, I gently pour more water onto the substrate and let it soak. You can poke some holes into the substrate with a straw or your finger if you like, and pour the water into that so that it gets down deeper. Misting on top really won't do anything for a lividum because they're down below the surface. Moist dirt is more important than a wet wall. Mine stays at room temperature and is doing great. Also make sure they have a dish of water to actually drink from.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still say get the heat mat off the bottom of the tank, they don't know any better and will burrow down to escape heat, only to burrow down TO the heat and kill themselves.
Keeping a h.lividum humid is actually easier than I thought it would be. What I did was before housing the tarantula, pour a layer of peat, then some water; mix it up really well, then add another layer of peat and add some more water; mix it up, etc. until I had about 8" of nice moist substrate. You don't want it soupy, just moist enough that if you pick it up in your hand and squeeze, it will remain firm (and not drip). If you get it that wet to begin with, it's easy to keep it moist. Every few days, as needed, I gently pour more water onto the substrate and let it soak. You can poke some holes into the substrate with a straw or your finger if you like, and pour the water into that so that it gets down deeper. Misting on top really won't do anything for a lividum because they're down below the surface. Moist dirt is more important than a wet wall. Mine stays at room temperature and is doing great. Also make sure they have a dish of water to actually drink from.
Love all this info you are putting out there Alexis. Great stuff for newbies and good reminders too.
Question:
How do you keep your substrate from starting to smell bad? I had that problem until I mixed at least 50% vermiculite in and now it's fabulous, also I don't worry about mold now either. I also layer a solid vermiculite layer on the bottom so it doesn't get mold where I can't see it. Another thing I love is for my humidity lovers, I use real plants and try to duplicate their natural environment.

My H minax LOVES it! She has started creating little hides and webs behind the plants. I also planted some tall grasses which she sneaks through on stealth! I got to watch her forever tonight. She just steals my heart away, so beautiful and peaceful.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Love all this info you are putting out there Alexis. Great stuff for newbies and good reminders too.
Question:
How do you keep your substrate from starting to smell bad? I had that problem until I mixed at least 50% vermiculite in and now it's fabulous, also I don't worry about mold now either. I also layer a solid vermiculite layer on the bottom so it doesn't get mold where I can't see it. Another thing I love is for my humidity lovers, I use real plants and try to duplicate their natural environment.

My H minax LOVES it! She has started creating little hides and webs behind the plants. I also planted some tall grasses which she sneaks through on stealth! I got to watch her forever tonight. She just steals my heart away, so beautiful and peaceful.
:8o You're too kind!
The dirt actually does have a smell to it, kind of earthy, so I honestly sort of like it. I've been thinking of getting some kind of moss for her and my avic., but Reina (lividum) hasn't ventured from her burrow in almost two months so I can't imagine a crappy weed would make her cozy up any more lol! Who knows though, I still want to try it and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice! {D

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
Iv now made up a tank for my H Lividum which is arriving tomorrow *cant wait). I have used Peat moss and coco fibre for the substrate and i used your method Truff of a little substrate then water, mix and repeat.
Iv got about 4" in the tank, the T is suppose to be about 4" as well. Its not the best tank but i am currently building a bigger glass tank that will be able to take about 8" of substrate.

Any way i have now got a fairly moist tank which is around 20 C, which im warming up as i used cold water, probably should have used warm but hey.

Will the soil go mouldy if i leave 4" of damp soil in the warm??
And iv also make a hide type effort for her to start the burrowing, is this worth while or will she just start her own hole??

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@desertdweller-Does the substrate actually smell bad, or is it just the earthy stuff that Alexis mentioned? I find that a little more ventilation will help the air from getting stale and anything from molding, but I still have that eco-earth smell.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Iv now made up a tank for my H Lividum which is arriving tomorrow *cant wait). I have used Peat moss and coco fibre for the substrate and i used your method Truff of a little substrate then water, mix and repeat.
Iv got about 4" in the tank, the T is suppose to be about 4" as well. Its not the best tank but i am currently building a bigger glass tank that will be able to take about 8" of substrate.

Any way i have now got a fairly moist tank which is around 20 C, which im warming up as i used cold water, probably should have used warm but hey.

Will the soil go mouldy if i leave 4" of damp soil in the warm??
And iv also make a hide type effort for her to start the burrowing, is this worth while or will she just start her own hole??
You'll definitely want to put her into the 8" as soon as you can, otherwise she may not burrow. 4" is OK for now, but not for anything long-term.
Since you do have a mix with peat moss, I doubt you'll need to worry about mold because peat seems to be slightly more acidic than other soils, thereby decreasing your chance of mold. Unless you keep the soil sopping wet all the time, I think with proper ventilation you'll be fine. I've had my container moist for two months now and I get some condensation, but nothing more. You can provide a hide if you want to, I would use a half-log if you can get your hands on one. I made a starter burrow by punching a hole in the substrate with a paper towel roll, then covered the hole with the log. She took to it overnight, and hasn't come out since LOL.
My main concern is just getting her into some deep substrate ASAP.
Don't be worried if she doesn't get to burrowing right away. They can be stubborn when first introduced to their tank and sulk in a corner for weeks. As long as she has water, though, she'll be OK. I just wouldn't try feeding her until she's settled in, otherwise you run the risk of overly stressing her out.
Sounds like everything is going great so far, though!!! Make sure to post some pics of her if you can, because once she's in her burrow, you'll be lucky to see some toes peeking out of the hole every once in a while. (If you're really lucky, she'll construct her burrow against the glass so you can peer in on her :) ).

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@desertdweller-Does the substrate actually smell bad, or is it just the earthy stuff that Alexis mentioned? I find that a little more ventilation will help the air from getting stale and anything from molding, but I still have that eco-earth smell.

There is a fine line for me with this. I too love this earthy smell! Sometimes it takes on a tiny bit of mildew smell and that is when I worry. I have found when I include live plants the smell goes away. Also, the more vertical air space inside the tank, the more it smells sweet instead of that stale sour smell. So yes, you are right about more ventilation.

I have found that when I give my tropicals 80/80 temp and humidity they show themselves more too instead of hunkering down all the time. I plan to start using teflon lined sides so I can give my kids "air space." thanks for the ventilation tip!

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
OK my new H. Lividum arrived, 9.20am on my holiday, wasnt too upset. But that air of joy was overcome when i got the the new T and found it was dark with lighter grey legs, this looks like the male to me.

I was going to keep it in the pot it came in so i can return it asap, but my love for Ts got the better of me and i put it in the tank.

It wasnt moving and it took a great deal of gental persuation to get the T out of the tissue and into the tank. It really was quite cold in there and its was STRESSED. as soon as he was in the tank he darked towards the hole i made for her/now him and with in 5 mins the hole was closed with web. he must have some spider prozac, he gotr over that stress rapidly. Iv read about travel stress, but i think he was having me on.

We had ordered a Guaranteed Female, and at 4 inches you would have thought that it would have been easy to sex but hey.

Right now for my burning question, if i need to send this T back how on earth do i get an angry H Lividum out of its tunnels (as i can see substrate stuck to the inside of the web so im guessing tunneling has began) and back into the packaging that he came in!?!

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
Ok iv been looking around the internet and i thing there mite be a chance that i do have a female. I think iv just make a stupid mistake. Im guessing that in normal room light 60watt pearl bulb they probably look quite black.

Can some one confirm that, and is it true that the females are the only ones to go blue. Its hard to look as ITs in ITs tunnel. It looked almost black when i put IT in the tank.

I hope iv made a mistake and i will have a to send an appologie to the store owner if it might be a female.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you began a new thread on this but just in case you haven't read it, I'll post here too. The only time I can really see the true blue on my girl is when I'm taking a picture and the flash goes off. In normal light, she has a dark gray/black coloration. Additionally, if they are approaching a molt, they can become duller in coloration and appearance. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.