My new H. lividum (pic)

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's what my recently acquired H. lividum looks like now that she's had time to settle into her new home:

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i love the coloration!
the browns really blow me away...lol

Risto

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Somehow the fact that it's so secretive and reclusive only makes me more interested in it. I mean, what's it doing that it doesn't want me to see? :)
It reminds me of old Warner Bros. cartoon where the guy found the singing frog that wouldn't sing if anyone was around.
I think one night this weekend I might try dimming the lights down and camping out for a while to see if I can see it come out to eat.

Case

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very funny... mine comes up out of his/her tunnel every night and doesnt run away if i shine a flashlight. Of course, mine isnt the beautiful blue color yet....

kellygirl

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why don't you try a shelter?I give mine only about 2-3 inches of substrate and a shelter.I pile the substrate all around the shelter only leaving an opening leading into the shelter.She goes into it and spins a light web around the opening.She comes out every night and also sits in the opening waiting for prey.At least you see her often.I do this with all my burrowing/terrestrial species.They all seem content with just a shelter.I think burying the shelter and only leaving a small opening gives them a feeling they've burrowed.Works for me and the T's don't seem to mind at all....peace....

>that pic's too funny...caring for dirt..lol..

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
Why don't you try a shelter?I give mine only about 2-3 inches of substrate and a shelter.I pile the substrate all around the shelter only leaving an opening leading into the shelter.She goes into it and spins a light web around the opening.

>that pic's too funny...caring for dirt..lol..
I gave mine 7 inches of subtrate because I've read that the H. Lividum is an obligate burrower, meaning it's happiest when it's underground. Not to say that your setup is any better or worse for the Lividum than mine, this is just what I've concluded based on all available information.

I gave her a cork-bark burrow, but she decided to instead dig a hole straight to the bottom, so I'm not inclined to change it since this seems to be how she wants it.

Although I'm not sure how I'm going to give her crickets now that she's covered the top of her tunnel with web. I guess she doesn't want to be bothered right now.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i love the singing frog cartoon!!!! man, that guy was so mad cos no-one would believe him (that the frog was singing)...

my lividums are pretty much secretive too.. i think they're working on taking over the world.

i think.
i'm not sure though.

but they peek out every so often.. just to confuse me i think.
either way they're great T's

peace
dave :)

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I kinda want an H.Lividum but i kinda dont the colors are amazing but man if they never really come out and you dont really get to see them at all what the hell is the point your basically rasing dirt with something living inside

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you make an excellent point there dude.

many people have completely different reasons for keeping any kind of animal as pets.

personally, i love beautiful animals, but i only want PETS that are docile and easily handled. hence, i won't ever get an aggressive T or any other animal.

some people collect Ts, etc. as more specimens as opposed to pets. they like to recreate comfortable environments for the animal and part of the joy of having them is simply to HAVE them.

then again, you get same as above except they like display animals so they don't necessarily cater to the animals' greatest happiness or comfort so they have them visually available at all times.

i'm personality 1 & 2 type as listed above here. :)

however, to each their own.

to quote the great robin williams:

'you're either a smoker or a non-smoker, decide what you are, and then be that.' - Dead Again

:D

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
you make an excellent point there dude.

many people have completely different reasons for keeping any kind of animal as pets.

personally, i love beautiful animals, but i only want PETS that are docile and easily handled. hence, i won't ever get an aggressive T or any other animal.

some people collect Ts, etc. as more specimens as opposed to pets. they like to recreate comfortable environments for the animal and part of the joy of having them is simply to HAVE them.

then again, you get same as above except they like display animals so they don't necessarily cater to the animals' greatest happiness or comfort so they have them visually available at all times.

i'm personality 1 & 2 type as listed above here. :)

however, to each their own.

to quote the great robin williams:

'you're either a smoker or a non-smoker, decide what you are, and then be that.' - Dead Again

Well i agree with you im 1 and 2 as well id rather have the animal happy then have it as a display aniamal, butat the sametime i actully wanna be able to see it too not just look at dirt everytime i look into its cage..lol..you make some good points though

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, the colouring on mine is nowhere near as vibrant :(

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sean...i hear you dude, but then again you can always lure out with food. mmmm, tasty food. ;P

lopez, despair not my friend, the utter blackness of the void that yours possesses is amazing.