My new favorite accessory

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
20161124_164212.jpg

Boom. I think it's used to apply hair color, I found it in a Sally's beauty supply. The nozzle is thin enough to fit through any air hole you have - I've fit it through holes that I literally made with a hot pin. They come in larger sizes, but the larger ones I've found don't have the tiny nozzles. Great for watering slings without disturbing them too much. Also great for watering the less cooperative species, although it doesn't hold very much water. I'll pretty much only be using this for slings.

Side note: Looking for tweezers? Go to Sally's. They have all sizes and styles. Inverted, pin head, rubber tipped, you name it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Uh? o_O

But an old fashion and cheap 'use & throw away' syringe (ah ah, in Italy no junkie of once respected that rule, btw) isn't better for watering/refill the water dish? :-s

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Nothing wrong with that bottle but I prefer syringes of various sizes like these.. 20161124_200738.jpg The one on top works best for small slings enclosures or depositing drops of water directly into small webs for avics especially..( I blunt the tip of the needle on sand paper BTW) The larger one is for larger enclosures with bigger water dishes..

I got both from Walgreens.. The larger one is over the counter and the actual hypodermic has to be purchased at the pharmacists counter.. I paid less than $5 for them both..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The one on top works best for small slings enclosures or depositing drops of water directly into small webs for avics especially..( I blunt the tip of the needle on sand paper BTW) The larger one is for larger enclosures with bigger water dishes..
Where on earth did you find an actual needle? Outside of outrageous prices online, I can't seem to find actual needles.

I think that I actually have that exact same blunt tip, but this bottle has an even smaller tip. And the size of the reservoir... you can't beat that.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where on earth did you find an actual needle? Outside of outrageous prices online, I can't seem to find actual needles.

I think that I actually have that exact same blunt tip, but this bottle has an even smaller tip. And the size of the reservoir... you can't beat that.
Are actual needles that hard to find? I always have plenty of them on-hand, but I usually end up throwing away the needle part and just using the syringe. I get them from my veterinarian. (We have several senior dogs and cats that have needed injectible medications at various times, and it seems like they invariably throw in more syringes than we actually need, so when the medicine runs out, we usually have some left over.) I love them for filling small water dishes without having to take the time to open the lids every time.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't have the slightest idea of what 'actual' mixed with 'needle' means o_O but here just enter into a pharmacy (or apotheke :pompous:) and buy the syringe you need.

"Oh, you want only a 'usa e getta' ('use and throw away') syringe/s and not using me as ATM/Bancomat, thank God" muahahah :)

I also buy in a bulk those: cheap, they work perfectly, of best when it comes to pour water in the substrate gently.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/100PZ-Pipett...721498?hash=item33c161741a:g:j50AAOSwnbZYCIN9

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I was going to say behind McDonald's but it's way too believable :smug:... You can get diabetic syringes from the pharmacy at Walgreens drug/convenient store..

I like the volume of water that your bottle offers but what I do is keep 32oz deli container filled with water on a shelf with my Ts. I just suck up the water with the syringe as I need it.. Doesn't take any time at all really..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You can get diabetic syringes from the pharmacy at Walgreens drug/convenient store..
That's literally the first place I tried. No dice, for some reason or another. Although I haven't tried in years, granted.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's literally the first place I tried. No dice, for some reason or another. Although I haven't tried in years, granted.
Yea back in the day you used to have a prescription for them.. I remeber it could be Hell for my Mother to get them for my Grandfather..

If Memory serves correct one of the larger reasons they started selling them without prescription was to cut back on the HIV and hepatitis epedemic from Intravenous drug users sharing needles..

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
@EulersK, I use a similar type bottle for watering. Found this one at a dollar store, labeled Glu-Bot, holds 16 oz. of water. Came with several applicator tips to use.
I still have to refill it twice to do all the sling enclosures. Syringes can be useful, but when comparing cc to oz, I'll take the larger size. ;)
Years ago I refilled printer cartridges and the kits came with 3 small and 1 large syringe. The needles were blunt and have a larger inside diameter than a prescription type, especially insulin needles. I still use syringes when diluting paints used on leather projects, very precise measuring.

Attachments

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'd prefer the squeeze bottle over a syringe because the bottle is just easier for small hands and holds way more than any syringe I could get from the pharmacy. I still just use a spray bottle though. It's never failed me in all the years I've been water little critters.

On the subject of needles: The kind of syringe I'd get from the pharmacy was for intramuscular B12 injections. I think I paid like 10 cents each for them. The needles weren't removable and very, very easily broken, no doubt designed that way to discourage IV drug users from using them. The idea was the you gave the injection, then could easily bend the needle, rendering the whole thing useless. They definitely would have been useless for watering anything. Also I'd definitely stab myself on accident. No thanks to anything sharp anywhere near me or my animals.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For my slings I buy the multi-pack syringes with blunt point needles on Amazon and then throw them away after I feel they are dirty. I especially prefer them on sling containers where I moisten the substrate because I feel like it gives me better control in not over doing it.

But this squeeze bottle looks like it is worth a look even though none of my T's are asking to get their hair dyed. You would think my Avic Metallica which is positioned by my Avic Versicolor would be very jealous.

EDIT* Is this it?
http://www.sallybeauty.com/narrow-tip-applicator/SBS-198060,default,pd.html#q=bottle&start=4
I don't see one with markings like your picture shows on their website.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For my slings I buy the multi-pack syringes with blunt point needles on Amazon and then throw them away after I feel they are dirty. I especially prefer them on sling containers where I moisten the substrate because I feel like it gives me better control in not over doing it.

But this squeeze bottle looks like it is worth a look even though none of my T's are asking to get their hair dyed. You would think my Avic Metallica which is positioned by my Avic Versicolor would be very jealous.

EDIT* Is this it?
http://www.sallybeauty.com/narrow-tip-applicator/SBS-198060,default,pd.html#q=bottle&start=4
I don't see one with markings like your picture shows on their website.
Yeah, that's it, but mine was a bit cheaper at $0.75.

I actually checked the CVS near my house, and they don't sell actual metal syringes. They only sell the plastic ones, which are of course a lot thicker.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yeah, that's it, but mine was a bit cheaper at $0.75.

I actually checked the CVS near my house, and they don't sell actual metal syringes. They only sell the plastic ones, which are of course a lot thicker.
I'll have to check it out when I am near one of those stores. Maybe they are lower priced at the store.

Here is the blunt tip laboratory use syringe I have bought. It comes in a ten pack with the needle separate from the cartridge. The needle unit screws on and the cover then slides off. They don't hold a giant amount of liquid but I like them especially for the 5.5 ounce deli cups (which I have a bunch). I can use one for multiple weeks) but usually switch to a new one for sanitary reasons before the current one fails. The tip won't slide through a needle/pin hole without giving it a push, but they work fine with a slightly larger thumb tack hole (needle is 18 gauge - 0.050" or 1.270 mm diameter).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NT35ZVO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT* Meant 5.5 ounce deli cup instead of 2.5 ounce.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Outrageous prices?? Define outrageous? Knowing your species collection as I do, Mr. 5 Balfouri, among others, and you can't afford a few blunt tip syringes?? That's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the insurance :p:p

I bought a pack of 25 metal dispensing tips, Luer Lock as well, for less than 0.73 cents/tip. I've only used 1 tip in over 3 years.

The bottle volume is nice, but the tip isn't good enough for my purposes.

@14pokies and I are both all about syringes for adding water ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but what I do is keep 32oz deli container filled with water on a shelf with my Ts. I just suck up the water with the syringe as I need it.. Doesn't take any time at all really..
I do the same thing. It's so easy. I have a larger 30cc syringe to fill up the larger bowls for my AF NW terrestrials, and use a wide bore liquid dispensing tip so the flow is fast and takes only seconds.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mr. 5 Balfouri, among others, and you can't afford a few blunt tip syringes?? That's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the insurance
5 for $100 and some roaches isn't a Ferrari! Plus, I'm cheap. It doesn't take much for me to claim outrageous prices.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
5 for $100 and some roaches isn't a Ferrari! Plus, I'm cheap. It doesn't take much for me to claim outrageous prices.
100$ you dropped--exactly my point. But who knows how much those rare syringe needles may cost, my god maybe more than 75cents!!!! :rolleyes: