My new emp; telson deformity,

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First a Centipede with 4 "fangs" and now a scorpion with 2 stingers! :eek: Wow, they are preparing to take us over. Nice find! :clap:

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know the genus Pandinus had a subaculer tooth ;)

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
amazing

that's really cool! i wonder how that happened :? does it use that 2nd stinger at all in hunting?

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got it last weekend at a reptile expo, so I haven't seen much of it's behavior aside from it being more aggressive than my other emps.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe all the other emps made fun of it, and as a result it's developed complex anger issues. Or it could just be like my emp, wich is as vicious as my cavimanus.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting! Cool find. Now if I could just find that pede that got loose.:mad:. Is that scorp sexually mature? It'd be nice to see what happens to the telson if it molts again.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What would be neat is if it is genetically suseptable to this kind of deformity and if you breed it some of the offspring might have the same "problem". I'm not putting this idea in the possability box, but one can dream.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe a gene has been turned on that has given rise to a primitive state of the modern subaculear tubercle.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well according to wikipedia a scorpions can have a second tail as a deformity I'm guessing it's the same here. "Two Tails
On rare occasions, scorpions can be born with two metasomata (Tails). Two-Tailed scorpions are not a species, but rather a genetic abnormality."
Mark isn't a subaculear tooth more of a modern adaptations seeing as early scorpion fossils lacked it?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well according to wikipedia a scorpions can have a second tail as a deformity I'm guessing it's the same here. "Two Tails
On rare occasions, scorpions can be born with two metasomata (Tails). Two-Tailed scorpions are not a species, but rather a genetic abnormality."
Mark isn't a subaculear tooth more of a modern adaptations seeing as early scorpion fossils lacked it?

I'd say it's most likely an abnormality, it does look very aculeus like. I wasnt thinking quite that far back with the subaculear tubercle, more recent than that. I was thinking maybe it was more pronounced at some earlier stage and has since lost its necessity to some degree.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it's probably going to be vestigial. The direction it was facing was at a 60 degree angle to the normal aculeus.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is she still rampaging through your tank Jason? {D
No, she's fine now, as are the younger ones. After the initial confrontations they have all integrated well. She actually caused the death of my largest male emp and my male P. cavimanus. There were no wounds or stings, I think it was just the stress. Or the sight of the monster gave the old guys heart attacks:?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is one ugly looking scorpion. Good luck with that monstrosity, at least he has a caring owner.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well it's been a year since I found this one. It has officially killed everything else in the tank with it... Now I have a 40 gal breeder with... one emp.:mad:
Never have named it, I suppose it deserves one considering it's bad nature.{D Something serial killerish.
Community help?
Oh, and that separation of the mesasomal tergates has healed/ gone away that is apparent in the first photo, btw. Looked like it was due to injury or aggression, and judging from it's personality I'd guess the latter of the two.

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, that's....scarey... haven't you learned from comics, mutants don't like normals! Did you add any of them after you put it in? Maybe once the tank is its territory others can come in and be okay? Oh... and a name... hmm... for a lady emp Elizabeth Bathory, she killed younger girls and bathed in their blood trying to stay young... for a male... maybe Vlaad the Double Impaler?