My new breeding project.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is my new breeding project.As soon as I can work out male from female.
I will start.I would put more pictures.But the board won't let me.Thay were
not cheep.All I had to do was trade was a kidney and my first born son.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice! Good to see some of these guys in the US for once, even if it is just two of them at the moment. Seems like they're getting a bit more common on the pet trade.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got a bunch.Were in the two figure bracket.We will say more then ten.The board only
let me put up 2 pictures.I don't know anybody else how has one.Do you?I will change
pictures every couple of days.I can't find any information on them.I checked all the
sites I know.But theres nothing there.I've tried a bunch of searches.I tried Aol,yahoo and
google serches.But nothing.I can't even find care sheet for them.Theres are plenty of
pictures and thats all you can find.Any help would be great.

Last edited:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a bunch.Were in the two figure bracket.We will say more then ten.The board only
let me put up 2 pictures.I don't know anybody else how has one.Do you?I will change
pictures every couple of days.
More then 10 S. hardwicki? Man, you must've hit a gold mine. Nada, I don't know of anyone else in the US that has any, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they started to pop up here and there.

Look forward to seeing more pics!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No I have a friend who was going to breed them.But he fell on hard times and
needed money.I showed interest when he got them.Then he asked if I wanted them and I did.He didn't tell me were he got them.But I'm sure thay were imported.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rob You told me you were getting some of these..........But WOW :eek: You said just wait another week and when I got your call today I couldn't believe it Those are awesome I'll be down this coming weekend to pick up mine.........:D

:clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you ever want to part with any of them or have a successful breeding, keep me in mind.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Dillon,
All of the pedes that I produced will be for sale.I am hopping to produce
enough to keep the price afordable for everybody.These pedes are one of
the few pedes,that look better in person.Pumkin orange and jet black.Thay
look alot better looking in person.The pictures don't give it any justice.

Satellite Rob

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck! I hope something happens. We need Halloween candy for everybody! What's the biggest you have?

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The largest is a little more then 9 inch.She is missing 2-1/2 legs and lost half of 1
of her antennas.But she is eating well.My problem is that there is no
information available.Nothing on habitat,care or breeding.If anyone could help
with any information that could help.I hate to use trial and error.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are going to have to use some trial and error. I'd house them like other subspinipes, a lot of space and a lot of hides when putting two together, crammed with hides/fist sized rocks. I wouldn't "leave" them together. I wouldn't put them together and go to bed or leave to go get something to eat in other words. If it looks bad when two come in contact, I'd take one out and let them calm down. I'd keep doing that with diff pairs. I've bred a lot of Sc heros pedes, no subspinipies, but the common sense should basically be the same. I think it's important to not put them together if either one looks stressed out or panicky. If one starts running like "get me outa here!!", I'd take it out. You prob have fertile females already in the bunch. I'd guess the 9 incher is a female but so far, there is no known way to tell as far as I know, until and unless you see mating behavior.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to agree with everyone else! It'd be great to have one of these beauts in the collection! Good luck with the breeding, I hope it all works out great for you.

You might want to shoot a message to Steven. If I'm not mistaken he has a few S. hardwicki in his collection as well.

Good luck again, and keep us posted!

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Rob,

I'm going to buy a S hardwicki and I wanted to ask you a couple of things. They are quite dumpy looking centipedes, does it look like there might a slight difference in build between males and females? (i.e. in some other species the males tend to be more slender)

What's their temperament like?

BTW, I am so jealous! I can only get one of them! They are beautiful!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Billy,
I've never seen a Scolopendra as docile as the Hardwickei.Thay have never
tried to bite or show any aggression.Thay are the mellowest Scolopendra I
have ever worked with.I only had them for a short time.But thay never
showed any aggression at all.Over the years I've with worked with just about
every,over 20 years,Scolopendra there is and I never seen 1 as calm as
Hardwickei.But I don't push my luck with them.Because I don't want to be the
first to report a bite in the U.S and how toxic the bite is.

Satellite Rob

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you Rob, I've always preferred the more active and aggressive inverts but I did love my Scolopendra gigantea; he was like a big kitten.

I can hardly wait to get one of these. Beside the colours, they are really different looking from the other large Scolopendra species.

BTW, here's a link to one of Steven's posts about the care: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1202400&postcount=5

And here, about their natural habitat. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=125781&postcount=10

I was going to search for some environmental data from this region (Anaikatty), haven't got round to it yet because I just arranged the purchase today.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! Congratulations! The only suggestions I was going to make (looking up Galapohero and Steven's posts) have already been made so the only thing I have left to say is good luck! and looking forward to the results! :clap:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Billy +szappan.
I checked out stevens link and it about what I was thinking.I'll figure out
what works and let them settle in for a couple of weeks and them go to town
on them.Sexing still might be a problem.But i'll work it out.I hope.I'm going to
PM steven to see if he has any information about sexing them.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sweet!!!

Glad I got my foot in the door on these guys, they are sweet Rob, I am anxiously awaiting a nice chunk of the offspring, we'll have them spread througout the US hobby in no time, I may even have to keep a few for myself, never been much of a pede person but those are realy nice looking, I'm hoping you already got a couple gravid females so we wont have to wait so long to dive into some pedelings, I bet they are cute as a button, you know I have my fingers crossed for you bro, I figure with a group of adults like you have your chances are pretty good, pretty good indeed, talk to you tomorrow man & PEACE, B.